+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Win7 sync offline files in Technical; i've got a user's laptop in which is not syncing their files quite right. they login to a desktop and ...

Thank Post

Win7 sync offline files

i've got a user's laptop in which is not syncing their files quite right. they login to a desktop and all is fine, login to the laptop though and there are 2 folders which have supposedly been deleted, but are still there! they are stating as offline only (the laptop is online though via wifi)

i have tried going into the offline files view and deleting them there, it says it completes yet they still appear.

i know you can reinitialise the offline cache, but i'd like to know what's causing the problem rather than just fetching the sledgehammer.....

any help greatly appreciated!

Thank Post
    my recommendation is to not use "make available offline" on a network client. If you read many other threads, this service can cause a hell of a lot of problems. I experienced issues on my network for 4 months until we found out it was the offline file sync of windows 7. turn it off via GPO and dont use it!

Thank Post
    ?Ok but then how do you get around having my documents in an offline state?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Did you try forcing a file sync on the shared folder in question, otherwise it is time for the sledgehammer. Usually file sync does work quite well especially in anything above XP, every so offen it does get messed up though, this can be because of really large files, dodgey permissions on specific files and corrupted files on the serverside. Network connection issues and really long times between syncs can also cause issues along with the libraries on Windows 7. Sometimes the library indexing gets a bit messed up and can also cause folders to show up after deletion but I have only seen this once over 100 or so laptops set up this way.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by deano View Post
    my recommendation is to not use "make available offline" on a network client. If you read many other threads, this service can cause a hell of a lot of problems. I experienced issues on my network for 4 months until we found out it was the offline file sync of windows 7. turn it off via GPO and dont use it!
    probably not the answer, it does serve a useful purpose...

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Did you try forcing a file sync on the shared folder in question, otherwise it is time for the sledgehammer. Usually file sync does work quite well especially in anything above XP, every so offen it does get messed up though, this can be because of really large files, dodgey permissions on specific files and corrupted files on the serverside. Network connection issues and really long times between syncs can also cause issues along with the libraries on Windows 7. Sometimes the library indexing gets a bit messed up and can also cause folders to show up after deletion but I have only seen this once over 100 or so laptops set up this way.
    yeh i've tried forcing a sync but with no joy. guess i will have to drop the offline cache to make it go away. wasn't sure if there was some weird bug or anything like that. the user has since told me they think they were offline when they tried to delete the folders originally, i don't know if this holds any bearing on it.

Thank Post
    I know this seems really daft and stupid, but I had an issue a bit back, doesn't seem to happen as much now, where I deleted files and they still showed as being there, or created files and they didn't show. I refreshed the view (F5 or right-click refresh) and TA-DA they vanished / appeared.

It probably won't be something as simple as that, but hey, you never know, sometimes it is.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    When you say they are still there - can you actually get into them or is it just the folder?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    I know this seems really daft and stupid, but I had an issue a bit back, doesn't seem to happen as much now, where I deleted files and they still showed as being there, or created files and they didn't show. I refreshed the view (F5 or right-click refresh) and TA-DA they vanished / appeared.

It probably won't be something as simple as that, but hey, you never know, sometimes it is.
    unfortunately not. if i delete them and refresh, they're back!

Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    When you say they are still there - can you actually get into them or is it just the folder?
    yes i can get into them, but there is nothing in them (don't know if there was before or not though)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread