+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, System Repair causing problems in Technical; Has anyone found Windows 7 automatically doing a System Repair a pain? I seem to regularly have machines, for whatever ...

Thank Post

System Repair causing problems

Has anyone found Windows 7 automatically doing a System Repair a pain? I seem to regularly have machines, for whatever reason, crash and reboot straight into System Repair which after it's finished as rolled the machine back to a pre-configure state - i.e. has it's old computer name, missing Win updates and AD doesn't recognise the machine so people can't login.

It's getting rather frustrating, apparently you can do this to disable it;
    Code:
    bcdedit /set {default} bootstatuspolicy ignoreallfailures
    Disable Windows Startup Repair as Default Option - Windows 7 Forums

Has anyone had to overcome this? I'm wary of just disabling it, not just the practicalities of getting round all the machines but incase I actually need system restore.

2. Thanks to Tricks from:

burgemaster (18th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting, have never had it happen, what kind of system crashes prompt this?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Interesting, have never had it happen, what kind of system crashes prompt this?
    I don't know at the moment - I've hunted event logs but not found anything. Unfortunately I've only every found it in hindsight so don't know what time it happens.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 758 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Are you sure its not someone selecting system restore from the 'incorrect shutdown' boot screen?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Are you sure its not someone selecting system restore from the 'incorrect shutdown' boot screen?
    I'm 99% sure it's doing the repair by default - just changing that default would help.

I am of course assuming that whatever crash happened it would still boot if you changed the boot menu to normal start up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricks View Post
    I'm 99% sure it's doing the repair by default - just changing that default would help.

I am of course assuming that whatever crash happened it would still boot if you changed the boot menu to normal start up.
    I think that that assumption may be wrong, I know that if the bootloader fails to load the default OS it will jump to the recovery environment, perhaps you have some dodgey hard drives or something. We occasionally get this when some of the little creatures drop laptops that are still running on the desks. "Classroom managment" is a two word punchline in so many schools.

Anyhow as you can imagine the hard drives don't take kindly to that kind of abuse day after day and eventually you get filesystem corruption -> unmountable boot volume -> fail -> Win RE

Prolem is by that stage Win RE's default checks can't fix all the nasty error on the drive so its a case of reformat and image to a slightly smaller drive (bad sectors). We could replace the hard drives but the user behaviour and staff behaviour are never going to change so they can live with the occasional one failing to boot when it can't take anymore. They are really old laptops in our case anyway (Core2 Duo 1.6ghz).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I think that that assumption may be wrong, I know that if the bootloader fails to load the default OS it will jump to the recovery environment, perhaps you have some dodgey hard drives or something. We occasionally get this when some of the little creatures drop laptops that are still running on the desks. "Classroom managment" is a two word punchline in so many schools.

Anyhow as you can imagine the hard drives don't take kindly to that kind of abuse day after day and eventually you get filesystem corruption -> unmountable boot volume -> fail -> Win RE

Prolem is by that stage Win RE's default checks can't fix all the nasty error on the drive so its a case of reformat and image to a slightly smaller drive (bad sectors). We could replace the hard drives but the user behaviour and staff behaviour are never going to change so they can live with the occasional one failing to boot when it can't take anymore. They are really old laptops in our case anyway (Core2 Duo 1.6ghz).
    I'm a bit stumped at the moment, going to need another occurrence to test with. You may well be right about my assumption, but given the mixture of hardware (and age) I've seen this happen with I find it hard to believe it's simply hardware failure.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts
    I had this happen on my new machines, and it turned out to be some dodgy power supplies causing the machines to go funny and then they went into system repair with the same results you mention.

Thank Post
    I've seen something as simple as an improper shut down causing this. When students hold down the power button to shut the machine down you can almost guess it's going to try and recover when it boots back up. Although it does seem a little hit and miss on whether or not it does do it.

Thank Post
    We had a powercut this weekend. All 9 of the Win 7 revos were effected.
    3 were at the login and had "trust relationship" problems, and the other 6 were frozen mid system repair!

This is doing this auotmatically and I plan to use that command to stop it!
    Thanks "Tricks"

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread