+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32
Windows 7 Thread, Win7 64bit and Server 2003 printers in Technical; Installing Windows Vista Print Drivers on Windows Server 2003 - Ask the Performance Team - Site Home - TechNet Blogs ...
  1. #16

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,680
    Thank Post
    3,210
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Rep Power
    361
    Installing Windows Vista Print Drivers on Windows Server 2003 - Ask the Performance Team - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

    The above seems similar to the windows 7 one I posted above although had a post on experts exchange stating the method above worked ( shrugs )

    Another thread is stating to delete registry keys that are mentioned in the error

    Headache Time Trying to Install HP LaserJet 2015

    Think im grasping at straws now as im out of ideas

    http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/M..._24805802.html

  2. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

    Sheridan (1st June 2011)

  3. #17
    Sheridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,283
    Thank Post
    110
    Thanked 86 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    28
    I think something must be wrong at the client end. I installed the Windows 7 x64 drivers onto the client using the RSAT tool. I also installed it onto the print server in the same way.

    When try to get the properties of the printer (that is shared) on the server on RSAT it tells me the drivers aren't installed and asks do I want to install them now. It does this every time I try and get the properties,whether I install the drivers or not.

    I can't seem to add Additional drivers at the server end either - it always asks you to browse for an .inf file - but I can't get this file as the driver is the Windows 7 inbuilt one!

    This is going to be a major headache for us if we can't use our print server with 32/64bit Windows 7. Another black mark against Win7! If we add the printers manually using the IP address then the print server is not used - not much good for us.

  4. #18

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,680
    Thank Post
    3,210
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Rep Power
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    I think something must be wrong at the client end. I installed the Windows 7 x64 drivers onto the client using the RSAT tool. I also installed it onto the print server in the same way.

    When try to get the properties of the printer (that is shared) on the server on RSAT it tells me the drivers aren't installed and asks do I want to install them now. It does this every time I try and get the properties,whether I install the drivers or not.

    I can't seem to add Additional drivers at the server end either - it always asks you to browse for an .inf file - but I can't get this file as the driver is the Windows 7 inbuilt one!

    This is going to be a major headache for us if we can't use our print server with 32/64bit Windows 7. Another black mark against Win7! If we add the printers manually using the IP address then the print server is not used - not much good for us.
    The HP Driver is it an MSI or exe file - just wondering if there is some way to extract the driver out of the exe or msi using the relevant switch ie

    setup.exe -a or setup.exe -x

    or

    setup.msi /a or setup.msi /x

    same for the exe files ref using a forward slash and either a or x ie

    setup.exe /a or setup.exe /x

    Obviously depending on what made the msi or exe depends on how its extracted, I have also found using 7 zip, winrar , or just renaming the exe to a zip file extension and extracting the items out of the exe sometimes works.

  5. #19

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,680
    Thank Post
    3,210
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Rep Power
    361
    I have always found PCL 6 drivers to be very buggy - just having a look myself to see if there is any PCL 5 drivers or anything other then PCL 6 at least

    As per synacks link - there is a PCL 5 version so I would use that for both the server and client - same way as before ( RSAT )

  6. #20

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,991
    Thank Post
    851
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    764
    Could be the install method, when we went Win7 we had to scrap a bunch of the old logon stuff and move to vbs which solved the mapping issues we were having. I know it is possible, we had 10 hp printers hung off a 2003 server for most of the time we had Vistax32 and x64.

  7. #21
    TheScarfedOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plymouth, Devon
    Posts
    1,128
    Thank Post
    543
    Thanked 152 Times in 138 Posts
    Blog Entries
    78
    Rep Power
    79
    seconded for moving to vbs. did that with all may scripts a while back. print drivers, particuarly HP recently are the bane of my life.

  8. #22
    Sheridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,283
    Thank Post
    110
    Thanked 86 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    28
    I get the the same problems running the command directly on the client as well though. I'm trying to get 32/64bit PCL5 drivers and try them out as well.

  9. #23
    Sheridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,283
    Thank Post
    110
    Thanked 86 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    28
    Right I'm making some progress here! And I think the reason I've found for the failure is pretty ridiculous!

    The printers are HP 2055 and 2025 models. Installing the x64 drivers on the server seeme to work ok but the crucial difference seems to be that the driver name for the 32bit version is "HP Laserjet P2055 Series PCL 6" and the 64bit version is "HP Laserjet P2055 Series PCL6".

    Yep - that space seems to cause the problems! When I finally managed to get the HP Universal Printing PCL6 driver installed on the server and specified that it works - mainly becuase both the x86 and x64 versions have EXACTLY the same name.

    I'll have to test how the universal print driver works on colour laserjets etc but this is a really stupid reason for driver to fail to install! I can't even change the driver name to compensate.

    Thanks to all for your input - I'm going to test this out further now.

  10. #24

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,991
    Thank Post
    851
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    and you just need to make sure that your 32bit server is using the same version as you want to add a 64 bit driver for, download both, install the UPD on the server and then under the shareing tab there is an additional drivers button, click that, x64 and point it to the location of the extracted UPD driver.
    Yeap, the drivers have to be the same version as the settings file that houses stuff like paper sizes and tray selection must be exactly the same and so transferable between the two architectures as the settings stuff is not standardised between some vendors hence the restriction. (Brothers excuses for drivers committed numerous crimes like this so any blame should be leveled at shocking vendors).

  11. #25

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,680
    Thank Post
    3,210
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Rep Power
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Right I'm making some progress here! And I think the reason I've found for the failure is pretty ridiculous!

    The printers are HP 2055 and 2025 models. Installing the x64 drivers on the server seeme to work ok but the crucial difference seems to be that the driver name for the 32bit version is "HP Laserjet P2055 Series PCL 6" and the 64bit version is "HP Laserjet P2055 Series PCL6".

    Yep - that space seems to cause the problems! When I finally managed to get the HP Universal Printing PCL6 driver installed on the server and specified that it works - mainly becuase both the x86 and x64 versions have EXACTLY the same name.

    I'll have to test how the universal print driver works on colour laserjets etc but this is a really stupid reason for driver to fail to install! I can't even change the driver name to compensate.

    Thanks to all for your input - I'm going to test this out further now.
    Am sure there was a work around somewhere - not sure if it was the same thing or related but before installing the driver that did not include the space, you can go into the inf file and insert a space and save the inf file and then install it so both had a space ?

  12. #26
    Sheridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,283
    Thank Post
    110
    Thanked 86 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    28
    That was the thing I was stuck on - I had exactly the same version drivers for both 32 and 64 bit - I just hadn't noticed at the server end that there was a space in the name. I knew the 64 drivers worked locally but not on the server.

    I might try and edit the .inf file to remove the space - only problem with that is the 64 bit drivers provided by HP are the UPD, yet Windows 7 seems to have its own 64 bit drivers for them, hence the confusion!

    Plus I just couldn't get the PCL 6 UPD drivers to install on the server, I had to do that at the Win7 client and use the RSAT tools to install onto the server.

  13. #27

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,991
    Thank Post
    851
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Am sure there was a work around somewhere - not sure if it was the same thing or related but before installing the driver that did not include the space, you can go into the inf file and insert a space and save the inf file and then install it so both had a space ?
    You can try but that generally messes up the checksum for the driver signing at which point it won't install.

  14. Thanks to SYNACK from:

    mac_shinobi (2nd June 2011)

  15. #28

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,680
    Thank Post
    3,210
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Rep Power
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    You can try but that generally messes up the checksum for the driver signing at which point it won't install.
    Wouldn't it just give you a message box stating that the driver is not digitally signed, yada yada, do you want to continue, click continue and should work ?

    I cant recall if it was a case of putting the space in for both of them or removing the space between the PCL and the 6 ??

    Hopefully it works

  16. #29
    Sheridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,283
    Thank Post
    110
    Thanked 86 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    28
    I'm stuck with the UPD for these printers I think - I can only get the specific 64 bit driver on a Win7 machine so I don't know where the relevant inf files are.

  17. #30

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,991
    Thank Post
    851
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Wouldn't it just give you a message box stating that the driver is not digitally signed, yada yada, do you want to continue, click continue and should work ?

    I cant recall if it was a case of putting the space in for both of them or removing the space between the PCL and the 6 ??

    Hopefully it works
    May work on 2003 but its not that it is unsigned but rather corrupted/modified/insecure and so even if it does work on the 2003 server the W7 machines will tell you to get jumped. I would just use the UPD, its better as you only end up with one driver on the machine if you have all hp printers so pushing printer out takes way less time.

  18. Thanks to SYNACK from:

    mac_shinobi (2nd June 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How do I add 64bit printer drivers to Server 2003
    By edutech4schools in forum Windows Server 2000/2003
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20th May 2011, 08:40 PM
  2. Sharing option missing - Server 2003 64bit
    By greengate in forum Windows Server 2000/2003
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 7th September 2010, 04:41 PM
  3. Upgrading print drivers for Win7 (server 2003)
    By RTFM in forum Windows Server 2000/2003
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 3rd September 2010, 12:17 PM
  4. PHP to work with IIS 6 in 64bit Windows Server 2003
    By MattGibson in forum Windows Server 2000/2003
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 31st July 2009, 11:50 AM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 24th May 2006, 07:45 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •