+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Auto join domain using sysprep - Windows 7 in Technical; i am trying to capture a reference windows 7 32bit pro image. I tried the mysysprep solution, however after capturing ...
    Thank Post
    i am trying to capture a reference windows 7 32bit pro image.

I tried the mysysprep solution, however after capturing the image using imagex and then rebooting the machine i was prompted for a machine name but then recieved the following message
    "Windows could not complete the installation. To install windows on this computer restart the installation".
    i found this thread and tried the suggestions there but no joy.
    Windows could not complete the installation.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I've never seen this and I've done lots of deployments recently. For people that see this message, could you confirm are you using an OEM, Retail or VLK license?

If you're using an existing OEM machine with Windows 7 OEM already installed, is it a Dell, HP or Toshiba for example?

What system model are you creating the image on?

What version of Windows 7 are you using? Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate?

Are you running x86 or x64 Windows 7?

Are you running Windows 7 with SP1?

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Along with Micheal! Initially had similar issues sure I downloaded a hotfix to apply before sysprep, and it was with a non-sp1 version, I'll check in morning.
    Last edited by Davit2005; 1st December 2011 at 06:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by projector1 View Post
    i am trying to capture a reference windows 7 32bit pro image.

I tried the mysysprep solution, however after capturing the image using imagex and then rebooting the machine i was prompted for a machine name but then recieved the following message
    "Windows could not complete the installation. To install windows on this computer restart the installation".
    i found this thread and tried the suggestions there but no joy.
    Windows could not complete the installation.
    resolved! i actually did an imagex capture of the reference machine as a backup just in case. As i did not sysprep the machine before i captured an image, this must have screwed it up. Many thanks Micheal for your mysysprep guide, worked a treat. I am baffled as to why the domain joining element of the standard sysprep tool does not work.
    Anyway mass cloning in progress at the moment.

Thank Post
    No problem at all. This is the most up-to-date user guide for using MySysprep and Windows 7.

It's especially important to use the FQDN in the answer file, otherwise (as I found out) the computer won't correctly join the domain.

Thank Post

Talking can you send me a copy of the file please

Can you send me a copy for the scitp to add it to the domain?

thanks

Thank Post
    You can copy/paste it from here. Just follow the notes and make the required changes for your domain/network.

Thank Post

Unhappy didnot work

I copy and your scipt by paste it into notpad and made the chnges to reflect my domain, username and password, but it did not work.

it come back with an error code, Line 57. did anyone else get it to work? maybe you can send me a copy of the file to an email?

anyway what to do.

HELP!!

Thank Post
    Please bear in mind the script is for Windows 7 x86 (32Bit) only. If you're running Windows 7 x64 (64Bit) you need to create a slightly modified script using WAIK.

I've used this script many times on many domains, so it does work

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davit2005 View Post
    We use a PowerShell script

We put a SetupComplete.cmd file in the C:\Windows\Setup\Scripts folder which then runs import.ps1 from the c:\windows\system32\sysprep\ folder the cmd also deletes the file as you don't want to leave any sensitive usernames or passwords on the C: drive jus in case.

The script of the import.ps1 You need to change the parts in red to suit your environment.

$User = "domain\user"
    $Pass = ConvertTo-SecureString "Password" -AsPlainText -Force
    $Credentials = New-Object -TypeName System.Management.Automation.PSCredential -ArgumentList $User,$Pass
    add-computer -domainname domainname.local -credential $Credentials

If you remove the ComputerName part the xml will wait for computer name as it sets up
    Hi, I am doing the same thing here. But what I really like to do is to add the computers to a specific OU but I get the following error, wonder if anyone can over look the script or suggest a solution? also posted on technet forums but no reply so far(I will post any updates from there over here)

The script is :
    $username = "domain\Admin"
    $password = ConvertTo-SecureString "password" -AsPlainText -Force
    $myCred = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential $username, $password
    Add-Computer -DomainName domain.com -Credential $mycred -OUPath “OU=OUtest-VMs,OU=OUComputers,DC=domain,DC=com”

Output 2 (intentionally made a computer account in AD to check FQDN) skip to Output 1 below:

PS C:\Windows\system32> C:\addcomputer.ps1
    Add-Computer : This command cannot be executed on target computer('PC-TEMP2') due to following error: The account already exists.
    At C:\addcomputer.ps1:5 char:13
    + Add-Computer <<<< -DomainName domain.com -Credential $mycred -OUPath “OU=OUtest-VMs,OU=OUComputers,DC=domain,DC=com”
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (PC-TEMP2:String) [Add-Computer], InvalidOperationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidOperationException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Com mands.AddComputerCommand

Output 1 (actual problem) with error : The system cannot find the file specified. what does this mean? note that I changed the PC name, replication is a Bi*** here!

PS C:\Windows\system32> C:\addcomputer.ps1
    Add-Computer : This command cannot be executed on target computer('PC-TEMP3') due to following error: The system cannot find the file specified.
    At C:\addcomputer.ps1:5 char:13
    + Add-Computer <<<< -DomainName domain.com -Credential $mycred -OUPath “OU=OUtest-VMs,OU=OUComputers,DC=domain,DC=com”
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (PC-TEMP3:String) [Add-Computer], InvalidOperationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidOperationException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Com mands.AddComputerCommand
    Last edited by emenHX; 20th February 2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: formating

Thank Post
    You could just pre-create the Computer Objects in the right OU in the first place. When a workstation is added to the domain with the same name, it's instantly in the right place.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You could just pre-create the Computer Objects in the right OU in the first place. When a workstation is added to the domain with the same name, it's instantly in the right place.
    Hey Michael,

That's what I'm trying to avoid. Without the -OUpath syntax it will join the machine to domain to an existing computer account but I do not want to pre-create accounts in AD.

Running powershell as a administrator, with unrestricted ExecutionPolicy, testing the addcomputer.ps1 manually with the -OUpath syntax and I get the system cannot find the file specified.

If there is no solution than I guess I have to do just that that brings up the question is -OUpath syntax broken? Has it worked for others out there?

Thank Post

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by emenHX View Post
    Hey Michael,

That's what I'm trying to avoid. Without the -OUpath syntax it will join the machine to domain to an existing computer account but I do not want to pre-create accounts in AD.

Running powershell as a administrator, with unrestricted ExecutionPolicy, testing the addcomputer.ps1 manually with the -OUpath syntax and I get the system cannot find the file specified.

If there is no solution than I guess I have to do just that that brings up the question is -OUpath syntax broken? Has it worked for others out there?
    Guess what! my DN path was missing an OU name(confirmed with DSquery...) :P the -OUpath syntax works now, I'm loving it

Thank Post
    Glad you sorted it

Thank Post
    So I was having good luck with vbs script posted on the 1st page of this thread. But now im getting this error joining the domain.

Error Joing Domain Error Code = 0

why would this be happening now?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast