+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Syncronizing Remote Users Laptops to their Network Shares in Technical; For all intents and purposes, our teachers are pretty much remote users. They take their laptops home, do all their ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Syncronizing Remote Users Laptops to their Network Shares

For all intents and purposes, our teachers are pretty much remote users. They take their laptops home, do all their work at home, and bring them in to utilise their productions in the classroom.

Since we moved to windows 7, we moved away from redirecting their My Documents to their folder on the staff network share, as whenever they were actually creating and saving documents, they were away from the network, and as such their My Documents wasnt available (and this redierection not available caused all sorts of issues with XP)

Now with 7, Ive partitioned their HD, they have a D: drive where all their work goes, and they are told they need to copy it to their Home Folder on the server to ensure it is backed up hourly etc.

Is there anything I can use that will sync their Documents folder to their home folder on the server once they connect to our school network (and only their documents, we let staff keep their Itunes, personal photos, etc etc on their D: Drive, so I dont want that Syncing back to the server)

THey all have VPN access to their school Shared folders, but I wouldnt want / trust them to do anything via that, I want something automated. I used Microsoft SyncToy with a couple of staff with XP as an experiment, and it served well, but it was reliant on the staff running it manually. Im looking for something similar to the synctoy from microsoft.. but automatic.. Cheers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,680 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why not simply use redirected folders and offline folders, that works fine with Windows 7. The only issues I have had with it is when it is teamed with libraries, DFS and rubbish networks. Works fine on basic quality 1GB trunked networks but have had it fail when it goes through rubbish old 100mbit switches.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

RabbieBurns (22nd April 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    all our teachers are laptops and are wireless. So they might have them open for 50 minutes while they teach, and then close them again for the rest of the day till they decide they need to use them agian.

They never connect via copper, but all the access points are connected via decent infrastructure.

All i would be wanting is the Documents folder, so anything they have in any of their other libraries im not interested in.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeap, so long as they are not saving 1GB movie files or anything to their docs folders and they are synced up initially over a wire if they have lots of Docs then it should be fine. By lots I mean 25GB+. Wireless for everything sounds like hell.

We have teachers with 80GB+ of docs synced up fin in this way over the wire, you just need to get the initial sync done and enable it over slow links if using wireless and it should work alright even syncing over VPN when avalible.

6. Thanks to SYNACK from:

RabbieBurns (22nd April 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    cool thanks, ill have a play with some policies next week.

Thank Post
    not sure if sync toy works in 7 ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    right ive set this up according to this page Configuring New Offline Files Features for Windows 7 Computers Step-by-Step Guide but it seems to still not be working

I have redirected the Documents folder to \\server\share\ and set it to use a different foldername for every user.

I have then created a \\server\share\rabbieburns\documents folder and put some documents in there.

I have also put some files and folders in the C:\users\rabbieburns\documents folder on my laptop

But this offline files thing doesnt seem to be working?

Is there something Im missing?? Cheers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have you set the file path up \\server\share\%username%\documents in the administratively assigned offline files bit under user policys?

Thank Post
    have you turned on offline file sharing on both pc and user policy?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @sted I just followed the howto guide from technet which seemed to only do redirection in one, and offline folders in the other?

@SYNACK yes, ive done that but still not showing.

Actually, when I click on Documents it doesn't seem to be redirecting to the server share at all, let alone syncing anything

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Does the redirected folder have the owner set to the logon account that you are using. If the folder and files are not 'owned' by the user then windows will refuse to redirect them. This could be a chunk of the issue. Also check using the RSoP snapin to see if it is being applied properly and check the folder itself by navigating to its parent, checking for the little green circle on the folder.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    hmm in RSOP it shows:

Thursday, 12 May 2011 1:01:51 PM

Folder Redirection failed due to the error listed below.
    Cannot complete this function.
    I am the owner of the network share folder in question.

As for the GP itself, i have the setting 'Basic : Redirect everyones folder to the same location' and then the next part is set to 'redirect to the users home folder'

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have you checked the event logs for clues, it is much better in 7 and may reveil the cause.

16. Thanks to SYNACK from:

RabbieBurns (12th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I did a search on here and found a thread that said it was because I had already logged onto my laptop and already had a local profile. So I had to delete and recreate my local profile and it seems to have worked. Redirection works but offline files is getting access denied, ill need to investigate that part.

But the fact it required a new profile makes it kind of impossible to roll this out to staff.

But at least my documents are on the way to becoming nice and synced.

Thank Post
    I have a simple batch file to x copy work from a 'backup' folder in my documents to an equilialent folder in the staff folders on the server. It can be set to run as a scheduled task but our staff run it at log on

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast