+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Delprof2 - Unofficial successor to Microsoft’s Delprof user profile deletion tool in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,808 Times in 2,073 Posts

Delprof2 - Unofficial successor to Microsoft’s Delprof user profile deletion tool

New tool from the author of SetACL for deleting cached user profiles on Windows PCs.

Homepage / Download

Delprof2 is the unofficial successor to Microsoft’s Delprof which does not work with operating systems newer than Windows XP. Here are the main facts:

• Delprof2 is free to use, commercially or otherwise
    • Delprof2 is syntax compatible to the original Delprof, but more powerful
    • Delprof2 bypasses file system security to delete profiles regardless of current permissions/owner (requires backup/restore privileges)
    • Delprof2 supports very long paths (longer than 260 characters)

What Does it Do?
    Delprof2 deletes inactive user profiles. If you want to reclaim disk space just run it without parameters and it will delete all profiles except your own and some special profiles needed by the operating system (like “Default”).

Delprof2 has additional filtering options: you might want to delete locally cached copies of roaming profiles only or delete only those profiles that have not been used in a specified number of days. Delprof2 does it all, both on the local system and remotely.

Special Features

Bypassing Security
    User profiles often have permissions set on them in such a way that not even administrators have access without prior ACL manipulation. Delprof2 circumvents this requirement by making use of backup and restore privileges to analyze and delete even the most tightly secured profiles.

Long Paths
    Some programs store files in paths with more than 260 characters. Most tools cannot deal with such paths that are longer than the value of MAX_PATH (260). Windows Explorer is a prominent example. Delprof2, on the other hand, makes use of special APIs to be able to delete files in the remotest areas of your hard drive.
    Last edited by Arthur; 5th May 2011 at 12:07 PM.

2. 11 Thanks to Arthur:

browolf (5th May 2011), cookie_monsta (20th February 2013), elsiegee40 (26th April 2012), flyinghaggis (27th April 2012), jumpinjamez (29th January 2013), kath (5th May 2011), mac_shinobi (29th January 2013), randle (27th April 2012), stevenlong1985 (14th February 2013), tmcd35 (14th February 2013)

Thank Post

Download URL

Thank you for writing about my tool! The download link is broken, though, because I have updated the tool in the meantime. Please do not link to a specific version but use the tool's URL instead.

4. 3 Thanks to helge:

Arthur (29th August 2011), bicky (14th February 2014), speckytecky (29th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi helge

Cracking program thanks however appear to be having a problem but currently there seems to be a problem registering on your website so thought I'd post here.

I'm executing DelProf2 as a startup script through GPO using the following script
    Code:
    @echo off
    pushd "%~dp0"
    "\\domainname\netlogon\DelProf2.exe" /i /u /ed:CVS* /ed:RM* /ed:Default >c:\delprof2.log 2>&1
    popd
    I am using the /d and /ntuserini switches but for testing purposes I've removed these.

When rebooting the computer, no profiles are deleted and the log reads:
    DelProf2 by Helge Klein (Helge Klein | Home of SetACL)
    Listing inactive profiles on 'TESTSTATION_7'.
    Excluding directories matching: CVS*, RM*, Default
    Enumerating directories '\\TESTSTATION_7\C$\Users\*.*' failed with: The network name cannot be found.
    The network name can be found and opens fine when manually browsing it from another computer and this one itself. Any ideas why this may be happening?

Thank Post
    Sorry about my forum. It had a problem sending out verification e-mails. You should be able to log in now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by randle View Post
    Hi helge

Cracking program thanks however appear to be having a problem but currently there seems to be a problem registering on your website so thought I'd post here.

I'm executing DelProf2 as a startup script through GPO using the following script
    Code:
    @echo off
    pushd "%~dp0"
    "\\domainname\netlogon\DelProf2.exe" /i /u /ed:CVS* /ed:RM* /ed:Default >c:\delprof2.log 2>&1
    popd
    I am using the /d and /ntuserini switches but for testing purposes I've removed these.

When rebooting the computer, no profiles are deleted and the log reads:
    The network name can be found and opens fine when manually browsing it from another computer and this one itself. Any ideas why this may be happening?
    Can I suggest doing it as a shutdown script instead.

Ben

8. Thanks to plexer from:

randle (27th April 2012)

Thank Post
    @helge: No worries, I'm in now ta
    @plexer: Seems to have done the trick. Not sure why I didn't try this previously as would be the obvious thing to try seeing as it isn't essential to run this script at startup . I was on a single track of thought...

Thank Post
    Sorry to ask the obvious but if you delete someones profile in vista/7 by hand (i.e. go into the folder and delete the files) they can never loginto that machine again (as it breaks). I'm assuming delprof 2 deletes it in a way that doesn't do this?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,808 Times in 2,073 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    I'm assuming delprof 2 deletes it in a way that doesn't do this?
    Yes.

Thank Post
    Hello im having an issue with Delprof2.

while executing delprof.bat containing the comand DELPROF2 /c:\\suite01-pc\c$ /i /u, i get the error "Privilege 'Restore files and directories' could not be enabled. DelProf2's powers are restricted. Better run DelProf2 with admin rights."

i run the .bat as administrator and also ive set delpro2.exe to run always as administrator. The account im logged into is the domain admin. Windows 7 pro environment banging my head against the wall

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by busby View Post
    while executing delprof.bat containing the comand DELPROF2 /c:\\suite01-pc /i /u, i get the error "Privilege 'Restore files and directories' could not be enabled.
    I believe it is because the syntax is wrong - you need to type DELPROF2 /c:suite01-pc /i /u - remove the \\ and it will work
    Last edited by hfnistelrooy; 31st January 2013 at 11:49 AM. Reason: edit

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hfnistelrooy View Post
    I believe it is because the syntax is wrong - you need to type DELPROF2 /c:suite01-pc /i /u - remove the \\ and it will work
    Even if its a networked machine ? with your code i still get the same error.

Thank Post
    This is what I use

Code:
    For /f %%a in (dellist_all.txt) Do DelProf2.exe /C:%%a -d:7 -q
    I have a txt file with my machine names listed, one per line. I have both files in the root of C: on a machine in the same domain as the machine I want to clean up and then run the bat file. Job done.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by helge View Post
    Thank you for writing about my tool!
    Delprof2 is an amazing program that I've been using for a couple of year now I think. A must have utility. Well done @helge

Meldrew

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    This is what I use

Code:
    For /f %%a in (dellist_all.txt) Do DelProf2.exe /C:%%a -d:7 -q
    I have a txt file with my machine names listed, one per line. I have both files in the root of C: on a machine in the same domain as the machine I want to clean up and then run the bat file. Job done.
    Danp so you have a dellist_all.txt on root of c containing machine names, as well as delprof2.exe i take it then you have a run.bat file with the code you have shown on ?

Thank Post
    Danp, with your code im getting

"Privilege 'Back up files and directories' could not be enabled. DelProf2's powers are restricted. Better run DelProf2 with admin rights."

i have gone to properties and click run this as admin i am also domain admin

odd.

- - - Updated - - -

Danp, with your code im getting

"Privilege 'Back up files and directories' could not be enabled. DelProf2's powers are restricted. Better run DelProf2 with admin rights."

i have gone to properties and click run this as admin i am also domain admin

odd.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast