+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 on a vanilla Server 2003 in Technical; The machine came with Win7 pro on it but I (luckily) can't see any evidence of a service pack. What's ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,703 Posts
    The machine came with Win7 pro on it but I (luckily) can't see any evidence of a service pack.
    What's bothering me is recreating all the policies - how do I know I've got them all!!
    The look of it is OK - my other school has Server2008R2 so I am familiar with it.
    Any tips on how to make sure I have got all the policies? They are all at different levels and applying to different OUs - from things like printers which are very specific, to much more general ones that are applied to everything.
    I've had a look at it seems that none of them are being applied ATM

I am building this machine to image it so is it possible to add SP1 AFTER I have done the RSAT stuff and will policy management still work after this? I have 32 Win 7 Netbooks to build after these 33 desktops and they will certainly need a new OU and new policies.
    Last edited by witch; 10th March 2011 at 11:34 AM.

Thank Post
    recreating al policies from one school to another? just use gpmc and back up then restore
    if its recreating xp policies for win7 you often may not have to most policys will work on both its just a matter of testing and if it starts being odd wmi filter them so they dont apply to win7 boxes

Thank Post
    Well currently it seems that NONE of them are being applied which is odd.
    No, I don't want to recreate the policies from one school to the other, (the schools are very different) what I thought I needed to do was recreate them for the Win 7 machines using RSAT as they definitely arent picking up any policies from the server.

Thank Post
    What do you get from gpresult

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,720 Times in 2,303 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The older policies will or at least should apply even if they are for XP, their results can be a little iffy but they still do apply and make the changes to the OS.

I would be looking at any problematic network conditions, STP on switches, events in the event log of the client comlaining about network or communication faults etc. I woud do a gpupdate and gpresult as suggested though to try and id the culprit.

Thank Post
    recreating al policies from one school to another? just use gpmc and back up then restore
    Just? I programatically import and link a fully formed suite of GPOs from a 'master' system as part of the config for a new off-the-shelf system. Trust me, you might be OK but it is not necessarily that simple:

1) Old-style GPOs may have references to SIDs, computer names and the like that do not exist on the new system - you ought to make a migration table to handle those, but this doesn't work for some of the default CSE extensions e.g. folder redirection settings which live in some INI file as opposed to the GPO's registry.pol(s).

2) GPOs with GPPs are much more prone to the SIDs et al problem because the targeting is so very useful and you will often target OUs, groups etc. Haven't gotten around to checking 2008 R2 (SP1) yet because I'd made the workaround and don't care now, but certainly on 2008 policy imports a migration table did NOT modify preferences either.

I have some fiddly code patching GPO registry.pols, INIs and GPP *.xml files from my master to make them perfectly match the new system.

Thank Post
    I did gpupdate and then gpresult but no policies have been applied - nothing in the event logs. We are talking about just one new machine here, which is on the same switch as the server and there seem not to be any issues.
    I can browse the network to the server and see all the files. I can log on as a user - any user, so I can't see a problem with the network.
    The server is before my time - looks OK with some fairly basic policies - I must admit I did think that some of them would be applied to the Windows 7 machine but it seems not.
    So - do I have two issues here? 1) I need the RSAT to put on new policies and 2) I must have a problem somewhere as no policies are being picked up at all?

Thank Post
    its not a firewall issue is it might be worth turning it off to test.

also what does rsop.msc say and it might be worth doing a gpupdate /force after see if anything changes might be having issues picking up policies as network taking too long to respond at startup

Thank Post
    No firewall on machine, only on server. Will try rsop.msc when I get there.
    I did a gpupdate /force several times and nothing changed.
    What else can I try?

Thank Post
    After several more tries, now I have most of the policies applying, but not the curriculum software installation policy or the wallpaper. Also the scripts for font installation and printers aren't running and I still have no shared drives.
    Advice?

I did the rsop.msc thing but I am not sure what I am looking at

Thank Post
    Is the wallpaper just showing as black? That's a specific Windows 7 error which is fixed with a download from MS if so.

The "Desktop Wallpaper" Group Policy setting is not applied in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2

12. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

witch (11th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Wouldnt you be better off adding another DC thats 2008r2 ... transfering the roles to it and then upgrading your existing server to 2008r2 and then transfering it back?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Galway View Post
    Wouldnt you be better off adding another DC thats 2008r2 ... transfering the roles to it and then upgrading your existing server to 2008r2 and then transfering it back?
    If I had one, yes - but I only have the one and it is Server 2003.
    Deployed the hotfix - didnt work.

New situation though - if I log on as a staff member or student, it has asked to install ONE of the printers. Also, it states that I am logged on with a temporary profile and cannot save docs - but I can!
    Weird
    Last edited by witch; 11th March 2011 at 01:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    After several more tries, now I have most of the policies applying, but not the curriculum software installation policy or the wallpaper. Also the scripts for font installation and printers aren't running and I still have no shared drives.
    Advice?

I did the rsop.msc thing but I am not sure what I am looking at
    if you right click properties on computer (or users) it should show a list of policies applied (and with the tickboxes not applied and why) and their is an error info tab as well

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Do the scripts work if you run them manually?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast