+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Acrobat Reader and Windows 7 in Technical; I had problems with it when I redirected Appdata in XP, so moved to Foxit - I'm not sure if ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I had problems with it when I redirected Appdata in XP, so moved to Foxit - I'm not sure if adobe still do not support redirected appdata?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    So...if it does help it tells me what exactly? I don't want the children as local admins so there has to be another solution. I did try and run the program as administrator and that didnt work.
    Can Foxit be deployed from the server and how do I default all pdfs to open with it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can register with Foxit to download a .msi file to deploy through group policy.

Once installed you need to run the foxit reader exe with the -register switch (this will not launch the program). This will set it as the default reader for all PDF documents.

Thank Post
    Having run 8, 9, X as standard users (with SEP and without) and having no real problems, I suspect you're running 9.0 which did not support roaming profiles. The reason for this is you say you have escalated students to admin rights and it is still an issue but the Administrator account (which is local) works fine. v9.1 onwards fixed the roaming profile issue.

I know you mentioned you tried the latest version with poor results but I put that down to either a quirk with your image or another issue masking itself under the first.

If you want to do minor testing, just create a new local user with user permissions and log on, pretty sure it will work for you.

Thank Post
    Ok I'll try but I have uninstalled Version 9 and cleaned up the registry before installing the newer version so I'm not sure why it would work. Unless someone knows of something that is left behind when you uninstall which is causing the problem?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Are the students using the shortcut Adobe Reader adds to your Start Menu? If so, delete it and create a normal (non-advertised) shortcut in its place. It's a very long shot, but might be worth a try.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    If I put the students as local admins, wouldnt that mean that they could change all sorts of things on the machines? Not something I want!
    Yes, even with complex policies it is still a risk especially for virus/malware infection.

Ditch Cackrobat and go with the older free version of Foxit that comes with an MSI. Faster, better, smaller etc.

8. Thanks to SYNACK from:

mac_shinobi (5th May 2011)

Thank Post
    They are not using the shortcut unfortunately. Will try Foxit.

* oh for goodness sake, I can't find a site that isnt blocked by SWGfL!!
    Can anyone catch the msi for me and pm me for my email addy?
    Thanks
    Last edited by witch; 4th May 2011 at 12:30 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @witch - have PM'd but they do have a registration thing for foxit enterprise deployment MSI that you should fill in and that will give you access to download links and they will send you links to updates too.

Foxit Software - Foxit Reader for Windows
    Last edited by SYNACK; 4th May 2011 at 03:30 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You still after that MSI Witch? I will upload a zip to my SkyDrive and PM link shortly

Thank Post
    Got the msi ta - put it in the appropriate policy and will see what happens tomorrow. Would it be better to uninstall acrobat reader or doesnt it really matter?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Got the msi ta - put it in the appropriate policy and will see what happens tomorrow. Would it be better to uninstall acrobat reader or doesnt it really matter?
    Shouldn't matter but I'm not sure if the MSI will take over the PDF assosiation from Acrobat and users will still blindly click on acrobat and report that PDFs don't work so probably better to remove Acrobat for your own sanity.

Thank Post
    I have removed Acrobat, the FOXIT mis worked like a dream - and users can now open pdfs!!
    Thanks all - but what a faff! Why can't things just WORK? (yes, I know, because then we would be out of a job)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Yes, even with complex policies it is still a risk especially for virus/malware infection.

Ditch Cackrobat and go with the older free version of Foxit that comes with an MSI. Faster, better, smaller etc.
    +1 to Cackrobat - made me chuckle

Thank Post
    I had problems with Acrobat 8, 9 and X running on Windows 7, it came up with a Runtime error when anybody other than an administrator tried to run it. I've worked my own fixit so thought I'd share. It can probably be more fine tuned than I have.

Log in as a domain admin. Turn on view all hidden and system files. In the root of drive C: view the security properties of 'documents and settings'. Go into advanced and change the Owner from SYSTEM to Administrators. Now add NTFS permissions to the folder and give the Everyone group 'Change'. Go into this folder and do the same procedure to the 'Default User' folder. Go into THAT one (! I know!) and do the same again to the 'Application data' folder. Once this is done, hide the hidden/system files again.

Log off and log in as a user having problems. Ta da! It works At least it does for me. You can probably ties this down more instead of using the Everyone group i.e. by using domain users etc etc but for now this seems to do the trick.

If anyone can let me know if this also works for them I would be grateful.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast