+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 7 Thread, Syncronizing Remote Users Laptops to their Network Shares in Technical; Originally Posted by RabbieBurns I did a search on here and found a thread that said it was because I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    I did a search on here and found a thread that said it was because I had already logged onto my laptop and already had a local profile. So I had to delete and recreate my local profile and it seems to have worked. Redirection works but offline files is getting access denied, ill need to investigate that part.

But the fact it required a new profile makes it kind of impossible to roll this out to staff.

But at least my documents are on the way to becoming nice and synced.
    Weird, I'm sure that I have not run into that requirement before as I have had local profiles that I implemented it on afterwards. It was for a weird setup though, had the desktop, favorites, music etc redirected into the documents folder which is then synced. The profile is then local for everything else so that it is roaming but only to a certain extent making it work nicely on the laptops even with the patchy network. At anyrate when I set it up initially it did manage to do a redirect after an initial logon but it may have een due to the fact that the local one was empty. Have you set the redirect policy to move any existing files from the old location as that may help it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    the access denied was due to fact i enabled encryption. I had to open sync center and click on decrypt. It now seems to be syncing great.

The redirect policy is set to move yes. Ive tested on my desktop too and it failed again. Although I think i figured it out. Previously I have had Documents redirected from c:\users\blah\documents to d:\users\documents\blah so Im wondering if that might be causing the issue because there is no c:\users\ folders

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    the access denied was due to fact i enabled encryption. I had to open sync center and click on decrypt. It now seems to be syncing great.

The redirect policy is set to move yes. Ive tested on my desktop too and it failed again. Although I think i figured it out. Previously I have had Documents redirected from c:\users\blah\documents to d:\users\documents\blah so Im wondering if that might be causing the issue because there is no c:\users\ folders
    if your documents folder as redirected and synced they will by default end up on c:\csc or something similar as thats the document cache location they dont exist in the location they normally would

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    if your documents folder as redirected and synced they will by default end up on c:\csc or something similar as thats the document cache location they dont exist in the location they normally would
    That bit is behind the scenes though, it still appears for all intensive purposes to be looking at the network, even if your offline.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    i dont have a CSC folder on my laptop, and indeed, one of my other questions was gonna be, where does this offlines files policy store things?

Am I right in thinkking, if im going to deploy this policy for teachers, that i should be thiking of enabling encryption?

wherre in fact does this remote policy move stuff to?

At the moment, we partiton staff laptops with c: and a D: partition, and redirecct their profile to D:, which means when they come to us with issues we can just reimage the C: and hve the back up and running in 10 minutes.

I'd like to keep this option, so that I could specify where the offline files were, so we are free to blitz the C: drive at will...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @RabbieBurns - Yes bitlocker on the drives is a very good idea if using offline files or even if your not. The policy does not move stuff just keeps a secondary copy of it locally for use when offline or if the link is slow to speed up file access. I don't think that you can just move the CSC folder from one to the other with a reinstall given that it is a database tied to user accounts. The beauty though is that because everything is actually on the server and just cached on the laptop you just need to make sure you do a full sync before killing it and it will just re-sync back down to the freshly installed laptop. It does mean a slightly longer time after rebuild but as it does it automagicly you can just tell the staff to logon normally on the network ad let it sync in the background over the course of the day.

The CSC folder is hidden and locked down under c:\windows\csc

7. Thanks to SYNACK from:

RabbieBurns (13th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What I do at the moment, since I have migrated everyone to Win7, is to partition their laptop HD, and redirect evertying that was in c:\users to d:\users, and told them that anything that was important and wanted backed up, they had top copy from their D: drive to their N: network share.

They are all good at this, and it makes reimaging their C: drive when they get a virus etc a doddle...

We allow staff to keep their itunes library etc in their Music Folder, and their photos in their Pictures folder, etc, and obviously they know they are responsible for all of that (copytight, backups, etc), but again, we redirect it to the D: just so we can blitz the C: without much thought.

So with this offline files, it seems i can sync a laptop folder to their network share. I agree that it doesnt really matter whwere its located once its synced, its the problem that everything in documents is now redirected to d:\username\documents that is causing the issue.

Nonetheless, all the teachers are due a new laptop at the end of the year anyway, so I guess as long as I have it sorted by then, it will do!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not sure about the issues that the existing redirect may cause but you can redirect the subfolders like music and pictures seporatly so you could concevibly keep those redirected to the d: keeping cruft off the server and still keping the experience reasonably seamless.

10. Thanks to SYNACK from:

RabbieBurns (27th July 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12