+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Group Policy Service Failed The Logon: Access Is Denied in Technical; We've had similar errors to this since we went to W7, most notably the 'user profile cannot be loaded' one, ...

Thank Post

Group Policy Service Failed The Logon: Access Is Denied

We've had similar errors to this since we went to W7, most notably the 'user profile cannot be loaded' one, which is now sorted.

But recently this one (Access is denied) seems to be cropping up more and more. Currently about 4 teachers a day are having it and while it is fixable, I have no idea why its happening, and its taking time to sort it out.

The easiest way I've found to solve it, is to literally create the user a new home folder, copy their documents back to it, assign them permissions and then log on and recreate the profile.
    The odd thing is that recreating the profile isnt enough, I have to redo the whole home folder (or redo permissions)

Obviously staff have full control to their own folder, but the error still occurs, seemingly randomly.
    The error in the event viewer on a computer that they have tried to log on to is:

Code:
    Windows cannot load classes registry file.
     DETAIL - The system cannot find the file specified.
    Important to note this is not per computer. Perhaps something on a single computer originally corrupts it, I dont know, but the error happens on any computer they try to log on to.

Our Home folder structure (which I'm not sure is the optimal way to do it) is like:

username
    profile.v2
    My Documents
    Pictures
    Favourites

etc etc.

Users have full control of the root username folder, with permissions inheritable and propagating down.

Any ideas? I wouldnt say we're tearing our hair out, but its annoying to say the least

Thank Post
    We've come across the errors in scenario 4 on the following article. It might not be related to your issue but it could be relevent perhaps to authentication issues:

The Net Logon service on Windows Server 2008 and on Windows Server 2008 R2 domain controllers does not allow the use of older cryptography algorithms that are compatible with Windows NT 4.0 by default

Possibly in your case, where your DC's are either 2003 and/or 2008, but your workstations are Win7.

See the work around at the bottom

Cheers
    Nath

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread