+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Two Issues with Windows 7 logins in Technical; First, and I have seen and tried multiple "solutions" for this one with no change; is the very slow logon ...
    Thank Post

Two Issues with Windows 7 logins

First, and I have seen and tried multiple "solutions" for this one with no change; is the very slow logon issue for windows 7 clients logging in with local profiles through active directory. I have from 1 min - 3 min of the spinning welcome screen before kids get a desktop. I have tried the registry fix for DelayedDesktopSwitchTimeout, I have a jpg as the background, I have disabled the DesktopManager whatever service all with no effect. The only solution that looks plausible is to stop remapping my documents, but should I really have to do that, surely there is a better solution?

Second, I have trouble finding others with this issue but about every third or fourth student complains that after typing in their name and password, they get put back at the Press CTRL ALT DEL screen, no error or password issue displayed just flipped back to the screen for no apparant reason, they try again and go in but it is annoying for them. Anyone else seen this... fixed it?

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    I found that for me , even removing my Redirected My Documents Folder didn't improve login times very much, it may have went down to 40-50 seconds from over a minute but still not tolerable.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,035 Times in 1,480 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is it wired or wireless? Also how big are your profiles? Anything bigger than 1.22mb and you are looking at over 30-40 seconds per login session...i have managed to cut mine down to 1.29 but cant shave any further, i am looking but struggling. Also if you redirect stuff, you will be adding roughly 2 seconds per redirect...

Thank Post
    Well I guess that could be the issue, mine are 260MB, that is the size of the Default Profile as well though. I didn't do anything really to the profile when I created it; just added my programs and sysprep'd, sent it down and boom, giant Default Profile. And I can't copy anything over the default profile in windows 7 so I am unsure where to go from here... should I reload the image, delete tons of random stuff out of the profile and then re-image?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    All I left in my mandatory profile was shortcuts, redirected My Documents (which goes to H:\) and that is it. Everything else is locked down via GPO.

6. Thanks to nephilim from:

Bestbett (25th October 2010)

Thank Post
    I guess that is what I will do, I didn't know it was going to make a huge profile like that off the get-go, wish I would have checked that before rolling it out, may have to find a way to use a network-Default Profile now. Thanks a lot.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No worries....a 260mb profile is insane...i'd leave the image as it is, but create a supermandatory profile....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Not sure if this will help at all seeing as your profiles are quite large and may not even be related ( just a thought though )

To start with on one windows 7 machine you could try

1. changing the authentication method from NTLMv2 to use NTLMv1 and only use NTLMv2 if negotiated - you can do this on the local win 7 machine through the security settings ( control panel --> administrative tools --> security policy or local security policy )

2. Use Petri's method to disable SMB Signing Version 2.0 - I would try the above one first but just as a test to see if this helps

I normally reboot after making changes to either one of the above as you defo need a reboot after number 2

How to Disable SMB 2.0 on Windows Vista/2008

Just 2 things that I normally change ( well at least point 1 ) when doing scan to folder to the Ricoh copiers as they dont support NTLMv2 or SMB Signing to a certain degree or DFS unless the firmware has been updated on the MFD and supports these items as they are releasing firmware updates for the MFD line to support these.

Thank Post
    We had a few problems with the default profile when first setting up win 7 through deployment. Same sort of slow response to logons. After some digging around we determined it was because we weren't using <CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile> in the unattend.xml file for the image. Which copies any modifications you do with the profile that you ran sysprep through, and sets up required security on the profile. It also applies to to anyone copying the default profile to a network share and using it for mandatory/superman profiles. This could be the problem.

Never had to do anything that mac_shinobi says to do but I'm not saying it's wrong, I would just add the copyprofile command then see if that makes a difference first, before messing with SMB (as you are using local profiles it should not be an SMB issue) and authentication.
    Last edited by jsnetman; 26th October 2010 at 10:12 AM.

Thank Post
    260MB for a default profile is crazy! The default profile that windows ships with is 1.68MB! Did you follow the guide at How to customize default user profiles in Windows 7 and in Windows Server 2008 R2 to create your new default profile?

Also check out my blog entry at Ric's Blog: Windows 7 Profile Woes for a couple of other tips.

12. Thanks to Ric_ from:

speckytecky (30th October 2010)

Thank Post
    The local default profile could be big depending on how you set the image up. If you pre-installed some apps then the default profile will grow, but this should not affect logon times drastically. If it were a server based profile then yes. Our default local profile is 26mb which is because I got so damned frustrated with deploying office 2007 I stuck it on the image.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,897 Times in 2,131 Posts
    There are a few more tips on what to exclude and redirect on the website below...

http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/virtual...ing-the-bloat/

Thank Post
    Hi bestbett

your second problem is a problem we came across too. It is relating to the setting of requiring a password after sleep

There is a gpo setting for that - computer configuration > policies > admin templates > system > power management > sleep settings > require password on wakeup.

Good luck with the quicker log ons. ours seem random in length with "preparing your desktop" being the crux

16. 2 Thanks to markwilfan:

AngryTechnician (30th October 2010), Bestbett (3rd November 2010)

Thank Post

18. 2 Thanks to Dave84:

Bestbett (4th November 2010), ZeroHour (4th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,376 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you tried that yet?
    Did you use the LDR or GDR version?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast