+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, 16bit apps on x64 win7 in Technical; We have rolled out x64 windows 7 accross campus, and today have just discovered there is some 16bit apps that ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

16bit apps on x64 win7

We have rolled out x64 windows 7 accross campus, and today have just discovered there is some 16bit apps that the IB courses need to run.

I was thinking about running a Terminal Services server 32bit with the software installed, but that requires extra licensing. Virtual XP mode on the desktops could be an option but that would involve us manually setting things up for each of the 40+ staff...

What are our options?

Thank Post
    Only had this with one of our Apps.......SIMS.......I know, hard to believe, isn't it.

Right-click on the exe file, 'Troubleshoot Compatibility' and set to run in 'XP SP2 Mode'.

Thanks to someone on here for that, can't remember who, but I'm sure you know who you are.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Only had this with one of our Apps.......SIMS.......I know, hard to believe, isn't it.

Right-click on the exe file, 'Troubleshoot Compatibility' and set to run in 'XP SP2 Mode'.

Thanks to someone on here for that, can't remember who, but I'm sure you know who you are.
    Er, that won't work still.

64bit OSes just won't do 16Bit processing. Its an architecture limitation. 64-bit versions of Windows do not support 16-bit components, 16-bit processes, or 16-bit applications

@RabbieBurns - Would Camyeo run it as a wrapped application if you captured it from a 32bit machine? Probably not but might be worth trying as a free alternative before paying out. But a Terminal Server is probably your best option.

Thank Post
    I don't think that any form of application virtualization would sort it. A 32 bit wrapper would need to create a virtual 16 bit subsystem, which as far as I'm aware there's nothing to do this. Unfortunately I think you're stuck with the TS option as being the best one. I'm not sure whether XP mode would work either (does Win7 x64 have XP mode X64 or XP mode 32 bit?), if XP mode is 32 bit virtualized system then that should do the job - or ANother virtualization jobby.

What kind if licensing scheme do you have? Do you have desktop packs with CAL suites? The CAL suites tend to include RDS CALs, and then you'd just need to license Windows Server.

Other thought - are there not updated version of the software which are 32 bit? We've had to take the line with some of our older software (ie 1998-2002 modified date) that there are updated versions and the departments will need to purchase it.
    Last edited by Willott; 4th February 2011 at 10:43 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,703 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    XP mode would work, you can setup one then just push the VHD over the top of the existing one from the install to make deployment easier.

Caymeno just tacks onto existing windows resources and sandboxes them as far as I can tell and AppV has the same issues.

You could use a x32 2008 server with remoteApps to make it fast easy and integrated.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Caymeno just tacks onto existing windows resources and sandboxes them as far as I can tell and App-V has the same issues.
    That's correct. Every application virtualization solution will have the same issue.

Can App-V be used to run 16-bit applications on Windows x64?
    No, App-V is not a compatibility solution. App-V does not provide any additional layers that applications can use when executing on different versions of Windows. If 64-bit Windows does not support 16-bit applications, then neither will App-V. (Source)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies.. We have the schools agreement +SA but I think terminal services licenses are extra?

This software is the latest version, from 2009. They only update the contents of the software, (its like a question bank thing) and not the actual software itself.

Thanks for clearing up about appV, had been considering that. Looks like TS it is. (might just start it offf with the defualt 2 user RDP and see if they can work with that)

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    This software is the latest version, from 2009. They only update the contents of the software, (its like a question bank thing) and not the actual software itself.
    16 bit software from 2009? Pretty shocking really. The usual story of people selling utter crud to education and probably charging the earth for it.

Sorry, no help to you I know but I just needed to rant on the subject a bit.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread