+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 in schools in Technical; Hi there =] Right, we are in the process of putting in a suite of 30 machines. All of the ...
    Thank Post

Question Windows 7 in schools

Hi there =]

Right, we are in the process of putting in a suite of 30 machines. All of the computers in the school at the moment except 1 ICT suite are dual boot Mac with windows XP Pro 32-Bit.

I have been thinking about putting the new ICT suite in with Windows 7 BUT i am not sure whether we put 32-Bit or 64-Bit on them. I am not sure whether the 64-Bit version will have any conflicts with any of the servers which are running Server 2003.

I know there may be a few issues with the kids/pupils using Windows 7 but that isn't the issue.

If anyone has any views or comments please reply. I am more inclined to go 64-Bit as that appears to be the way things are going.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    The only major problem you are likely to run into is if you have older printers or other peripherals that do not have 64-bit drivers. If you're currently using Macs you're probably already familiar with the lack of driver support across different platforms - 64-bit is not much different to Mac support for a lot of manufacturers!

If you have any truly aged software that was designed for Windows 3.11 or DOS, that may not run on the workstations either as 16-bit applications cannot be run on 64-bit Windows, but those are luckily few and far between these days.

More on this here: 32 or 64 bit?
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 21st March 2011 at 10:24 AM.

3. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

f4rn4th (23rd March 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    There's no real need for your workstations to run 64Bit as it's unlikely you'll need to address more than 4GB of memory. As above many educational software packages will only run on 32Bit, so it'll end up being more hassle than it's worth.

Drivers are the least of your worries to be honest. Windows 7 SP1 has a fantastic driver database and will install most devices for you. It doesn't make any difference if your server is 64Bit and workstations 32Bit (or vice versa), and you can quite easily setup 32Bit and 64Bit drivers on your Print Server.

If you do decide to install Windows 7, I would recommend you have at least one 2008 DC in your domain. This'll make managing things easier.

5. Thanks to Michael from:

f4rn4th (23rd March 2011)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    64 bit is pointless really unless you have over 3gb of ram.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Might be worth pointing out the older aluminium iMacs dont have x64 drivers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is a point running it with less than 4GB RAM, 64bit is more stable thanks to stricter driver signing and dropping of the 16bit subsystem.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    There is a point running it with less than 4GB RAM, 64bit is more stable thanks to stricter driver signing and dropping of the 16bit subsystem.
    and its a good way of weeding out some really pants software

10. Thanks to sted from:

gwendes (24th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Although I do agree with this statement, in practice you can spend a fortune buying new software just to run on a new operating system. I don't really consider this good value for children's learning.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Although I do agree with this statement, in practice you can spend a fortune buying new software just to run on a new operating system. I don't really consider this good value for children's learning.
    We had practically no software that would not run under it so for us it was not a big deal. Also consider how much this old software could be costing you in increased support burden and costs to buy older gear and software digging yourself a bigger hole for the future. Things die, its part of life and given the generation cycle of pcs your keping your 400 year old decrepid software on life support can't be an economic way to proceed in the long term.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Until micrsoft make windows 64bit only you will just be beta testing it for them

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    There's no real need for your workstations to run 64Bit as it's unlikely you'll need to address more than 4GB of memory. As above many educational software packages will only run on 32Bit, so it'll end up being more hassle than it's worth.

Drivers are the least of your worries to be honest. Windows 7 SP1 has a fantastic driver database and will install most devices for you. It doesn't make any difference if your server is 64Bit and workstations 32Bit (or vice versa), and you can quite easily setup 32Bit and 64Bit drivers on your Print Server.

If you do decide to install Windows 7, I would recommend you have at least one 2008 DC in your domain. This'll make managing things easier.
    I have also noticed that Windows 7 appears to have a brilliant database of drivers, why the hell microsoft couldn't do this in any other of their operating systems is beyond me. Maybe they've actually started to figure out what they should be doing. IT's taken them long enough.

I think to be safe windows 32-Bit would probably be better. Personally i prefer 64-Bit, thats what i have on my dual boot mac at the mo.

Thank Post
    I have also noticed that Windows 7 appears to have a brilliant database of drivers, why the hell microsoft couldn't do this in any other of their operating systems is beyond me
    They did... It's just that since XP was the main OS for nearly 7 years after release, it didn't have support built in for anything newer than it's RTM date. 7 would end up the same if it was left as long.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    They did... It's just that since XP was the main OS for nearly 7 years after release, it didn't have support built in for anything newer than it's RTM date. 7 would end up the same if it was left as long.
    Yeah i guess so, it did pick up a few things in windows xp. It had a lot of digitally assigned printers and printer options. But none of them were ever much use, it was all old kit that has long been dead and buried.

Thank Post
    i would like to point out that windows 7 and 2003 probobly wont go together that well due to the changes in GP etc. I would consider upgrading your server aswell to keep a reasonable level of compatability

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeky View Post
    i would like to point out that windows 7 and 2003 probobly wont go together that well due to the changes in GP etc. I would consider upgrading your server aswell to keep a reasonable level of compatability
    they play together quite happily you just need to install rsat on a win7 pc to edit win7 only policies

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast