+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, "Can't Open ACPI ATK0100 kernel Mode Driver" in Technical; Ok, so I have kind of a weird one that I am just at a loss on how to fix. ...

Thank Post

"Can't Open ACPI ATK0100 kernel Mode Driver"

Ok, so I have kind of a weird one that I am just at a loss on how to fix. I am updating our Windows 7 Pro image for this coming school year and I thought that I had it all finished a few days ago as I was capturing my final image as a custom wim file. However, when I went to image a computer (or any other computer or VM for that matter), I now get an error that pops up for every user saying "Can't Open ACPI ATK0100 kernel Mode Driver." You can click OK and everything is fine after that until you reboot it again and you have to hit OK again. I created my image using VMWare (which is what I usually do) and it did not present this problem before I captured it. Also, I have noticed that after I image a computer (and get the error message again), I noticed that "ATK0100 ACPI Utility" had also been installed and listed under Add/Remove Programs. I double checked my images just to be sure and that program is definitely not there when I capture the wim file, but it somehow gets added in while imaging. It just doesn't make sense to me on how it gets there. So...anybody have any advice or ideas?

Thanks in advance

Scott

Thank Post
    Well "Can't Open ACPI ATK0100 kernel Mode Driver" generally means you're installing drivers that aren't for the right devices.

You sure the computer you're deploying to has same hardware etc?

And "ATK0100 ACPI Utility" is normally for ASUS hotkeys etc isn't it? you installing to/from laptops/motherboards?

Steve

Thank Post
    Steve, Thanks for the quick response. Actually, I am trying to make this image so that it can go any pretty much any machine and dynamically install the drivers. However, I have tried to image the same VM that I had just pulled the image from (so definitely the same hardware there) and I still get the error message. I kind of thought the same thing as you: that the system was somehow picking up some off hardware and installing the software, but the problem is still there even when I re-image the same machine I had just pulled the image from.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scottpowers82 View Post
    Steve, Thanks for the quick response. Actually, I am trying to make this image so that it can go any pretty much any machine and dynamically install the drivers. However, I have tried to image the same VM that I had just pulled the image from (so definitely the same hardware there) and I still get the error message. I kind of thought the same thing as you: that the system was somehow picking up some off hardware and installing the software, but the problem is still there even when I re-image the same machine I had just pulled the image from.
    Thing is those older drivers generally don't work with Win7 without being in compatibility mode for install. Depending on how you're installing it, if you're trying to install it as a Win7 app it might be complaining on that? Seen same error few times.

Steve

Thank Post
    Which "old drivers" are you referring to? Also, what do you mean when you say "install it as a Win7 App"?

EDIT: I'm actually running a test now where I have removed all of the drivers from Task Sequence and my Unattend file (I think). Hopefully, I'll see if the error comes up again or not on this test. Will report back here what I find...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scottpowers82 View Post
    Which "old drivers" are you referring to? Also, what do you mean when you say "install it as a Win7 App"?

EDIT: I'm actually running a test now where I have removed all of the drivers from Task Sequence and my Unattend file (I think). Hopefully, I'll see if the error comes up again or not on this test. Will report back here what I find...
    ACPI ATK0100 is Vista/XP drivers, unless it's been updated recently. Thus they're normally installed under Windows 7 Compatibility mode (to vista/XP).

Steve

Thank Post
    OK, I think I may have found the problem. I removed any entries that installed the drivers I had in both my Unattend file and my Task Sequence and this time, the message did not pop up when I imaged two machines. So, my next question would be: what is the best method for installing drivers when imaging a computer with Windows 7 using MDT 2010? Is it better to assign them in a Task Sequence? Or in the Unattend file? (I think I had it in both which could have also caused the problem) If in the Unattend file, is it better to do it during the Offline Servicing phase? Or the auditSystem phase?

Again, thanks for all the help This has always been one area I was never "sure" on how to setup, so sorry if anything I say sounds confusing at all

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread