+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 Login times...... in Technical; Yes But only for guest accounts in active directory (due to ONLY TESTING FOR NOW).. and GPOs changed so no ...
    Thank Post
    Yes But only for guest accounts in active directory (due to ONLY TESTING FOR NOW).. and GPOs changed so no one can get on the Local profiles
    Make a few test accounts before changing everything then give it a try first... please let me know how you get on..I may have found a "half decent fix"

My old network manger had a batch file that will delete the local accounts when the users log off... and only have the one user there.. (appart from with "all users, Default user, administrator, administrator.%DOMAIN NAME%"

Give it a shot and let me know as its worked for me and make it much faster

2. Thanks to SW-ICT from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisbulley View Post
    Yes But only for guest accounts in active directory (due to ONLY TESTING FOR NOW).. and GPOs changed so no one can get on the Local profiles
    Make a few test accounts before changing everything then give it a try first... please let me know how you get on..I may have found a "half decent fix"

My old network manger had a batch file that will delete the local accounts when the users log off... and only have the one user there.. (appart from with "all users, Default user, administrator, administrator.%DOMAIN NAME%"

Give it a shot and let me know as its worked for me and make it much faster
    Interesting take on improving login times but its not feasible for us for the following reasons:

1. We use supermandatory profiles.
    2. User profiles is created on every user login which will increase login time.
    3. Profiles need to be deleted so extra load, may be during computer boot.

4. Thanks to apeo from:

Thank Post
    ohh fair play its works for us.. we haven't come across any problems just yet... FINGERS CROSSED..

Ive never used supermandatory profiles just mandatory profiles so im not sure if it will work... but then on the guest accounts everything is set up though group policy

Into i get the batch file i just go around to the computers during half term and delete the local profiles created.. (on the computers we are testing this on)

6. Thanks to SW-ICT from:

Thank Post
    When you say go around, you dont actually mean physically right?

8. Thanks to apeo from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @apeo I used too, last summer holiday i did a complete start over of our school domain. From the ground up, we used it as it was the default and it was an oversight on my part. There are lots of "optimizations" shall we say that need doing with the way the win7 client interacts in my opinion. I have verbose on because I like to see what its doing, enough of waiting to see if my msi has deployed correctly

10. 2 Thanks to RobBaxter:

SW-ICT (14th June 2011)

Thank Post
    yes :-( Only into i can get my old network manager so send me the batch file he created

He seems to be very busy at the moment

12. Thanks to SW-ICT from:

Thank Post
    @RobBaxter: Interesting so what kind of profile do you use now and how do you sync AppData and Desktop?

@lewisbulley: You might want to have a look here: Script to delete profile at log off?. If we had to do that it would take use days due to the number of computers and laptops.

14. Thanks to apeo from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @apeo: I personaly have profile v2 syncronisation at logon / logoff for the Appdata and Desktop. I don't restrict desktop usage (we are a Prep-School, they don't do what I don't want them to, I keep them out of what they need keeping out of ). Folder redirection for Pictures / Docs / Videos etc with a single K: map share drive for colab. It's been working quite well for over a year now.

@Lewisbully: you can attualy do this with Group Policy, In the Server 2008 R2 version, you can attualy on a computer by computer basis clean the C:\Users\ Directory out at boot. This is what I use, and find it extreamly usefull. Also fyi, some stuff that just wont deploy? No MSI? I like to make a GPO with the Registery and Copy Folder to Local feature. Maybe I will write a tut on that as it cures so many evil issues.

16. 2 Thanks to RobBaxter:

apeo (14th June 2011)

Thank Post
    @RobBaxter: Was there a specific application you found the problems you mentioned?:

"Simply because the real time interaction will either slow/lag out the client station OR worse, overload your servers HD R/W ability. If you use a NAS or other storage array, its not going to take to kindly to being hammered by your clients."

18. Thanks to apeo from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @apeo: its just a general rule. If you point the AppData folder to the server, you end up with all of the tempory stuff / configs and crap being

a) sent over your network
    b) Read and Written from your storage array.
    c) Multiply that by every app that uses AppData storage, web browsing etc

You have a right pain in the butt! Which is best avoided , SInce you have a HD in the box your using doing nothing really, might as well use it for something hey!

20. Thanks to RobBaxter from:

Thank Post
    Hmmm perhaps i need to revisit the cons behind redirecting AppData.

May just have the mandatory profile without AppData redirected so there's only a minimal AppData that all users use but cant change (we use this for our xp clients without problems). Not entirely sure what the implications to this would be however.

22. Thanks to apeo from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123