+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Hiding 'Open File Location' in Windows 7 in Technical; Does anyone know how to disable this in Windows 7? Users are able to access the C Drive working back ...
    Thank Post

Hiding 'Open File Location' in Windows 7

Does anyone know how to disable this in Windows 7?

Users are able to access the C Drive working back from this start menu option - it doesn't appear on all Start Menu Options but it is appearing under some programs.

Thanks in advance

Laura

Thank Post
    I've done this with a combination of the Tips/tricks Sticky in this Forum, and by hiding/preventing access to the C: drive via GP.

What I haven't been able to do is remove the Network icon from the Open File/Save File dialog in Office 2007......which for some obscure reason doesn't seem to use the Common Open File Dialog that can be tweaked with Group Policy. I've hidden it for most of my other apps, but Office just won't play nice.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Laura, but if you or anyone else has managed this, I'd be grateful for the 'How to....'.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm lazy. Why bother?

/ducks

Thank Post
    Hi

Do you to restrict access to the C:\ drive or stop users from using that option "Open File Location"?

Regards
    Sukh

Thank Post
    I'm trying to stop users following the path by using the option - users can't view C: normally through My Computer, but through 'Open File Location' they can.

Thank Post
    Hi

What if you use HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\Explorer!NoViewOnDrive

Prevents users from using My Computer to gain access to the content of selected drives.\n\n\nIf you enable this setting, users can browse the directory structure of the selected drives in My Computer or Windows Explorer, but they cannot open folders and access the contents. Also, they cannot use the Run dialog box or the Map Network Drive dialog box to view the directories on these drives.\n\n\nTo use this setting, select a drive or combination of drives from the drop-down list. To allow access to all drive directories, disable this setting or select the "Do not restrict drives" option from the drop-down list.\n\n\nNote: The icons representing the specified drives still appear in My Computer, but if users double-click the icons, a message appears explaining that a setting prevents the action.\n\n\n Also, this setting does not prevent users from using programs to access local and network drives. And, it does not prevent them from using the Disk Management snap-in to view and change drive characteristics.\n\n\nAlso, see the "Hide these specified drives in My Computer" setting.

Is avaliable with WindowsExplorer.admx

What is it that the users are trying to do to the c: drive?

Regards
    Sukh

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    Hi

What if you use HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\Explorer!NoViewOnDrive

Prevents users from using My Computer to gain access to the content of selected drives.\n\n\nIf you enable this setting, users can browse the directory structure of the selected drives in My Computer or Windows Explorer, but they cannot open folders and access the contents. Also, they cannot use the Run dialog box or the Map Network Drive dialog box to view the directories on these drives.\n\n\nTo use this setting, select a drive or combination of drives from the drop-down list. To allow access to all drive directories, disable this setting or select the "Do not restrict drives" option from the drop-down list.\n\n\nNote: The icons representing the specified drives still appear in My Computer, but if users double-click the icons, a message appears explaining that a setting prevents the action.\n\n\n Also, this setting does not prevent users from using programs to access local and network drives. And, it does not prevent them from using the Disk Management snap-in to view and change drive characteristics.\n\n\nAlso, see the "Hide these specified drives in My Computer" setting.

Is avaliable with WindowsExplorer.admx

What is it that the users are trying to do to the c: drive?

Regards
    Sukh
    The users aren't trying to do anything to the C Drive yet, I'm trying to prevent it happening. They can't see C in My Computer. They can only see this when using the Open File Location which is what I'm trying to get rid of.

Thank Post
    In Group Policy, User Configuration/Policies/Windows Components/Windows Explorer/Common Open File Dialog.

There's some (limited) options in there. I think that's what I used to lock-down these dialogs, can't remember rightly now, in combination with the other items under Windows Explorer. I also set the 'Items displayed in Places Bar' to only display the root of their Home Folder. That all seemed to get me where I wanted to with the Pupil Policy. Still have to look at the Office 2007 policies for another problem along the same lines.....access to areas you'd rather not have them access.

Thank Post
    Hi

Did you try any of the GPO settings above?

Can further restrict using HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\Explorer!NoViewOnDrive

Regards
    Sukh
    Last edited by sukh; 1st March 2011 at 10:34 AM.

Thank Post
    That does block it, I want to only block the local C: for the same users who can't see the C: Drive though, not for everyone - the NoViewOnDrive restricts access completely bar local administrator..I suppose I could implement that if it ever became a real problem, thanks anyway...

Thank Post
    Hi

You could always use GPO filtering to apply the policy to specific users. As long as it's working and you're happy with it.

Regards
    Sukh

12. Thanks to sukh from:

ljlbray (4th April 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread