+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Using GP for Win 7 with Server 2008 R2 that isn't a DC - what is the process? in Technical; Hello all, We have a 2008 R2 server that we want to use to manage GP to create our new ...

Thank Post

Using GP for Win 7 with Server 2008 R2 that isn't a DC - what is the process?

Hello all,

We have a 2008 R2 server that we want to use to manage GP to create our new Win 7 policies.

It can't be a DC so how do I go about getting the latest ADM templates, etc replicated?

I have downloaded the Win 7 AIK toolkit but am not sure where to start and want to get it right.

Does anyone have a step by step guide on how to do this?

Thanks very much in advance.

Gary

Thank Post
    Hi Gary,
    A few misconseptions here. GPO's live on domain controllers only, you can't use a stand alone server to store GPO's.
    Win7 & Vista GPO templates (ADMX files) are stored in a new location that can be created manually on a 2003 or 2003R2 DC but you can only manage GPO's for Win7 & Vista from a Server 2008 or R2 DC or client PC which is running Vista or Win7. you don't need to upgrade your DC to 2008 or 2008 R2 but if you can it's a good idea.
    Browse your network and find \\DomainContoller\sysvol\your.domain.name\policies
    you should see GUID foldernames, in the policies folder, is there a folder called PolicyDefinitions? if no then Copy the PolicyDefinitions folder from a Win7 client computer with all the files and folder within, to do this, locate the PolicyDefinitions folder on the Win7 machine, C:\Windows as an example. Now copy the folder to the \\DomainContoller\sysvol\your.domain.name\policies folder.
    If your DC's are not 2008 or better, download the remote server tools for Win7
    once installed you can manage the new ADMX templates from the Administration tools.
    The new tools look at the new folder you crated for all the policies.
    You can add Office ADMX files to the PolicyDefinitions folder. The rule is that you have to add 2 sets of templates to the PolicyDefinition folder. the root files are the policy templates and there is a language folder that must contain the localised language definitions.

Hope this helps. I would recomend upgrading your DC's to 2008 or 2008R2 if you can as there are so many new features and management tools.
    Remember to raise the domain functionally if you do...

Hope this helps

Paul

3. 2 Thanks to Synastra:

ronnoco (19th January 2011), speckytecky (18th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Hi Geoff,

GPO's are only stored on a DC. When you use the Remote AdminTools on Win7 (or server 2008), you are opening directly from the server, not the local machine. Changes are then replicated to all DC's.
    If you are updating your DC's to R2, this can only be a good idea but to benefit you need to raise the domain functionally level to 2008 R2, you can only do this if all the DC's are running the same OS Version.

Regard

Paul
    P.S Can't PM because I have too few post.....

5. Thanks to Synastra from:

ronnoco (19th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. Well explained which was exactly what I needed.

I did promote the 2008 R2 server to a DC but had problems using Microsoft Data Protection Manager 2010 to backup, aparantly it just doesn't work on a DC without some fixes which I didn't fancy.

I have yesterday switched to Symantec BE which looks a lot better already so I guess I could try promoting it to a DC again but seeing as we can't raise the functionaility level as our other 2 DC's are 2003, I think I might go for copying the ADMX files from my Win 7 PC to our 2003 R2 DC and then manage it from the 2008 R2 server using the Administration Tools.

I've not used the Win 7 AIK but will give it a go!

Thanks again for your posts, really helpfull.

Gary

Thank Post
    Hi Gary,

I haven't had any Issues with DPM 2010 but you do have to install the windows backup feature on the DC if you want to backup the systemstate data. Have you done this? I'm sure you have.
    I did get a funny problem that the replicas would alway fail to sync and fixed this by removing bare metal recovery from the protection job.

Cheers

Paul

Thank Post
    Hi Paul,

I had been having quite a few issues with DPM so am using a 60 day Symantec trial now.

I followed your instructions and everything is working fine, I’m managing from my Win7 PC. Took my ages just to get a wallpaper applied on Win7...needed a workaround. Not the best start!...roll on SP1!

Desktop Redirection and maybe mandatory profile tomorrow!

Cheers.

Gary

Thank Post
    Hi Gary,
    There's a hotfix for wallpaper as it's not applied correctly and you normally just see a black screen. Here's the link:
    The "Desktop Wallpaper" Group Policy setting is not applied in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2
    Worked fine for us after it was applied.
    Regards

Paul

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread