+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, User profiles and folder attributes in Technical; Got one that's doing my head in and I'm hoping somebody can give me nudge in the right direction. I'm ...
    Thank Post

User profiles and folder attributes

Got one that's doing my head in and I'm hoping somebody can give me nudge in the right direction.

I'm trying to rid my local profiles of the extra folders inside of them such as Saved Games, Downloads, Links, etc.. Basically I have a GPP setup that will either hide a folder, or delete it. It works, but... just not on a fresh profile (which is local FYI). On my test accounts I have to logout and login a second time for the folder attributes and deletions to take effect.

I unfortunately didn't have luxury of setting up a test environment to work out this little niggles before flipping the switch. I basically was told new machines will have Windows 7 on them and from that point (mid-late March) until now I've been tryin to work out the libraries, the desktop.ini issues, and this annoyance as well. So I'm trying to get this sorted as soon as possible.

We currently run 2003R2 Enterprise boxes with large majority of our clients being XP. I have a station setup with all of the 7/2008R2 group policy management bits installed and the sysvol has been populated with the policydefinitions folder. Looking to upgrade to 2008R2 this summer, but that all depends on funding.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank Post
    How about creating a batch file, then add it as a logon script.

rmdir /s /q "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Downloads"
    rmdir /s /q "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Links"
    rmdir /s /q "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Saved Games"
    rmdir /s /q "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Desktop"
    rmdir /s /q "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Contacts"

and so on...

3. Thanks to TheMan100 from:

stevehp (13th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Yeah I had tried a script after thinking that my GPP wasn't applying for some reason, but it looks I'll have to resort to a script for this one particular instance.

What ended up being the issue is explorer.exe . A simple restart of that process and I was in business.

I cobbled together a script that will kill explorer.exe, run the rmdir and attrib commands then restart the explorer.exe process. I had to place that in the registry(HKCU) using GPP as it was the only way to make sure explorer.exe had started before it would run the script. Now I just need to add my servers to the trusted sites zone as I'm getting that gd file security popup.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread