+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 shortcuts (again) in Technical; Hi all, I think I've read through all the other posts on shortcuts, so I hope you'll forgive me if ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Windows 7 shortcuts (again)

Hi all,

I think I've read through all the other posts on shortcuts, so I hope you'll forgive me if this is easy but it's stumped me for two weeks.

I have a Windows 7 Pro workstation (servers are Windows 2003 and Windows 2003 R2) and I'm trying to assign different users different Program shortcuts via group policy. The problem being that the shortcuts are blank squares instead of icons and they won't run.

It all boils down to this:

1. When I log on to the workstation as an administrator And I go to share \\server\mu_Start_Menu (with full rights) and copy a shortcut to this area it shows as a white square. Properties look like this

2. If I go to the SAME LOCATION but this time via share \\server\d$\Start_Menu$\mu_Start_Menu and copy a shortcut there then it works. Properties look like this

Can anyone help? I'd be most grateful.

Simon

Thank Post
    Instead of making your own shortcuts try copying the ones from the default start menu (the ones installed with the application). You may find these work better.

It looks to me like some kind of security issue, maybe zone security? What happens when you double click the broken link, does it ask if you're sure you want to run it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi there,

Thanks for that. I looked up zone security, but this seems to be for the internet? Can you please point me in the direction of some more information on this? Just to be on the safe side I turned off all IE internet security setting, restarted, and I still get the problem.

I tried copying the shortcuts from the default start menu but they also don't work, in the same way that I described before.

As to what happens, well, nothing. No error message, nothing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread