+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 Sysprep - does it ever work! in Technical; I've just about had it with Windows 7 and trying to get it to sysprep ANY image. Atfer many attempts ...
    Thank Post

Windows 7 Sysprep - does it ever work!

I've just about had it with Windows 7 and trying to get it to sysprep ANY image.

Atfer many attempts I only managed to get it to sysprep when the PC wasn't joined to the domain. But I decided to try again and got a fully loaded Win7 Pro laptop ready. Disjoined from the domain and sysprep'd with the Generalize option.

Rebooted and tried to upload the image to our WDS server which naturally failed as the NIC drivers have to be added every time - but at least I had the image created on the local drive.

But now the laptop is stuck in a boot loop 'Windows installation cannot proceed. etc' at the Setup is preparing your computer for the first use stage.

I can't believe how unreliable win7 sysprep is - this must be the 10th attempt I've had and now a different error. I surely can't be doing anything that wrong to cause the installation to be completely ruined? I created a very basic unattend.xml file using System Image Manager mainly just to set the local administrator account.

I guess at this point its reinstalling and configuring the damn thing all over again! Won't be using sysprep again at this rate.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've never had an issue Sysprepping a Windows 7 machine, other than the Domain issue you've mentioned. I haven't had to keep adding the NIC drivers either, those are injected into the Boot image and the Install image with no issues. I used this guide: HOW TO: inject drivers into Microsoft's free OS, Windows PE 2.0

To be slightly more useful, I highly recommend using some of the blog posts from here:

Blog.BrianLeeJackson.com

Thank Post
    I use a program called MySysprep and it works a treat with image roll out via WDS.. all it asks for is the computer name and then adds it to the domain etc, just like in windows 7

Thank Post
    Thing is, this was a dead simple straightforward image. Disjoined from the domain etc. I can understand why the image didn't upload to the WDS server but now the 'donor' laptop is completely ruined and needs a full re-install. I never had an issue with XP sysprep but I've never got it to work with Windows 7 and I cannot work out why!

I've even tried with OEM and VLK installs - they just fail in different ways.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    I had a problem with the antivirus - once I took that off the Win 7 image, I could sysprep it. Don't know if that helps

Thank Post
    Hi

Never had an issue here, done about 30 images in the past month.

General steps I do are :-

Never join the machine to the domain, install all applications needed for the image, if there are application which need to be installed when one the domain then these are done after the machine has been imaged by WDS

I use the windows sysprep, and select the OOBE (out of the box experience) and also tick the Generalize box. once machine re boots, boot into WDS and then the disk shows up as been able to be captured.

Hope this helps, as I say not had any machine fail when doing it like this.

Thank Post
    I had made sure no antivirus was installed this time! Only thing on it was Office and a local user account with some tweaks. Just before the sysprep I disjoined from the domain, dropped in the unattend.xml (very basic) and ran sysprep with generalize and specified the path to the unattend.xml. The actual sysprep process seemed to complete ok and WDS created the image file OK. Its only the post-sysprep reboot into the oobe type of startup that is failing.

All I want to do is create a basic Windows 7 image for deployment (well maybe 2, 1 for desktops and 1 for laptops) but at this rate I'll be clinging onto XP.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Thing is, this was a dead simple straightforward image. Disjoined from the domain etc. I can understand why the image didn't upload to the WDS server but now the 'donor' laptop is completely ruined and needs a full re-install. I never had an issue with XP sysprep but I've never got it to work with Windows 7 and I cannot work out why!

I've even tried with OEM and VLK installs - they just fail in different ways.
    I had the same issue a while back.

I just tended to not domain join them before sysprepping. did the trick.

Thank Post
    We had the same problem until i can across a random key press that sorted it. If you install off the Windows 7 cd and when it comes up asking for the computer name press CTRL+SHIFT+F3 the computer will reboot and log you in. Install all your programs, profiles, drivers etc now. Then when you run sysprep it works.
    Good luck

Thank Post
    I don't know if this ---> sysprep problems <-- will help at all?

More specifically the link to the Hotfix for Windows 7 SysPrepping at A Windows 7 or a Windows Server 2008 R2 image deployment process stops when you try to deploy the image on another computer .. it worked a treat for me when I was having a pig of a time to get SysPrep to work ..

Thank Post
    Sheridan - Try it again BUT DONT JOIN The PC to the domain AT ALL see how far you get???

Let us know if this works.

Thank Post
    I'm setting up another 'test' and also a virtual machine as well. This one was joined to the domain,then disjoined so I won't do that again!

I'll check out that hotfix as well - anything might help!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    I don't know if this ---> sysprep problems <-- will help at all?

More specifically the link to the Hotfix for Windows 7 SysPrepping at A Windows 7 or a Windows Server 2008 R2 image deployment process stops when you try to deploy the image on another computer .. it worked a treat for me when I was having a pig of a time to get SysPrep to work ..
    "This issue occurs if the original operating system contains a registry key that is larger than 8 kilobytes (KB). "
    Sometimes I really do wonder how problems occur over the tiniest of things.

Thank Post
    I have tried installing the hotfix on my test machine and then running sysprep. After rebooting the machine, I'm experiencing the same issue with my image. It's not asking for a name or joining the domain. My workstation was never joined to the domain prior to running the Win 7 sysprep.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhorowitz View Post
    I have tried installing the hotfix on my test machine and then running sysprep. After rebooting the machine, I'm experiencing the same issue with my image. It's not asking for a name or joining the domain. My workstation was never joined to the domain prior to running the Win 7 sysprep.
    What options did you select from the SysPrep menu? Also have you tried to drop down the image you have created to a new machine? If so what options are you getting once the image has been downloaded to the machine?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast