+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Win7 Profile Problems... About to go back to XP !!!! in Technical; We have 10 Windows 7 machines in our library. Everyday the librarian tells me that many students cant login. They ...

Thank Post

Win7 Profile Problems... About to go back to XP !!!!

We have 10 Windows 7 machines in our library.
    Everyday the librarian tells me that many students cant login. They get the "Profile Cannot be loaded" error.

I can delete their local profile and also the line from the ProfileGUID in the registry and they can then again log back in. But this is now happening maybe 10 times a day!

I cannot find the source of this problem bu think I may have found a clue !

When the student cannot login there is a extra line added and one changed in the registry in their profilelist registry key.
    These are "NextLogonCacheable=0" and also "State" is changed from 5 to 20001

Has anyone please seen anything like this before?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Yes! Are they using mandatory profiles? The quick fix was to move to Roaming (ok not a fix just a resolution) but would love to hear what you come up with.

Thank Post
    Thanks rh91uk,

Staff are using Roaming profiles perfectly with Win7. But we do not want students to end up having huge profiles that take them ages to log in and follow them around school. Like you say its a workaround not a solution...

Ive tried:
    Recreating a new man profile (several times)
    Tried using Super Mandatory profiles
    Deleting profiles with Ad (3 days is min so doesnt help when they login next day)

Anyone please? Ive spent so long looking to resolve this. I would even outsource it if i knew someone could sort it!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not a fix but a workaround, are you able to change the permissions on the registry keys in question then run a script on log off to wipe that key. It should make it work at any rate.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310516

just delete the whole profilelist key then recreate it empty.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 29th January 2011 at 05:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We had this, load up the machine with a test user that has the default profile, copy the profile to all of the stored cache's. Fixed it for us.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Not a fix but a workaround, are you able to change the permissions on the registry keys in question then run a script on log off to wipe that key. It should make it work at any rate.

How to add, modify, or delete registry subkeys and values by using a registration entries (.reg) file

just delete the whole profilelist key then recreate it empty.
    Hi Mate,
    The key would need to be deleted, then recreated and then the 3 profile keys also added. I have just tested this and they can get logged in when i do this. I assumed that they would get a TEMP profile if the C:\users\username profile wasnt also deleted.

I have set GP to add "everyone permission" to the "ProfileList" key, but im struggling to get a user to be able to log-off and run a script that deletes and imports to the registry? is it possible for the normal user?

Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    We had this, load up the machine with a test user that has the default profile, copy the profile to all of the stored cache's. Fixed it for us.
    Could you please elaborate on this mate? I dont quite understand what your saying. If this is a fix then that would be amazing !!

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Blog Entries
    basically the machine that you took the image from, has the default profile. Log into that machines default profile account and copy EVERYTHING into all of the cached profiles. We did this as we had the same problem and it worked for us.

Failing that, delete the profiles from the cache, remove the registry entries for the profiles, and then let them load in again

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burgemaster View Post
    Hi Mate,
    The key would need to be deleted, then recreated and then the 3 profile keys also added. I have just tested this and they can get logged in when i do this. I assumed that they would get a TEMP profile if the C:\users\username profile wasnt also deleted.

I have set GP to add "everyone permission" to the "ProfileList" key, but im struggling to get a user to be able to log-off and run a script that deletes and imports to the registry? is it possible for the normal user?
    I may have miscalculated, with the reg permissions in place the user should be able to do it but I may no have factored in UAC which may prompt for elevation and fail because of it. It may work with the perms and UAC off although I hessitate to recommend that because it drops a bunchof the bennificial features of 7.

The elevation could be got around by writing a service that triggered on log off or much easier by adding a scheduled task that ran on an event, point that event at the logoff event in event viewer and set it to run as the local administrator. This also gets around the need for different reg perms.

Scheduled tasks can be exported and imported by the command line so you should be able to push it with a machine startup script to save doing it manually.

Again it is a hack/workaround but it may help till its fixed propperly.

Thank Post
    We saw this problem too.. same resolution I posted to another thread ref. cleaning up profiles..

If you make your students members of the 'Domain Guests' global group - their profile won't be stored on the local machine any more..

You will have to cleanup the profiles already on the computers - as it does nothing to get rid of those already there..

10. Thanks to carvjo from:

SYNACK (2nd February 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carvjo View Post
    We saw this problem too.. same resolution I posted to another thread ref. cleaning up profiles..

If you make your students members of the 'Domain Guests' global group - their profile won't be stored on the local machine any more..

You will have to cleanup the profiles already on the computers - as it does nothing to get rid of those already there..
    Didn't know about that, I don't have this issue but that could be a useful trick in future.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread