+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Documents Redirection in Technical; Hi all, I'm having no luck setting up folder redirection particularly for Documents folder on Windows 7. Works perfectly in ...

Thank Post

Documents Redirection

Hi all,

I'm having no luck setting up folder redirection particularly for Documents folder on Windows 7.

Works perfectly in XP, but cannot get the folder redirection to take on 7. It appears GPO modelling isn't even showing the setting.

If i redirect Downloads/Pictures it seams to be find, its just seems to be Documents.

There are no event log errors, just Information about the Download/Desktop/Pictures redirections being applied.

Am i missing an option somewhere?

Thanks, Dan

Thank Post
    Have you configured the 'Folder Redirection' > 'Documents' User-Side GPO? If so how are you typing in the path and where are you applying it?

Thank Post
    Yes i have configured that, I've tried several variations:

\\server\Users\Students\%USERNAME%
    \\server\Users\Students\%USERNAME%\Documents
    Redirect to everyones home folder

Im currently loop back processing it (to seperate it from Windows XP loop back processed folder redir settings)

although i have tried it directly on a user OU.

It's like the setting is not even there.

Thank Post
    We saw something similar where someone had already logged on with a Windows 7 account. Deleting their profile (server and client) and getting them to logon fixed it straight away.

Thank Post
    Interesting, ill give it a go we only have local profiles rather than roaming profiles due to wireless load issues we get. The user has already have logged in. On that note, is there a recommended way of deleting profiles?

Thank Post
    I try and get my guys to R-click my computer, choose properties. Click Advanced Properties (on the left), a box appears then under user profiles click settings. Another box appears - select the profile you want to delete and click delete. This can take a few moments depending on the size.

There are quicker methods but I generally find this method the cleanest.

Andy

Thank Post
    I sometimes delete them from the registry though as Andy mentioned the Advanced Properties way is probably the cleanest though it can take a good while to load if you have alot of Local Profiles. If you get a 'Not Responding' just leave it be.

Thank Post
    Still not working, im not getting a success or fail in the event logs for the Documents folder redirect. The Documents folder is not even being created in the user home directory, any other ideas?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Ok, when you do a GPResult on a machine does it list the GPO as an object that has been applied?

Also, is the GPO setup to only apply the Documents redirection? If not then could you set one up that is solely for the redirection, just to make the troubleshooting simpler. Apply it to the users OU but get rid of the 'Authenticated Users' and apply it only to one test account. Check the Group Policy Modelling for that user on a particular machine and see what comes up.

Thank Post
    Ok, i've created a GPO with just Documents folder redirection and applied it to an OU containing just one user.

i run gpresult /r i see it that GPO is being applied. I run modelling i also see the GPO being applied. However the Documents redirection setting its self is not listed on modelling or rsop.

Its like its being ignored entirely. Is there any prerequisite condition that is needed for this to work?

On another point ive noticed (not sure whether its related) when the windows 7 computers boot it goes straight to Ctrl+Alt+Del there is not "Applying computer settings" prelogon and no "Applying personal settings" after logon, just a "Welcome". I'm pretty sure when i logged on to Windows 7 Machines at Uni, all this happened. Could there be an issue there somewhere related?

Thanks again

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danselvey View Post
    Yes i have configured that, I've tried several variations:

\\server\Users\Students\%USERNAME%
    \\server\Users\Students\%USERNAME%\Documents
    Redirect to everyones home folder

Im currently loop back processing it (to seperate it from Windows XP loop back processed folder redir settings)

although i have tried it directly on a user OU.

It's like the setting is not even there.
    Queries...

What happens when you check the target for Documents when logged onto Windows 7? Is the path as though there is no redirection set (c:\users\user\documents....).

You mention using loopback processing to target different folder redirection policies for XP than Windows 7. I have found that loopback processing can cause some unexpected results. I would disable that setting (it is a computer setting) temporarily for the Windows 7 PC (explicitly "disable" in a GPO above it), then try logging on with an account that you are sure the Win7 folder redirection policy applies. At least you can then eliminate this.

The other thought has already been tried (deleting the local profile from the machine).

Try re-creating the Win7 folder redir GPO entirely and start again.

Also, I have found that folder redirection can take two logons to "take affect".

Bruce.

Thank Post
    The documents target is still the in the local profile. So there is no redirection taking place.

Ive tried the documents setting purely as a user policy and as a loopback to no avail. Ive also deleted the profile and tried it both ways. Ive also just recreated the redir GPO to rule that out. The computer has been rebooted several times and logged the user in.

Im a bit concerned that theres something more wrong, the way there is no applying computer settings before log on. It seems i have to run GPupdate on any Windows 7 machine before any Computer GPOs kick in, no matter how many times i reboot it.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danselvey View Post
    The documents target is still the in the local profile. So there is no redirection taking place.

Ive tried the documents setting purely as a user policy and as a loopback to no avail. Ive also deleted the profile and tried it both ways. Ive also just recreated the redir GPO to rule that out. The computer has been rebooted several times and logged the user in.

Im a bit concerned that theres something more wrong, the way there is no applying computer settings before log on. It seems i have to run GPupdate on any Windows 7 machine before any Computer GPOs kick in, no matter how many times i reboot it.

Thanks
    OK, I just had a thought. Is it something to do with not having the Vista/2008 Group Policy templates/schemas properly installed?

The folder that you're having an issue with is Documents, which is a new "shell folder" introduced with Vista (and 2008 server). I appreciate you said that the Downloads Folder Redirection does work, so maybe I am on the wrong track with this. I have to confess that I've not looked very much at Folder Redirection options specifically for Vista/Windows, is there any option to "apply once" (and not again)?

As an aside, we use the same redirection Policy for our (few) Windows 7 PCs as we originally setup for our XP machines and it seem to work (although we do still need to do something about Videos and Downloads at some point).

Bruce.

Thank Post
    We have only recently installed 2008 R2 DCs into our network (now replacing all our 2003 servers) we didn't do anything specifically like installing templates/schemas at the time we just did the adprep/forestprep (which i think deals with schemas?). Its worth noting our domain functional level is 2003 but i didn't think this made much difference.

Thank Post
    Ive skimmed thru the thread [apologises but time is pressing on stuff etc] but as a thought, are your Win7 machines in a different OU?

If so, you might want to try (for a test) placing the GPO in that OU that does the redirection, have the setting "User Group Policy loopback processing mode" (under Comp Config > Admin Templates > System > Group Policy) to Replace to help ensure the user based settings work, and also worth checking what policies might be applying to this OU from parent OU's (remembering that even if you block inheritence, if you have GPO's that are enforced, they will ignore the block inheritence setting).

HTH.

Nath.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast