+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Win 7 LAPTOP Caps lock issue in Technical; well the title wENT ok, buT THIS pOST WilL ProbaBLy Look randoM. I Am Using an HP paviLiON DV6 LaPTOP ...
    rad
    Thank Post

Thumbs down Win 7 LAPTOP Caps lock issue

well the title wENT ok, buT THIS pOST WilL ProbaBLy Look randoM.

I Am Using an HP paviLiON DV6 LaPTOP RunniNG wIN 7, BOUghT neW at ChriSTMas and HAS NOw dEVELopED A FaulT you CAN proBAblY see tHAT the cAPS LOCK COMES ON randOMLy, plEAse AdVISE BEforE it GOES In THE biN!

IT TURNS ON and OFf withoUT touching THE lAPTOP, iT HAs noRTon ON it, BUt aM ALSO TRYIng To INStall MsE asWELL To sCAN, BUt cURRENTly fAILING tO UPDatE.

Thank Post
    LOL, i would suggest you try buying a replacement keyboard. to test if its a keyboard fault you could remove the laptops keyboard and see if it works perfectly with a borrowed or spare USB Keboard. This saves you the cost of getting the correct keyboard for the laptop only to find out that its some kind of weird motherboard fault.

rad
    Thank Post
    I'll try a usb one, but dont have one to hand, will grab one tomorrow and test. Its got to be something simple, surely.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    I would of thought it was malware if you are having issues installing software such as MSE.

I would boot into safe mode with networking and try and install malware bytes, super anti spyware and an anti virus such as avira and get all of the defs up to date if it will allow you to and run each one individually ( not at the same time )

I know it is easy enough to programatically set the caps lock on or off etc so could be on a timer or something silly ?

Good idea to get rid of norton but also install something else for AV

Vipre / nod32 if paid and if free then either avira ( Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus ) or avast

super anti spyware runs in the background where as malware bytes only runs when you run it so I would only run one at a time and close them down when you want to run the other scan.

See if they come back clean, if you still have issues installing software in normal and safe mode then might be the windows installer that will need fixing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Boot a live cd to check if it is hardware or software, then replace the keyboard as it is almost certainly the keyboard

6. Thanks to SYNACK from:

mac_shinobi (27th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Boot a live cd to check if it is hardware or software, then replace the keyboard as it is almost certainly the keyboard
    If hardware then I presume it would do the same in dos / recovery console or even on a live cd / bart pe etc etc and also not sure you may see that the caps lock is de pressed and stuck down possibly unless any liquid ( juice / water / coke etc ) has been spilt then it may be an electric fault on the keyboard or motherboard possibly ?

If software then it should stop doing it when in another enviroment other then windows ( live cd / bart pe / recovery console etc )

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    If hardware then I presume it would do the same in dos / recovery console or even on a live cd / bart pe etc etc and also not sure you may see that the caps lock is de pressed and stuck down possibly unless any liquid ( juice / water / coke etc ) has been spilt then it may be an electric fault on the keyboard or motherboard possibly ?

If software then it should stop doing it when in another enviroment other then windows ( live cd / bart pe / recovery console etc )
    Perfectly expanded upon there mac_shinobi

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    A simple solution, but have you tried pressing and then releasing both Shift keys on your keyboard?

rad
    Thank Post
    Cheers for the suggestions, as the laptop hardly had any software/documents on it, i have backed up what was on there, and am now recovering back to factory settings, will let you know tomorrow.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread