+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Delving into W7 in Technical; I am getting some little notebooks so thought I would delve into W7 (god I hate it already) I have ...

Thank Post

Delving into W7

I am getting some little notebooks so thought I would delve into W7 (god I hate it already)

I have gone through the gotchas and sorted the desktop but some stuff isn't working.

* I have solved the renaming My Document (dumb) thing by deleting all the desktop.ini files from the home folders then used the file screener to disallow the file.. seems to work ok although I am getting errors in the event log which I think is to do with W7 trying to create them.

* I am getting loads of 'the handle is invalid errors' and the event log doesn't help much as I keep getting The description cannot be found.

* My redirected start menu is blank, I have checked permissions, changed the folder path, used start and subfolders but its always showing blank.

* I am getting a control panel and library icon on the desktop which i cannot get rid of.. I presume its because I haven't set up my profile yet.

*Oh and the biggie which I think is the main problem, there is a delay for the logon server to appear so no GP software installs are working because the network isn't ready

*And the GP preferences printers fails also but just for the ones attached to the group permission filtering, room OU targetting works fine.

I have been working on this for a couple of days now and need to sort it as I cannot really live with XP for the next 5 years.

Thank Post
    sounds a bit like pc is ready before the network try setting the following 3 gpo settings (last one is more for information than to fix anything)

computer config\admin templates system\group policy\startup process processing wait time [120]
    computer config\admin templates system\logon\always wait for the network at computer startup and logon [enabled]
    computer config\admin templates system\system\verbose vs normal status messages [enabled]

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    To fix Group Policy Preferences (and it's not just the printer bit that's broken, trust me) you need to install a hotfix that updates the Gpprefcl.dll file. I used this one, but the latest is now this one if you are deploying Windows 7 SP1, or just want to be bang up to date. Ignore the descriptions of the problem in each KB article; each update includes all previous fixes.
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 20th April 2011 at 01:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the help guys, I hadn't set the 120 seconds timeout which fixed the deployed programs.

I installed the hotfix but I am only allowed to install one printer, its saying that its blocked.

The description for Event ID 4098 from source Group Policy Printers cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
    If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
    The following information was included with the event:
    user
    LRC1-colour
    Printers {876415D5-8257-491E-B8B8-A80200F26C68}
    0x800704ec This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator.
    The handle is invalid

Theres nothing blocking it as far as I can tell so I am confused. I have set the point and pritn setting to see if thats it but it still fails.

The start menu is still not showing anything, the biggest issue is that the event log is showing the errors as

The description for Event ID 501 from source Microsoft-Windows-Folder Redirection cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
    The following information was included with the event:
    Start Menu
    \\********\staff$\Start\Programs
    The handle is invalid

Baffled, its a fresh install

Thank Post
    PS. How do you get rid of the Sync Centre, I had accidentally set it for one of the redirected folders and now its constantly on even though I don't want it on.

Thank Post
    sync centre iirc is the same as xp just disable offline files

printers at a guess its point and print set it to

computer confi\admintemplates\printers\point and pint restrictions [enabled untick tick do not show warnings do not show warnings]

Thank Post
    Right okay, when I try and connect to the printer via UNC I get

'A policy is on place on your computer which prevents you from connecting to the print queue'

In the GP I had already set the warning to Do not show warnings on both drop downs... when I click apply and go out and come back in the setting has changed to Show warnings... it won't let me change the settings.

Thank Post
    OMG I have just realised that the piece of **** renames the Programs folder to Start Menu... so not only does it ruin My Documents it decides to rename the programs folder too.

Thank Post
    i actually thing the way win7 deals with docs/pics etc is better than xp as i can if needs be shove everyones my pics/music on a crap old server thats not backed up so im not using main storage space for peoples itunes/holiday snaps and i can just not back that stuff up as often

ive never had it rename anything in start menu

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information