+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Auto enable WiFi after boot in Technical; Hi, One of our users has a Asus X5DJ Laptop running Windows 7 Professional x64. Each time the laptop boots ...

Thank Post

Auto enable WiFi after boot

Hi,

One of our users has a Asus X5DJ Laptop running Windows 7 Professional x64. Each time the laptop boots to windows, the user needs to press Fn + F2 to enable wireless, twice! Once the wireless lights is on, the laptop will happily connect and doesn't have any problems until it next boots to Windows. The wireless card has the latest drivers and I've check the BIOS but only see the option to disable the WiFi card.

I have a funny feeling that the wireless may already enabled at boot, as you need to press Fn+F2 twice, (to disable, then re-enable).

This isn't really a problem, more of an inconvenience.

Thanks

Thank Post

Solution?!!

SOLUTION! (at least for me on my win7 laptop)

I just had this problem when I reinstalled the OS from the OEM disc (not the factory install disc) I figured the OEM disc had a driver conflict. And I even tried updating the latest Wireless driver. But I incorrectly pointed the finger at the wireless lan driver.

The HOT KEY strip (the one with the buttons that turn white when you touch them just above the keyboard) on my laptop also controls the Wi-Fi Radio on/off button. This was the problem. You need the original driver for that strip, even if your volume on the strip is working.

Background. Think of your wireless lan as two seperate devices... the radio is compared to the cord of an ethernet connection. The wireless lan card is the ethernet card. When you think about it as one device it is easy to see why so many people assume the problem is with the wireless lan card. But the important part is that a laptop usually divides the two up to save power. Controlling the radio from a button on the keyboard (or a function key) (mine is FN +F2) is another reason to think of the two as seperate items.

Before reaching this conclusion I tried using "allow the computer to turn this device off to save power" I also had tried High performance power option modes and other wireless radio from the control pannel in both plug-in and battery modes. I tried the turn wireless netork on and off as well. There were plenty of reasons to think this was going to fix the problem.
    I aloos tried going with the above script but found that "WisWBSet.exe" was missing from windows 7. I also tried a Java script but could nto find the key code for the FN button, nor the combination of the FN button (hold) and the F2 key combo.

So update your HOTkey strip driver... see if that doesnt fix your problem.
    Last edited by chesspupil; 2nd December 2011 at 02:57 AM.

Thank Post
    This is the same problem that Acer had on some early wifi models using a "Hot Key" driver.
    Without loading the hot key driver application you will never get it working.

Acer had to create a new BIOS to fix the problem after which it could be wifi on or off in the BIOS as default.

Check your BIOS settings first, then make sure the hot key driver app is configured to load on start up contact the Laptop vendor and recommend the change the default setting.

On Lenovo's some of these preferences are saved if they are toggled on at the login dialog box and then shut down using the windows shut down option.
    The Numlock is the real pain as is affects password entry!

Thank Post
    Ohh geee this is an old thread. I can't remember the exact solution but I think we installed some software from Asus' website (similar Acer's Launch Manager) then created a shortcut to the the application'exe file (in prog files) with a switch to enable the wireless at logon.

I can't remember exactly but if someone's stuck, give me a shout and I'll see if we still have the laptop.

Thank you for your replied however

Fraser

Thank Post
    further background:

There are about six differnt sites that I know of that look for answers to this, one of them tried to make a VBS script (Not universal) at startup and others did the same thing with java. (pressing FN + F2) That soulution did work for those that only had the problem at startup.

Further the Bios on my SYX H36Y has very very little, and nothing about wireless or ethernet in it.

What I have found is rather than a workaround, with restoring the HOTKEY driver back to factory, the problem goes away and in fact if you still had the script, or java running you would be turning off the wireless that the driver is by default leaving on once installed.

Thank Post
    I'll call the laptop back in for "maintenance" on Monday and let you know how I fixed it

Thank Post
    I've had a similar problem.

It was a while back, but I believe we changed the registry to force the wireless to attempt a connection after so many seconds. I can't seem to find a link anywhere, but if you or anyone else has this problem again it is a possible solution to look at

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread