+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Freeze if no Internet in Technical; Right, bit of an issue with my home network. 2 actually. First is my Netgear router periodically dies and refuses ...
    CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Freeze if no Internet

Right, bit of an issue with my home network. 2 actually.

First is my Netgear router periodically dies and refuses to allow access to the Internet. Windows picks up it is there but it can't access the net, no idea what it's doing. It's a new router to replace my dying old horse from 2003 so it shouldn't hang like that!

Second is a severe issue with my Windows 7 box, not sure if it is related. It starts up and reaches the desktop, then trying to start a browser with no Internet connection causes the taskbar to hang. Then I mouse over an icon on the desktop and the desktop hangs. I can move the mouse about but the rest of the machine is locked. Restart Windows 7, all works fine. It tends to do it when it has no connection to the Internet (making the above problem twice as painful, though sometimes it freezes anyway midway through connecting to the network).

Any ideas how to fix these two issues?

Thank Post
    Re 1) - is it on a UPS? Is anyone torrenting?

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No UPS. And no torrenting since no-one had Internet access at the time due to the router. Plus torrents don't work full stop, suspect my ISP is the cause of that...

Thank Post
    Sure the netgear isnt overheating? They're beggars for it.

5. Thanks to tom_newton from:

CAM (21st October 2010)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It could be. WHat happens is the lights are all normal, the control panel says connected to the net but no actual connection.

I'll try prop it up on something as the underside is pretty hot to the touch compared to other devices I have.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Where does the client DNS point to? Almost all home grade devices are shocking with DNS as they set themselves up as a local DNS cache then helpfully crash suspending any further name resolution and appearing to break the rest of the internet that is not already resolved. First thing I would do is make sure that DNS hands out the upstream ISP DNS servers rather than the local router address (some models don't allow this).

Next thing to check is if you are running anything that opens up a bunch of connections to different ports/IPs (P2P, skype etc) this kind of traffic pattern again tends to show up the weaknesses of a device with on average 4-8mb of RAM to store things. In this case NAT translations for each of the connections can easily fill up the memory and unless it is scavenged very quickly can bring down the router.

Other stuff is as above, overheating or generally junkyness of the hardware. I had one netgear AP once and actually send it back because it behaved so badly for me, it was a comparitivly cheap home grade thing though.

As to the hang up I think it could be plugin related or the weird state of the connection as active but unresponsive. Windows unfourtunatly (and stupidly) still seems to have only one name resolver thread for files/addresses etc. If this gets stuck waiting for a (as seen to it) good network connection that is not actually providing the data it will hang up the resolver untill timeout. I would try opening the browser with the network connection not plugged in, if it still hangs up for ages then it is machine based, if not it is simply the resolver getting confused by the weird network state. The other thing you can check is starting IE or your browser of choice up in safe mode (no plugins) and see if that is any quicker to rule out naughty add-ons.

8. Thanks to SYNACK from:

CAM (21st October 2010)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I gave it a while to test propping the router up on an old box of some sort. It's balanced pretty precariously (especially for a house with two cats!) but the extra air seems to have stopped it crashing for now. I think you were right Tom.

Regarding Windows 7, didn't know about that single thread thing which is odd for an operating system released when people have multiple stuff that goes online. I've since changed to Ubuntu and things load in a fraction of the time at the start.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread