+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Logged on with temporary profile in Technical; Hello. We've just got some new PC's in school with Windows 7 on them. When joining them to our 2003 ...
    Thank Post

Logged on with temporary profile

Hello.

We've just got some new PC's in school with Windows 7 on them. When joining them to our 2003 domain everything goes well. The user can see their folder share and other shares...but it comes up with 'Windows has logged you on with a temporary profile. All changes you make will be lost etc...'

It just doesn't seem to want to pick up the profile for the user. We have a generic profile folder for all our class logons called 'student' which holds all the desktop and start menu settings etc...

The XP machines log on no problem, they pick up the profile and everything is sweet. If someone logs on as 5B- it works. If someone logs on as 4F- it works.

Why are the Windows 7 machines not doing it properly?? Any ideas??

Thank Post
    Hi

Are you roaming around with users, i.e if User A has the standard profile set under the user account properties, does User A logon to both XP same in the morning then logoff. Come afternoon, User A logs on to a Windows 7 PC?

Sukh

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    Hi

Are you roaming around with users, i.e if User A has the standard profile set under the user account properties, does User A logon to both XP same in the morning then logoff. Come afternoon, User A logs on to a Windows 7 PC?

Sukh
    Yes users can generally log on anywhere in school. ICT suite in the morning they could log on to XP and then in their class log on to the new pc running Windows 7.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,630 Posts
    I have asked the same question in my thread about Windows 7 and Vanilla Server 2003
    I have got this answer: It is an occasional fault and needs a reghack - see here:
    Error message when you log on to a Windows Vista-based or Windows 7-based computer by using a temporary profile: "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded"

I haven't tried it yet!!

5. Thanks to witch from:

marsdenprimary (21st March 2011)

Thank Post
    if you are using romaing profiles with win7 and xp and they are placed for example \\server\profiles$\roam\group\%username% then you either need to give users enough access to create a folder in \\server\profiles$\roam\group\ or create a folder called %username%.v2 and give it appropriate permissions as win7 cant use xp profiles so will create its own

7. Thanks to sted from:

marsdenprimary (21st March 2011)

Thank Post
    Hi Sted,

Here are the steps i have taken so far:

1. Removed the slash from the profile path of the users in order for a new .v2 folder to be created when a user first logs on.
    2. Taken ownership of .v2 folder and copied the desktop, start menu etc... folders from the XP profile folder into the .v2 folder
    3. Given permissions back to the 'student group' where all the users reside

Still logs on with a temporary profile...any ideas??

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,630 Posts
    No - wish I did - mine does too.
    The ony thing I can think is to use RSAT and configure the Win 7 policies etc to see if that helps..

Thank Post
    its probably worth rather than taking ownership set a pc policy up so that domain admins get rights to roaming profiles as taking ownership does odd things to them
    (computer config\admin templates\system\user profiles\add administrator security group to roaming user profiles)

its probably worth creating a test user and giving them full control to your \\server\profiles$\roam\group folder and see if that works then start leaning back on the permissions till it works (you probably need to set it up so group has read\write create to this folder only (i cant remember the exact specifics)

as said i found taking ownership basically makes a profile unusable

Thank Post
    I wanted to revisit this thread as we've upgraded all our machines to Win 7 now without any problems other than the TEMPORARY PROFILE issue returning TODAY! Users have been logging on to the machines without a problem but now, whenever ANY user logs on, it logs them on with a temporary profile... This is only happening on 5 machines in our PPA room. A new switch has been added in there (managed) recently. Could it be that?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread