+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 Roaming profile problem in Technical; We have a problem with our roaming profiles (which are used for staff only) on windows 7 and was wondering ...
    Thank Post

Windows 7 Roaming profile problem

We have a problem with our roaming profiles (which are used for staff only) on windows 7 and was wondering if anyone can offer any advise.

I have got a group policy setting which redirects the users Documents, favourites, pictures, music, videos and desktop to their userarea. The setting in Group Policy is set to redirect to \\server\share\%username%\documents... \%username%\desktop .... \%username%\favourites. So i create a new user from scratch (i shall call the user "TESTUSER")... putting in the profile location and userarea.

When the user logs on, i can see the documents, desktop and favourites folders created in the userarea.

Now the problem comes on windows 7 when i click Start > {name of user} (this been TESTUSER) and it displays the local folders for this user. From here if i double click documents, it redirects me to the userarea... the same with favourites and desktop so i know folder redirection is working.

Now this is where the fun begins... so say i have clicked Start > TESTUSER and i create a folder in this area (im not to sure what this area is called, so i will call it the local profile), the folder will be stored in the users profile, meaning if they create lots of files and folders in here thinking that this will be their userarea their profile is going to be huge.

1. How do i stop users from saving things in here...
    2. is there a way i can redirect {name of User} link from the start menu to directly point to the userarea rather than the local profile

When the user logs off, i can see that the profile has been updated on the profile server store.. but i cannot access it, so, I make sure that the group "staff" has full access and the TESTUSER is a member of staff, thinking this would work.. but no... when i log back into the system with TESTUSER i get a nice litte message saying that the profile could not be read and that it is using a previous profile.. Now when i log off, the profile is not updated on the server... and the files in the local profile of the machine stay there without being copied over.

Why is this so awkward? With XP, it was so straight forward.

Thank Post
    havr you set redirection to move contents to their new location (or word to that effect)

Thank Post
    This is intended behavior. When you click the username from the start menu it shows the root of the local copy of the user's profile folder. This root folder is no longer hidden from the user, but is instead available for use. There is absolutely no way to prevent this with roaming profiles. You cannot do it with folder permissions or group policies.

Creating files and folders in this root profile folder instead of one of the redirected folders will cause them to be syned to the server copy of the user's profile.

Thank Post
    so what is the work around??? or isnt there one? I keep thinking that win7 is more aimed at the home market rather than the corporate market...

Thank Post
    This makes me want to check our config now, I know i've not had any problems with this. Denying access to the C: drive may at least prevent them from accessing the location.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    so what is the work around??? or isnt there one? I keep thinking that win7 is more aimed at the home market rather than the corporate market...
    BINGO, the reason I will keep XP on my systems till W8 comes out

Thank Post
    While testing out some stuff for terminal services I did have some success using group policy preferences to delete the local folders as the user logs in so they aren't seeing a local one and a redirected one.

Thank Post
    What you need to do is create a default user profile in the root on netlogon on your domain controller, then delete all the local folders in this profile that you have redirected using group policy, then when the user logs on and gets the new profile they will not have duplicate local folders. ( you could also do this to the mand profile of the users if this is what you use instead of creating a default user profile.

Also to prevent users saving files into the local root area of thier profile enable the below group policy for those users.

Group Policy

Navigate to User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, and then select Windows Explorer in the left column of the Group Policy editor.

Double-click Prevent users from adding files to the root of their Users Files folder in the Settings section of the Group Policy editor.

Select Enable and then click OK to save the changes.

9. Thanks to victory2009 from:

sonofsanta (20th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    BINGO, the reason I will keep XP on my systems till W8 comes out
    Hmmm, ive seen windows 8 on youtube and just looked at it now on the bbc site... it seems to me like they are keeping the same file system, so i think the same problem will exist...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by victory2009 View Post
    What you need to do is create a default user profile in the root on netlogon on your domain controller, then delete all the local folders in this profile that you have redirected using group policy, then when the user logs on and gets the new profile they will not have duplicate local folders. ( you could also do this to the mand profile of the users if this is what you use instead of creating a default user profile.

Also to prevent users saving files into the local root area of thier profile enable the below group policy for those users.

Group Policy

Navigate to User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, and then select Windows Explorer in the left column of the Group Policy editor.

Double-click Prevent users from adding files to the root of their Users Files folder in the Settings section of the Group Policy editor.

Select Enable and then click OK to save the changes.
    This doesnt work if you are saving documents... even though you cannot make new folders, you can still save documents liek word, excel, pdf, serif files etc...I cannot believe that no one has found this problem

Thank Post
    ...I cannot believe that no one has found this problem
    Well I don't think that is true, I have this issue as well, but sometimes there isn't an easy solution.

If you want a non-easy solution, make a user log-off script that checks the local profile folder for files which shouldn't be there and move them to their shared area instead.

Thank Post
    wells that's strange because we cannot when this is set and has worked for quite a few schools i have helped get setup on windows 7

Thank Post
    This doesnt work if you are saving documents... even though you cannot make new folders, you can still save documents liek word, excel, pdf, serif files etc...I cannot believe that no one has found this problem
    wells that's strange because we cannot when this is set and has worked for quite a few schools i have helped get setup on windows 7, there must be somthing strange on your systems .

Thank Post
    The chances are im wrong... but have you tried deleteing the local profile? then restarting then logging in again

or remove the profile path in active directory and see if it works? at least that way you can find out if its the computer or the profile

Thank Post
    The group policy setting prevents you from saving into the "user" folder, but not into the actual folder which the user folder points to. So that means you can save in c:\Users\joe.bloggs folder but you cannot save into the "Joe Bloggs" user folder even though it points to the same place.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast