+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Windows 7 Thread, Set resolution via GPO in Windows 7? in Technical; Good afternoon all I was just wondering if there is a way to set the screen resolution for a computer ...
  1. #1
    soveryapt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,417
    Thank Post
    655
    Thanked 278 Times in 245 Posts
    Rep Power
    78

    Set resolution via GPO in Windows 7?

    Good afternoon all

    I was just wondering if there is a way to set the screen resolution for a computer via GPO?

    Basically, the machines running our IWB, I want to ensure run at 1024x768 instead of the native resolutions and I just wondered if there was a way to make this happen via GPO?

    Also, on a similar topic, is there a way to set accessibility options per user with GPO too? We have a couple of visually impaired students and I'd like to be able to set their desktops to something better for them when they log in.

    Many thanks
    Andy

  2. #2
    mrbios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stroud, Gloucestershire
    Posts
    2,579
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 269 Times in 221 Posts
    Rep Power
    101
    Don't know about script but i know a way you can do it in a batch file:

    Change Resolution (chres.exe V1.0) -

    It's in german but you get the jist, whack that in a login script for the student/teacher in question with the resolution you desire

    EDIT: come to think of it, i've not tested to see if it works on windows 7

  3. Thanks to mrbios from:

    soveryapt (15th October 2010)

  4. #3
    soveryapt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,417
    Thank Post
    655
    Thanked 278 Times in 245 Posts
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Don't know about script but i know a way you can do it in a batch file:

    Change Resolution (chres.exe V1.0) -

    It's in german but you get the jist, whack that in a login script for the student/teacher in question with the resolution you desire

    EDIT: come to think of it, i've not tested to see if it works on windows 7
    I'll give it a try ..

  5. #4


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,806
    Thank Post
    231
    Thanked 885 Times in 761 Posts
    Rep Power
    301
    or qres that works in win7

  6. #5
    p858snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,490
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 175 Times in 151 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    51
    You could probably do a registry preference and apply that to the user via gpp (since iirc screen res can only be on the user level and not the machine)

  7. #6


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,806
    Thank Post
    231
    Thanked 885 Times in 761 Posts
    Rep Power
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    You could probably do a registry preference and apply that to the user via gpp (since iirc screen res can only be on the user level and not the machine)
    screen res is per machine isnt it?

  8. #7


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    9,388
    Thank Post
    241
    Thanked 2,815 Times in 2,077 Posts
    Rep Power
    813
    Since you are using Windows 7 you could use a PowerShell script to set the screen resolution. You won't have to rely on any third-party programs then.

    http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com...2-2e150f297515

  9. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    43
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Arthur do I copy the script from the URL you've provided and save it in .ps1 format and attached it to a batch file startup script?

  10. #9


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    9,388
    Thank Post
    241
    Thanked 2,815 Times in 2,077 Posts
    Rep Power
    813
    Yes, except it might be easier not to run it via a batch file.

  11. #10

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    213
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
    Rep Power
    18
    Anyone using the powershell script as a startup script and/or have you got it working with 'best' resolution too? Trying to add this for our laptops and it doesn't seem to do anything, wondering if the laptop display is somehow not the primary display.
    Just incase i've got the wrong end of the stick, I've pointed the startup script to a .ps1 script with parameters "set-screenresolution -width x -height y"; I presume this is the intended method?

    Would like to avoid qres etc but even running this manually doesn't seem to effect the resolution with zero feedback from the console....

    *edit My coding is too rusty to explain it but removing the function around the code seems todo the trick, then just call the script with x and y numbers for the resolution you want.
    Last edited by nicklec; 15th September 2011 at 12:19 PM.

  12. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nicklec View Post
    Anyone using the powershell script as a startup script and/or have you got it working with 'best' resolution too? Trying to add this for our laptops and it doesn't seem to do anything, wondering if the laptop display is somehow not the primary display.
    Just incase i've got the wrong end of the stick, I've pointed the startup script to a .ps1 script with parameters "set-screenresolution -width x -height y"; I presume this is the intended method?

    Would like to avoid qres etc but even running this manually doesn't seem to effect the resolution with zero feedback from the console....

    *edit My coding is too rusty to explain it but removing the function around the code seems todo the trick, then just call the script with x and y numbers for the resolution you want.
    Could you elaborate on this a little bit? I copied and pasted the code, but when i call it nothing happens. I even set the script restrictions trying to get it to work but i am having no luck.

  13. #12
    TheScarfedOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plymouth, Devon
    Posts
    1,161
    Thank Post
    705
    Thanked 172 Times in 156 Posts
    Blog Entries
    78
    Rep Power
    86
    +1 for qres here. Thats what I use, and it works well

  14. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    maybe i misunderstand qres, but i want to do this through GPO for the following reason.
    We have students and users who can change the resolution on a monitor. We want at startup and logout to shift a monitor back to a "default" res (say 1024x768). we would like to be able to also set this at the OU level so it can be 1440x900 for 19'' wide, 1650x1050, etc. We want it to be automatic, and we want to also have the nice effect of the laptop using the whole monitor
    we dont want this for a program reason, we want to set it so one person doesnt leave it at 800x600, and then the next user complains

    edit: i should also mention we are using Windows 7 x64 Enterprise

  15. #14


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,806
    Thank Post
    231
    Thanked 885 Times in 761 Posts
    Rep Power
    301
    I jusr shove a shortcut to qres in a pcs all user startup gets copied their from a gpo applied to an ou or filtered on a group

  16. #15
    TheScarfedOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plymouth, Devon
    Posts
    1,161
    Thank Post
    705
    Thanked 172 Times in 156 Posts
    Blog Entries
    78
    Rep Power
    86
    in as startup and logon/logoff script to ensure it stays as planned. if you use different scripts for staff and students, and or machines, you can achieve what you want to.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. set the default search provider to google with a GPO
    By Arcath in forum Windows Server 2000/2003
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29th April 2010, 01:15 PM
  2. Set the logon screen wallpaper with a GPO
    By Arcath in forum Windows Server 2000/2003
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20th October 2009, 10:51 AM
  3. [Ubuntu] virtualbox windows xp screen resolution and networking
    By RabbieBurns in forum *nix
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 17th June 2009, 06:34 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17th June 2008, 02:01 PM
  5. set clour scheme through gpo
    By chrbb in forum Windows
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21st March 2007, 08:45 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •