+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 on a vanilla Server 2003 in Technical; What type of profile are you trying to logon with - maybe it's not compatible (like .man and .man.v2)?...

Thank Post
    What type of profile are you trying to logon with - maybe it's not compatible (like .man and .man.v2)?

Thank Post
    New situation though - if I log on as a staff member or student, it has asked to install ONE of the printers.
    Is the Windows 7 install 32 or 64 bit? If it is 64 bit you will need to install 64 bit drivers for all of your printers on the server.

Thank Post
    Yeah I have the ICT suite of 17 on Win 7 Pro on a 2003 Domain with rest of school on XP, RSAT is needed. Couldn't afford an individual RSAT server so ran it from one of the suites client in the corner, good thing is that if you set your GPOs nice and tight, once its forced once, the settings stay with the machine and the RSAT client doesn't have to be on all the time.

Only problems, quite mundane but a pain:
    *Home directories are forced from the 2003 gpos, so you go to my documents when like saving in MS Word, its denies permission, you have to navigate to your user drive in My Computer.
    (Apparently there is a local reghack for it but not bothered as I will go back to XP till all machines are changed)
    *Problem with having to install printers from pupil user (It finds the Toshiba Copier in my ICT suite, but wont properly install the drivers when you first log in, from denied permissions, might be my tight level of access)
    *Problems with redirected wallpapers, give black screen, again another reghack available.
    *Reghack needed to remove last user logged in, also you cant get rid of the Welcome Log in screen (So I know),
    *Reghack for no icons on welcome login,
    *Domain\Administrator for domain admin log in, and jsut Administrator for local (no domain selection)

I was worried about all the new shiney look and feel and the pupils getting lost, but it can be narrowed down quite well.

These are what I have encountered. Probably simple fixies, but not so smooth on 2003

4. Thanks to Mullaney18 from:

witch (12th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mullaney18 View Post
    *Home directories are forced from the 2003 gpos, so you go to my documents when like saving in MS Word, its denies permission, you have to navigate to your user drive in My Computer.
    (Apparently there is a local reghack for it but not bothered as I will go back to XP till all machines are changed)
    id guess your home drives are set to \\server\users$\group\username if so you need to alter the permissions so that the user has read access to all folders down that tree (best set with advanced permissions to this folder only)
    *Reghack needed to remove last user logged in, also you cant get rid of the Welcome Log in screen (So I know),
    gpo computer config\windows settings\security settings\local policies\security settings\interactive logon: do not display last username = enabled
    *Domain\Administrator for domain admin log in, and jsut Administrator for local (no domain selection)
    its just the administrator user any other domain admin is fine but win7 assumes administrator is local unless you type in domain\administrator
    Last edited by sted; 12th March 2011 at 06:52 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanks sted, I did originally search for all of these, but never implemented the solutions because I knew I was going onto XP till a full change over.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    The black screen reghack I tried didnt work - any other ideas?
    Very interesting about the home drives - mine seem fine, oddly enough.
    What about the mapped drive issue? Not seeing them at all.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    The black screen reghack I tried didnt work - any other ideas?
    Very interesting about the home drives - mine seem fine, oddly enough.
    What about the mapped drive issue? Not seeing them at all.
    how are they mapped vbs/preferences or net use?

i have seen this before but i cant remember how i fixed it and it only seemed to affect the admin users for some reason

Thank Post
    for the issue of no gpo's applying, we had this issue.

open gpmc, find the relevant OU, select the link to the policy, right click and select 'enforced'.

Then do a gpupdate /force see if they apply.

nick

Thank Post
    Right, after kicking the machine, forcing and enforcing the policies it finally picked all of them up so that is good - however we now have two other problems - one is, if a staff member or student logs on it tells them that they are logged on with a temporary profile, but they arent - they can write to and open docs on the user drive etc.
    Secondly windows update wont run. Downloads OK then fails to install any of them Firewall is off.
    Any ideas?

Thank Post
    as to the 1st what type of profiles roaming mandatory or local? If its roaming id guess they dont have permission to create a username.v2 dierctory in \\server\profiles\roam\ (or whatever you use), mandatory you dont have a staff.man.v2, local not sure but suspect permissions

best checking the windows update log for that one but is it a fresh vanilla install or an oem junk filled one?

Thank Post
    Roaming - will check the permissions. It's a fresh vanilla install and the error doesnt give any info really. Will look into it a bit more tomorrow. Problem is I have 32 desktops to image from this one and also 32 netbooks - gotta build one and then image those as well. ASAP of course and all on 3 hours a day

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123