+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 Starter? in Technical; Ok, I'm dragging this original question I posted about netbooks here back up again as I now have someone who ...

Thank Post

Windows 7 Starter?

Ok, I'm dragging this original question I posted about netbooks here back up again as I now have someone who was me asking about netbooks for presents (and i felt it was enough off topic for a new thread). The thing is from what I have seen they either come with WinXP or Windows 7 Starter. Can someone explain what Winsdows 7 Starter is please? Am I right in thinking Windows7 Starter is a cut down version and doesn't need the same requirements as the fully loaded version?

I can see that WinXP would be ok on 1GB, but would really look for more if running Windows7. If these machines are going to be running in a home environment would a basic netbook with Win7Starter & 1GB be enough for most users needs(I would say surfing & basic office work ect). Or would they be better giong for XP for better performance?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 1,937 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    Am I right in thinking Windows 7 Starter is a cut down version and doesn't need the same requirements as the fully loaded version?
    Windows 7 Starter has the same system requirements as all the other editions, but with several additional limitations...

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/a...7-starter.aspx

It is important to note that Windows 7 Starter still includes only a subset of the features offered in the higher editions of Windows 7 such as Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional and above. Windows 7 Starter does not include:

• Aero Glass, meaning you can only use the "Windows Basic" or other opaque themes. It also means you do not get Taskbar Previews or Aero Peek.
    • Personalization features for changing desktop backgrounds, window colors, or sound schemes.
    • The ability to switch between users without having to log off.
    • Multi-monitor support.
    • DVD playback.
    • Windows Media Center for watching recorded TV or other media.
    • Remote Media Streaming for streaming your music, videos, and recorded TV from your home computer.
    • Domain support for business customers.
    • XP Mode for those that want the ability to run older Windows XP programs on Windows 7.
    I can see that Win XP would be ok on 1GB, but would really look for more if running Windows7. If these machines are going to be running in a home environment would a basic netbook with Win7Starter & 1GB be enough for most users needs (I would say surfing & basic office work ect).
    Windows 7 is fine with 1GB, but if it's possible to increase the RAM to 2GB I would do that. I would certainly choose 7 over XP though.

3. Thanks to Arthur from:

penfold (29th November 2010)

Thank Post
    I have used Windows7 and was impressed with it to be honest(I admit it's limited experience) but it was running on a machine with 3GB of RAM. I wouldn't be to happy to recommend Windows7 Starter and then have someone come back and blame me for their new netbook running slowly. I am a little suprised about the personalixation feature though, I think everyone I know changes their background to something personal.

Presumably then you want to be looking at upgrading the memory and then Windows7 so you dont have all the limitations. I can understand the streamlined OS for lower end machines but to restrict what you can do with it (personalise etc) is potentially going to frustrate users who are unaware of its limitations.

Has anyone got any feedback after using starter version?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    I wouldn't be to happy to recommend Windows 7 Starter and then have someone come back and blame me for their new netbook running slowly.
    The screenshots below are from a VM I have that runs Starter and has 1GB RAM. It's surprisingly quick and at idle uses around 300MB RAM.

With three websites open in Internet Explorer memory usage increases to approx. 370MB.

Resource Monitor shows there is still plenty of RAM available.

Default desktop wallpaper

Presumably then you want to be looking at upgrading the memory and then Windows 7 so you don't have all the limitations.
    The Anytime Upgrade feature within Windows 7 can be used to upgrade to higher editions should they need to in the future. Regarding the RAM, the reason I suggested 2GB RAM was to future-proof it a little and because it is pretty cheap these days (24 for DDR2 & 22 for DDR3). You can get away with 1GB though.

I am a little suprised about the personalization feature though, I think everyone I know changes their background to something personal.
    I agree. It's a stupid decision on Microsoft's part. There are ways around it, but the EULA specifically states you shouldn't do this.

8. SCOPE OF LICENSE. The software is licensed, not sold. This agreement only gives you some rights to use the features included in the software edition you licensed. The manufacturer or installer and Microsoft reserve all other rights. Unless applicable law gives you more rights despite this limitation, you may use the software only as expressly permitted in this agreement. In doing so, you must comply with any technical limitations in the software that only allow you to use it in certain ways. You may not

• work around any technical limitations in the software;
    • customize the desktop background;
    • reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the software, except and only to the extent that applicable law expressly permits, despite this limitation;
    • use components of the software to run applications not running on the software;
    • make more copies of the software than specified in this agreement or allowed by applicable law, despite this limitation;
    • publish the software for others to copy;
    • rent, lease or lend the software; or
    • use the software for commercial software hosting services.

Certain features of other Windows 7 product editions, including Windows Aero and the ability to change the desktop background, are not included in this software.

6. Thanks to Arthur from:

penfold (30th November 2010)

Thank Post
    HAve to say first time i've realised with started you can't change your desktop... Thats a really odd one to me :S But hey ho..... I think its a case of most people will live without it... if not they would find the 'ways around it'... When any businesses etc will be using pro anyway to be able to join a domain

Thank Post
    Arthur - I normally do the same regarding memory, especially since I don't build machines for people anymore since I kept getting vaulenteered by my parents to their friends. I try and stay away from telling them they can upgrade in the future as it will become my job to do it...and then anything else that goes wrong will be my fault...you know how it goes.

But I think I'll just explain the limitation of Windows7 and let them decide, thanks for posting those results of starter running. It'll probably be fine, but at least I pass on your information and they can make up their own minds, if it was mine, I think i would be tempted to put Ubuntu on it and see how that ran instead.

Thank Post
    By DVD playback do they mean you can not at all play DVD movies or just Windows doesn't come with a DVD player so you have to download one?

Thank Post
    That just means means Windows 7 (Starter & Home Basic) do not come with the necessary codecs required to playback DVDs (i.e. MPEG-2 and Dolby Digital/AC3). You are free to use other media players such as VLC and/or third-party codecs though.

Thank Post
    Actually then, Windows7 Starter isn't as bad as i thought. The only real limitation is the personalised settings? If you can download other software to do such things, then that just means you need to take longer to setup as you download all the relevant software?

And I am suprised MS has got away with the personalise feature to be honest, doesn't that make it discriminative against those with visual impairments? Or am I getting confused with what you are able to change?

It's really an OS for 1 user in a standalone environment who may want access to the web via wifi? That sound about right?

Thank Post
    that just means you need to take longer to setup as you download all the relevant software?
    Yes. You could automate the installation of the applications if you have a lot of netbooks to do though.

And I am suprised MS has got away with the personalise feature to be honest
    It could have been a lot worse. Microsoft were going to implement an arbitrary three application limit for the Starter Edition, but they decided against this after receiving tons of negative feedback.

doesn't that make it discriminative against those with visual impairments? Or am I getting confused with what you are able to change?
    You can still increase the DPI and text size among other things, so people with visual impairments will be fine.

It's really an OS for 1 user in a standalone environment who may wan't access to the web via WiFi? That sound about right?
    Correct. Thinking ahead, Windows 7 will also be better in the long run because it is more secure, will receive updates for longer and drivers will be easier to come by as manufacturers drop support for XP.

13. Thanks to Arthur from:

penfold (30th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Yes. You could automate the installation of the applications if you have a lot of netbooks to do though.
    I intend to have very little to do with any netbooks. Which is why I wanted a better explanation of what Windows7 Starter is capable of. I would just like to be able to give people options if they are going down this route. There seems to be a lot more people going down the netbook route and it's easy to see why as people look for more portability and better batteries. For me, I still prefer a desktop.

Perhaps it's not as bad as I first thought. And when your able to get netbooks for 200 perhaps they are worth considering instead of a laptop for the home.

Thank Post
    I've got Starter on my netbook, and while I thought I would just blitz it and put XP on or a full version of 7, I never have. Because the 3 program limit has never come into force, and things like not changing the background has never bothered me.
    Windows 7 (any edition) is not great on any netbooks with only 1GB though I've found

Thank Post
    i have starter too, and its work fine

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    I've got Starter on my netbook, and while I thought I would just blitz it and put XP on or a full version of 7, I never have. Because the 3 program limit has never come into force, and things like not changing the background has never bothered me.
    Windows 7 (any edition) is not great on any netbooks with only 1GB though I've found
    Define "not great", is that just be patient and it's fine, or tapping your foot just to open up any apps? If the requirements are the same for running Windows7 regardless of version, then I assume you would be recomending 2GB to improve it's lifespan? I imagine 1GB is ok to start with, but by the time people have finished installing all their poitnless/useless(rubbish) software it soons slows down?

Thank Post
    Yes that's pretty much it. We've got a number of Windows 7 machines (desktops, laptops, netbooks) with 1GB of RAM and while they are fine for light use, you can certainly notice the difference once a few Office apps are open.
    I'm not too concerned about the student ones as they usually use IE and Word only, but some Admin machines I have had freezing up regularly with heavy use of Outlook and SIMS (unsurprisingly). Up it to 2GB and things improve dramatically

19. Thanks to sidewinder from:

penfold (1st December 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread