+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, How can you add a static picture above the user user name in windows 7 in Technical; Hi We are in the process of of completeing our design and implementation of Windows 7. We have added our ...
    hol

Thank Post

Question How can you add a static picture above the user user name in windows 7

Hi

We are in the process of of completeing our design and implementation of Windows 7. We have added our logo on the start menu but can't transfer it on our welcome screen. I have added a different image on the background but need to add a photo in the login screen.

Can someone inform me if this is possible? If so how do you go about it?

If its not possbile how do you get rid of the blank frame above the user name and password text boxes?

We have currently added a picture on the start menu but it hasnt copied the exact picture onto the mainlogin page.

ANy Suggestions would be helpful

Thank Post
    There is a way to do it, though never spent any time looking into it fully.

Thank Post

hol

Thank Post
    cant access it due to EMBC blocking it can you copy and paste the relevant text. EMBC is apile of poo when you need to access forums etc in regards to fixing computers ironic isnt it....

JPS
    Thank Post
    Finally Microsoft has incorporated a new feature in the latest build (7057) of Windows 7 which supports the end user to change the logon screen background without using any hacks or third-party tools.

In previous version of Windows, user had to use third-parry tools like Tune-Up-Utilities to change the logon screen background easily. Windows 7 now supports customization of Windows 7 logon screen officially. Replacing the old logon screen is just another task like changing wallpaper (Desktop background). Thanks to withinwindows for finding out this excellent feature.

Follow the procedure below to change the Windows 7 logon screen.

1. Download the registry file from here. Extract the file and double-click on the file to enable this feature (Alternative method: right-click, select Merge).

2. Now, head over to the following folder:

C:\Windows\System32\oobe (“C” is your Windows Seven Installation drive)

3. Here, create a new folder named Info. Again, create a new folder inside the Info folder and rename it as backgrounds.

4. Copy your favorite image file to this folder and rename it as backgroundDefault. Note that the image must be in JPG format and the size should be less than 256 KB.

5. You are done. Reboot your system and see the change.

The following files (sorted by width-to-height ratio) are supported in C:\Windows\System32\oobe\Info\Backgrounds folder:

* backgroundDefault.jpg
    * background768×1280.jpg (0.6)
    * background900×1440.jpg (0.625)
    * background960×1280.jpg (0.75)
    * background1024×1280.jpg (0.8)
    * background1280×1024.jpg (1.25)
    * background1024×768.jpg (1.33-)
    * background1280×960.jpg (1.33-)
    * background1600×1200.jpg (1.33-)
    * background1440×900.jpg (1.6)
    * background1920×1200.jpg (1.6)
    * background1280×768.jpg (1.66-)
    * background1360×768.jpg (1.770833-)

6. Thanks to JPS from:

hol (13th May 2011)

JPS
    Thank Post
    Enable Logon In Windows 7.rarHere is the file needed. I havent checked it for viruses however.

8. Thanks to JPS from:

hol (13th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,971 Posts

10. Thanks to Arthur from:

hol (13th May 2011)

hol

Thank Post
    I have done that but the picture frame has no image in it and we need to add an image in the frame as it looks very unproffessional. I have added the background image of the school but the school logo needs to be in the frame. In addition the schools logo has been inserted to the start menu but hasnt copied it across to the main login area. Is there anyway of having that done?

Thank Post
    It's not there at the logon screen as the picture is associated with the user account, and until someone logs on there's no user account to associate this with.

Thank Post
    I've never managed to get a picture into the frame before a log on. I think this is 'by design'. After a user has logged in the picture can then be standardised but I think the original frame is embedded in a dll somewhere

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Why not modify the background so that the school logo appears where the frame is? Take a screen capture of the logon screen, find the position of the frame, amend background accordingly.

Though, I have to admit, I would like to change that frame (or remove it) the only methods I found wer registry hacks or 3rd party software, neither of which I was comfortable changing for aesthitics...

Thank Post
    OK if you really want to do this then see the following:

Warning: Changing system files or their settings can have an unwanted effect on the computer and can even make them unbootable. After this file is changed no user will be able to choose an individual picture.

Do the following at your own risk.

In order to add a logo to the frame you must first take ownership of C:\Windows\System32\authui.dll. You can do this by doing the following using explorer, navigate to the System32 folder, right click on authui.dll, click on properties, click on the security tab, click on advanced, click on the Owner tab, click on the Administrators group, then click apply. Click on the permissions tab, click on administrators, click on edit, tick the allow box for the full control permission, click OK on any remaining dialog boxes.
    Use restorator to open the authui.dll file, browse to bitmap, then to 12223. Then you want to export/save the file as a bmp file. (That is given the fact that you know how to work with restorator...)

Open both your desired image and the bmp file in the bmp editor. Resize your desired image to roughly 120x120. Copy the image to the picture frame and position as desired. Once everything is the way you want, save the file.
    In the resource editor again, you want to replace the 12223 bitmap with the custom image created. After this is done, save authui.dll and you should be able to see the effects immediately, if not reboot.
    Taken from post on seven forums (Solved How to change Logon screen Picture frame (before logon) - Windows 7 Forums)

hol

Thank Post
    Hi I have showed mynager in regards to the above post and he said that I am not allowed to download software to get the image in the photo frame. 5th day running and I still cant get the photo in the frame. I also cheated and added the picture on top the background image and the manager was annoyed at me as it looks very unproffessional and childish... I hope someone can help me... Tried doing the registery settings and still wouldnt work, GPEditior did not work, changing the photo to 24bit did not work... Anymore suggesstions
    Last edited by hol; 17th May 2011 at 11:57 AM.

Thank Post
    The only way to do this is to edit the authui.dll as stated in my previous post.

hol

Thank Post
    Can you show me the steps in a step by step guide and are you sure it works so I can present it to my manager

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast