+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Mixed XP windows 7 domain login times on windows 7 exceeding 30 seconds in Technical; Hi, I'm having a problem on my 2003 based domain. I have both XP and W7 computers working together. Up ...

Thank Post

Mixed XP windows 7 domain login times on windows 7 exceeding 30 seconds

Hi, I'm having a problem on my 2003 based domain. I have both XP and W7 computers working together. Up until about a week ago the windows 7 PC's were logging in at about 20 seconds which was perfectly acceptable.

But now logging in is taking 30 - 40 seconds.. I can't seem to figure out why as nothing has changed really.

Users have roaming profiles and application data redirection. I tried removing the users profile and app data but doesn't seem to make any difference. It will recreate the profile and then logging in is still at about 30 - 40 seconds.

I have cached profiles enabled as I assumed that would speed things up... like I said before a week ago it was just fine..

It's not anything with the solid colour on the desktop because I use a jpeg background.

I'm running out of ideas really, not sure what it could be.

Just to say I'm all for moving from XP to Windows 7 but sometimes I wish Windows 7 would at least tease you with a desktop while logging in like XP did.. At least it showed something was happening instead of staring at a welcome screen.

I also checked the eventvwr and its clean across the board..

Any help would be appreciated greatly
    Last edited by MaXiM; 1st June 2011 at 08:30 PM.

Thank Post
    Ok well I've made some progress after a whole morning tweaking. I now know it's Sophos Anti Virus that is the cause but I'm not sure what I can do to fix it though because I need to have sophos installed on all the clients.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    To get Win7 to give some verbosity to login events try enabling Verbose vs normal status messages in GPO. It can be found under Computer>Policies>Administrative Templates>System.

Also, I found it to be easier to maintain two separate computer policies for Win2k/XP and Vista/7. You don't need to separate machines into different organization units either. You can create WMI filters in AD and apply them to the policies so the 2k/XP policy doesn't get applied to Vista/7 clients and visa versa.

Thank Post
    Ok, I've managed to solve my problem. After tweaking in Sophos Enterprise I found some options to ignore scanning *.ntuser and remote scanning files.
    I applied this to the windows 7 machines and now they are doing 24 second logins on cold boot which is fine by me considering they are in a mixed XP environment with loopback policies etc.

Hope this might help others with the similar issues.

Thank Post
    Also, I found it to be easier to maintain two separate computer policies for Win2k/XP and Vista/7. You don't need to separate machines into different organization units either. You can create WMI filters in AD and apply them to the policies so the 2k/XP policy doesn't get applied to Vista/7 clients and visa versa.
    [/QUOTE]

I use loop back in merge which seems to work. i have an ou for my windows 7 computers with the W7 GPO in there which does the loopback (to apply themes and a couple of other diff settings).

The WMI idea sounds interesting, haven't tried that before but I have read about it so I might look into it, thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread