+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows 7 Thread, 32 or 64 bit? in Technical; Originally Posted by Pottsey 32-bit works fine but when I try and print from 64-bit the work appears in the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    32-bit works fine but when I try and print from 64-bit the work appears in the print queue and vanishes as though it’s been sent to the printer. But nothing comes out. Both me and a support tech from county tried and failed to get it working and Epson just say its not supported.
    Thats rubbish, send them back as not fit for purpose and buy something from a more responcible vendor. We have 8 year old hps that work great under 64bit.

We ended up replacing a 3 year old Toshiba for this reason and will never go back.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 21st March 2011 at 02:45 PM.

Thank Post
    Would you call Epson cheap unbranded crap?
    I'd be happy with the first and last words of that three word definition as a way of describing them. Doubly so with the driver issues you mention - Open source projects and the like aside, I'm happy enough to say that if a vendor's current software/hardware won't work with 64 bit windows 7 then its cheap crap by definition.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    32-bit works fine but when I try and print from 64-bit the work appears in the print queue and vanishes as though it’s been sent to the printer. But nothing comes out. Both me and a support tech from county tried and failed to get it working and Epson just say its not supported.
    Can I just check your setup? You have a server running x64 Server 2008 and on this you've got the drivers for this printer? If you connect from machine running 32 bit Windows 7 it works fine but from a machine running 64 bit Windows 7 you get the vanishing job you described?

If this is the case, what happens if you take the server out of the picture (ie just create a TCP/IP port on the x64 Windows 7 machine so it treats it as a local printer) - do this with the Windows own driver (rather than downloading the Epson driver). If that doesn't work them I'm stuck but if it does work then maybe there's something wrong in the way the driver's configured on the server (but I must admit I'm not sure what to look at)

I just find it weird that a driver which is supplied with Windows won't actually print anything!

Thank Post
    I have an x64 Server 2008 with drivers for the printer. We tried all sorts of drivers even the generic Epson driver. The server cannot print although it appears to; just nothing comes out the printer. Both 32-bit XP and 32-bit Win 7 cannot print via the server.

Our old 32-bit Server 2003 works fine and local 32-bit machines can print directly to the printer or via the 32-bit server. We don’t have any 64-bit machines to test with.
    When I get a bit of time in a few weeks it will be worth trying your idea of a local 64-bit machine printing directly via TCP/IP.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123