+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 Login times...... in Technical; Originally Posted by apeo Bet it does, but SSD is still to expensive for us 57 for a 40gb We're ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    Bet it does, but SSD is still to expensive for us
    57 for a 40gb

We're getting 91 of them this summer, looking forward to it

Personally i don't do many tweaks to the ntuser file, it's left as small as possible, and the only files in my mandatory.v2 folder is the .man files and .log files that it makes itself, no other folders etc as everything else is redirected. I redirect appdata, never seen a problem with it myself, but some people do report problems.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    57 for a 40gb

Personally i don't do many tweaks to the ntuser file, it's left as small as possible, and the only files in my mandatory.v2 folder is the .man files and .log files that it makes itself, no other folders etc as everything else is redirected. I redirect appdata, never seen a problem with it myself, but some people do report problems.
    Yep we upgraded 120 client machines with SSD drives over the last few months. You can get the new Intel 40gb 320 SSDs for around 60 quid which is cheap for that amount of performance increase. You can upgrade an entire suite for 2k.

Student logons take about 10-12 seconds now. Its ridiculously fast.

I blogged about it here

The SSD experiment - Blogs - EduGeek.net

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Yep we upgraded 120 client machines with SSD drives over the last few months. You can get the new Intel 40gb 320 SSDs for around 60 quid which is cheap for that amount of performance increase. You can upgrade an entire suite for 2k.

Student logons take about 10-12 seconds now. Its ridiculously fast.

I blogged about it here

The SSD experiment - Blogs - EduGeek.net
    Yep the 320s is what we're going to be getting

Intels failure rates of SSDs is also about a 5th of that of any other SSD manufacturer.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yep the 320s is what we're going to be getting

Intels failure rates of SSDs is also about a 5th of that of any other SSD manufacturer.
    Got about 135 in total in our school including web servers and hyper-v setups.

Not had a failure yet....

Thank Post
    57 for a 40gb

Nice.

Did you redirect AppData in ntuser or did you use gpo. Cant seem to get it to work using %USERNAME%, it just creates a folder called %USERNAME% LOL.

Thank Post
    As mentioned with the SSD drives, it is likely the read/write speeds of the drives. This is especially the case for "virgin" users. You need to take into account that files are being written which takes longer than reading.

Thank Post
    . . . .. . . no problem Ethan . . . . . . Lets keep kicking a dead camel on this . . . . . .

8. Thanks to pseu from:

Ethan (10th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pseu View Post
    . . . .. . . no problem Ethan . . . . . . Lets keep kicking a dead camel on this . . . . . .
    ?

10. Thanks to mrbios from:

Ethan (10th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Thought I would report back my findings, currently for quickest login time I've configured a mandatory profile with all the redirections, except appdata, in the ntuser.man and configured appdata redirection via gpo. Couple of thing to note however:

1. Redirected folders will not be created automatically so a policy is needed to create the folders for the users. I just used gpo prefs to create the folders, which seems to work as long as you tick "Run in user's login security context".
    2. When redirecting appdata (probably other folders too), if you delete the folder that its redirecting to then you may get an error stating folder redirection fail and it doesnt recreate the folder. If this starts happening its like to be related to offline files cache and database so to fix reset it. Heres more on it: How to re-initialize the offline files cache and database and On a Windows Vista-based or Windows 7-based client computer, you can still access offline files even though the file server is removed from the network

The only reason I'm redirecting appdata is I'm not entirely sure how to redirect it in ntuser properly.
    Last edited by apeo; 13th June 2011 at 02:11 PM.

12. Thanks to apeo from:

Ethan (14th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I had this issue. Windows 7 has some pretty nasty (in our business) sync stuff by default. Trying to sync my teachers 2GB - 3GB profiles, can take a age, even with quite tip top internal transport infer-structure.

What I now do, is only sync the App Data and Desktops. The rest I use folder redirection to create direct mounts over to our file servers. This way, logon takes sub 20-30 seconds in all cases. I strongly suggest tho, NEVER adding folder redirection on the App Data. Simply because the real time interaction will either slow/lag out the client station OR worse, overload your servers HD R/W ability. If you use a NAS or other storage array, its not going to take to kindly to being hammered by your clients.

Also this cures a few wierd issues i get with profile / sync version issues. But thats a storey for another day!

Thank Post
    @Ethan: Hopefully it makes sense

@RobBaxter: Do you use roaming profiles? and by sync can i assume you use offline files?

Thank Post
    Turn on the verbose information in group policy and keep an eye out for delays with folder redirection. The first redirection takes a few seconds on each folder while the desktop.ini is created. If you delete or block the desktop.ini this delay will happen on every login rather than just the initial one while the redirected folders are created.

Thank Post
    in active directory try taking out the profile path on a test user..

No the best way to sort it but worked with us

Good luck and let me know how you get on

Lewis

17. Thanks to SW-ICT from:

Thank Post
    Anyone else found issues with redirecting AppData as RobBaxter has? Im not sure how RobBaxter Sync thing would work with supermandatory profiles.

Dont think desktop.ini is causing our delay as .ini files arent blocked, and do you get desktop.ini in AppData?

@lewisbulley: If i read it right, you just have local profile?
    Last edited by apeo; 14th June 2011 at 10:45 AM.

19. Thanks to apeo from:

Thank Post
    Yes But only for guest accounts in active directory (due to ONLY TESTING FOR NOW).. and GPOs changed so no one can get on the Local profiles
    Make a few test accounts before changing everything then give it a try first... please let me know how you get on..I may have found a "half decent fix"

My old network manger had a batch file that will delete the local accounts when the users log off... and only have the one user there.. (appart from with "all users, Default user, administrator, administrator.%DOMAIN NAME%"

Give it a shot and let me know as its worked for me and make it much faster

21. Thanks to SW-ICT from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast