+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Win 7 64bit? in Technical; Are there any gotcha's or things to be aware of with using the 64bit version of windows (thinking of changing ...
    Thank Post

Win 7 64bit?

Are there any gotcha's or things to be aware of with using the 64bit version of windows (thinking of changing to it instead of the 32bit version)? Does it require more ram over and above the 32bit version in practice (key word being practice and not just what the web sites reccomend). Can I use my existing Office 2003 with the 64 bit version? Asking on here because I know someone will have already done it and saves me a while trawling google for the answer!
    Ultimately is it really worth it to use the 64bit version over the 32 bit version?

Thank Post
    You (and everyone else) could argue the pro's and con's of a 64bit system but lets be realistic, the future is 64bit (well, MS don't bother making 32bit server versions anymore) so getting on the band wagon if you can might not be a bad idea.

I've ran 64bit linux since I had a 64bit capable processor and all has been fine, no oddities as such to speak of but I know some gamers have had some issues on 64bit OS' but my wife runs a 64bit rig and she's not screamed too much recently so I guess it's OK.

What specification kit are you running?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I (Like Kim) Have been running x64 version of Windows since i had a x64bit capable processor and more than 3GB RAM. If you have more than 3GB RAM there is no point in running 32bit Versions of Operating Systems as it just won't be able to use the memory.

I never Run Windows XP x64 and I never even touched Windows Vista so I only really used x64 Windows 7 and i've never had any issues with compatibility as by the time Windows 7 came along people generally made software compatible with x64 Arcitecture.

I'm not a PC Gamer so can't really comment on the Gaming Aspect of things.

-- Not Really Answering your question, but just thought i'd mention it

James.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    I've ran x64 OS's from the days of XP 64-bit, Vista x64 and now Windows 7 x64.

If you've got more than 3Gb+ of RAM and your CPU can support 64-bit then I would recommend it.

I havent ran a 32-bit OS for a good few years now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp View Post
    Can I use my existing Office 2003 with the 64 bit version? Asking on here because I know someone will have already done it and saves me a while trawling google for the answer!
    Ultimately is it really worth it to use the 64bit version over the 32 bit version?
    Yes, and yes. I have yet to find something that won't run on Windows 7 x 64.
    I play lots of RPG games without problems but my rig is high end.
    What in particular do you want to run?

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Good web site I've used before: 64bit and x64 - Start64! - Start on 64

7. Thanks to IanT from:

TechSupp (27th December 2010)

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 866 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have a look at this URL:

Link: Download details: Windows 7 Application Compatibility List for IT Professionals

Brief Description

The Windows 7 Application Compatibility List for IT Professionals is a Microsoft Office Excel-based spreadsheet listing software applications and respective 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7 compatibility information. Compatibility information has been verified by either the software publisher or by the Windows 7 Logo Program testing requirements.
    Screenshot:

The release notes on the first worksheet of this file carries the definitions of compatible vs not compatible applications.

HTH.

9. Thanks to DaveP from:

TechSupp (27th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies, not realy going to put the OS under much pressuer with what I do at home, its just the usual, edit web site, make a video (small) browse the net etc. It was just I may have the chance to do a PC install from scratch and thought It may be a good idea to take the chance to try 64 while I did, so just a bit of pre emptive groundwork I suppose.

Thank Post
    With that in mind if you have kit that will do it I would.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would go 64bit. It does use a bit more ram as the DLLs etc take up a bit more room but it also drops out a bunch of the old nasty 16 bit emulation code making it more secure. It is also compiled expecting a certain minimum level of CPU which is higher than the 32bit versions and so b default uses more of the avalible features of the CPU (extentions, registers etc.). You can run 32bit code on it just fine and for most things drivers are not an issue as they are included in Windows. The exception to this is older cheaper accessories like old scanners and such which sometimes don't have drivers. The other main gripe is printers as driver support for them drops off really quickly from some vendors, check and see if yours are supported by the vendor or Windows directly and if so you should be good. The other thing that can be a hassel is tape drives, IBM especially seem to have no driver support past the week they release the tape drive so if you have any tape drives look at replacement.

In the end I agree with the others, if you can go 64bit then do because 32 bit is dead and just has not quite figured it out yet.

Thank Post

64 bit win 7

I'm not sure if this has changed but there were problems with flash player and IE 64 bit version ... It worth checking ... If I remember I had to download the 32 bit version for Flash to run ... I havent checked for a while though ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brpilot99 View Post
    I'm not sure if this has changed but there were problems with flash player and IE 64 bit version ... It worth checking ... If I remember I had to download the 32 bit version for Flash to run ... I havent checked for a while though ...
    To use flash you have to use the 32bit version of IE, Firefox, Chrome etc. 32 bit IE is included with 64bit Windows 7 and works fine, flash is a horrible nasty bit of junk on any platform but works fine under 64 bit Windows 7. The one issue that I have had with it is due to AMD/ATIs terrible drivers and Adobes general software fail that attempt to hardware accelerate some of the flash content leading to looping crashes of the DWM unless you disable acceleration in flash.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread