+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, RSAT Finally Avalible for Windows 7 SP1 in Technical; In a chronicly stupid move someone at Microsoft put in a limit on the RSAT installer that will prompt you ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,745 Times in 2,319 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up RSAT Finally Avalible for Windows 7 SP1

In a chronicly stupid move someone at Microsoft put in a limit on the RSAT installer that will prompt you saying that the update does not apply then fail out under SP1.

You can still install it before SP1 but slipstreamed is always better, there is apparently a way to extract it and install it manually but this failed for me.

Apparently MS is working on it and will release an update eventually but really this is a mad oversight and reaffirms that Microsofts most dangerous enemy in the OS market is itself and its own poor decisions.

Edit: Thread name changed to reflect the release of the SP1 version a whole month later as posted by:
    Last edited by SYNACK; 8th April 2011 at 10:12 AM.

2. 4 Thanks to SYNACK:

AngryTechnician (4th March 2011), sparkeh (4th March 2011), tarquel (8th April 2011), TheCrust (9th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Sounds like a repeat of the RSAT for Vista, which wasn't even available until some time after Vista SP1 broke support for the Server 2003 admin tools (which was the only option for RTM).

Thank Post
    There is an issue I noticed with installing RSAT before updating to SP 1 for making a new image.

Sysprep fails out and the image is unusable if the IIS6 componant of RSAT is installed with SP1, no idea why, but after removing that bit (with a new image again) sysprep worked.

Not sure why it fails out, or if it is just something that happened to me (a few times :S ), but incase it happens to somewhere else, hope its useful.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    MS have said that a new SP1 RSAT should be out in April, but still this is just so silly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have the RSAT tools installed under SP1. I had them on my machine, removed them, updated and put them back on.

Thank Post
    found that out on Wednesday typically the only win7 pc on the 2003 admin domain and installed from a slipstream disk great so i cant manage the new policies thanks a lot ms

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've installed RSAT on 7 SP1. Here's how I did it (Shamelessly stolen from here)

To install RSAT on Windows 7 SP1

1) Download the Windows Update file containing RSAT from Microsoft
    2) Launch a command prompt with Administrator rights.
    3) Execute the following commands:
    md c:\rsat
    expand -f:* c:\tmp\ rsat-windows-7-x86fre_GRMRSAT_MSU c:\rsat
    cd c:\rsat
    pkgmgr /n:Windows6.1-KB958830-x86.xml /l:log.txt
    4) Wait until this line appears in c:\log.txt: DISM Provider Store: PID=1120 Releasing the local reference to DISMLogger. Stop logging….
    5) Reboot.
    6) Launch the “Turn Windows Feature on or off” applet in the Control Panel under Programs, and enable the Remote Server Administration Tools or Role Administration Tools you need.

Just like that! If you're using x64 Windows, the filenames will be different, adapt them to match!

9. 4 Thanks to Norphy:

AngryTechnician (4th March 2011), fawkers (7th March 2011), jamesfed (4th March 2011), mthomas08 (31st March 2011)

Thank Post
    The above method wouldnt work for me.

I loaded direct from CD with SP1 (didn't install service pack on Windows 7)

Check out this guide for getting RSAT onto Windows 7 SP1, especially useful if you cant uninstall the service pack because you didnt install in the first place. (this also works for x64, just need to change some of the filenames)

How-To: Install RSAT (Remote Server Administration Tools) on Win 7 Sp1 - MSFN Forum

Mike

11. Thanks to mbedford from:

mthomas08 (31st March 2011)

Thank Post
    Something i've been annoyed about since it came out hehe

And yes, the reported workaround that Norphy mentions doesnt work for everyone (for whatever reason).

EDIT: Must be blind, didnt even notice Mike's post above

However, I did find the following thread:

How-To: Install RSAT (Remote Server Administration Tools) on Win 7 Sp1 - MSFN Forum

but I've yet to properly look at it to see if its the same, or whether this method is any better.

Personally not too fussed now tbh, as April is tomorrow and I dare say they'll have it done pretty soon - given the amount of hate thats built up on every techie forum out there hehe, although its a bit annoying for some of our IT staff that have had new shiney Win7 SP1 SCCM deployed machines over the past few weeks

Glad i noticed it before wiping my own with the clean SP1 build

Not too sure if there'd be any aftermath from doing it too (probably not, but im not willing to risk it now - just in case).

Cheers
    Last edited by tarquel; 31st March 2011 at 03:43 PM.

Thank Post
    So glad I live on Edugeek, I had yet to even think about RSAT. Have begun putting Sp1 on the windows 7 laptops, have had to disable two optional updates due to it causing IE to freeze up.

As for RSAT, I actually needed to redo this but because we are planning a fresh PDC with 2008 R2 we might put it on hold.

Thank Post
    What's stupid is that if the tools are installed before you SP1 that machine, they will be updated and work fine. You just can't install them after the event.
    The full tools aren't out until April

RTM RSAT and SP1 Win7 (shot, over) - Ask the Directory Services Team - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Sounds like a repeat of the RSAT for Vista, which wasn't even available until some time after Vista SP1 broke support for the Server 2003 admin tools (which was the only option for RTM).
    oh god tell me about it. We are/were the guys Microsoft needed to court the most, as we're the ones who end up pushing/deploying their software. If we don't even have the tools to do our jobs properly it doesn't exactly encourage us to do so.

Edit: Just seen this
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/ar...ce-pack-1.aspx
    Many of you have asked about when the RSAT tools for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 would be available for download. As of this morning, the target download date that I was given is April 12th.

Hope that helps.

--Joseph

Thank Post
    Microsoft sure are enjoying the egg on their faces these past couple of years on various things... shame we arent

Maybe direction from Gates *IS* needed after all?

Thank Post

17. 4 Thanks to sukh:

DrCheese (8th April 2011), flyinghaggis (8th April 2011), sted (8th April 2011), SYNACK (8th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,745 Times in 2,319 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cue thread name change to 'RSAT Finally Avalible for Windows 7 SP1'

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    In a chronicly stupid move someone at Microsoft put in a limit on the RSAT installer that will prompt you saying that the update does not apply then fail out under SP1.

You can still install it before SP1 but slipstreamed is always better, there is apparently a way to extract it and install it manually but this failed for me.

Apparently MS is working on it and will release an update eventually but really this is a mad oversight and reaffirms that Microsofts most dangerous enemy in the OS market is itself and its own poor decisions.

Edit: Thread name changed to reflect the release of the SP1 version a whole month later as posted by:

That link did not work for me - It took me to the original release.

Download Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7 with SP1 from Official Microsoft Download Center worked just fine.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast