+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 7 Thread, How can you add a static picture above the user user name in windows 7 in Technical; Originally Posted by hol Can you show me the steps in a step by step guide and are you sure ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hol View Post
    Can you show me the steps in a step by step guide and are you sure it works so I can present it to my manager
    Without sounding rude, If you don't know much about it, I'd suggest not editting files that can be classified as voiding licenses etc. "Unless MS changed anything" editting system files isn't exactly "allowed".

Just my two cents.

Steve

Thank Post
    Can you show me the steps in a step by step guide and are you sure it works so I can present it to my manager
    The instructions are there, I've not done this as it is against the EULA, I was merely advising you on the only way to currently achieve what you are trying to do.

You have a few choices either live with it in its current form (what I do here), use the background image workaround (which with care should be perfectly achieveable to create the desired look) or break the EULA and hack the dll.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    I cheated - I setup the background image so when its on the welcome screen the image appears in the box but you just have to make sure there is no picture provided with the user.

You can't tell at all looks like its in the frame

Thank Post
    HI

Create a folder in the netlogon and put in it this script and the icons you wish to user

echo copying files

Checking to see if screensaver is installed
    if not exist "%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\logo.jpg" goto copy1

goto end

:copy1
    copy /y "\\server\NETLOGON\griffin\user.bmp" "%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\"
    copy /y "\\server\NETLOGON\griffin\logo.jpg" "%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\"

:end

Now create a gpo in the ou for the widows machines and create a computer startup script to copy the files

Now set the in computer\administrative templates\control panel\user\apply default user logon picture to all users\

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The problem resides with the group policy setting 'Do not display last username' - this will not display the picture even if the 'Apply the default user logon picture to all users' setting is defined.

It is by design and as said the easiest way to work around it is the clever use of the default background.

hol

Thank Post
    I have spoken to my line manager an he has notified me that this can be done through the folder called OOBE under C:/Windows/System32/OOBE. Can you notify me how to do this?

Thank you

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Yes - Create a folder in OOBE one called info then one inside that called backgrounds and add the image into there called Backgrounddefault (make sure its a jpg)

Then reboot and it will work

EDIT: so the path is C:\Windows\System32\oobe\info\backgrounds\backgrou nddefault.jpg

Thank Post
    I have spoken to my line manager an he has notified me that this can be done through the folder called OOBE under C:/Windows/System32/OOBE. Can you notify me how to do this?

Thank you
    As mentioned above, that's either "background" you're editting, or editting files.

Steve

hol

Thank Post
    that only changes the background, I have already customised that, I need to know how to add a photo in the photo frame as its blank and a frame is still there.

Thank Post
    As previously stated you can only do this by editing the dll file, or editing your background file to place the logo in the correct place so that it appears to be in the frame.

Thank Post
    that only changes the background, I have already customised that, I need to know how to add a photo in the photo frame as its blank and a frame is still there.
    I'm not being funny, but try to read what people have told you please...

You can't "just add" a photo to that login box.

If you're doing it through the background, you design your background "so the login box has apicture behind it on the background"

Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ben View Post
    The problem resides with the group policy setting 'Do not display last username' - this will not display the picture even if the 'Apply the default user logon picture to all users' setting is defined.
    It is by design and as said the easiest way to work around it is the clever use of the default background.
    You can get a default user account picture to display by using 'Apply the default user logon picture to all users' , but only after users have logged in.

There is a way to do this by editing dll files, but this is not supported by Microsoft and I gave up as I could not get it to work, also every update that you apply will risk changing the settings back to how they should be.

You can change the default background to include your logo so that it appears to be in the clear box.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12