+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Cached User profiles in Technical; I'm trying to setup some W7 laptops so that staff can login on the domain during the working day, and ...

Thank Post

Cached User profiles

I'm trying to setup some W7 laptops so that staff can login on the domain during the working day, and also at home offline. When online their My Documents is left redirected to the local drive, which means they can copy files to and from their network share. Works fine online, but when offline their profile doesn't seem to retain the setting that forces their My Documents to the local drive, it seems to create another copy of My Documents?

Also, how does anyone else managed cached profiles when you have a desktop dished out from a server? As when the user logs in offline they get a message saying ''\\server\share\image not available' or similar?

Ideally my offline users would just get their My Documents as normall (local) and locally installed applications - without the errors!

Thank Post
    out of intrest what soft of profile you using?

Roaming or local?

Thank Post
    Its a local profile (i.e created from Default user and group policy settings applied)

Problem is the user can login with a cached profile, but it still tries to connect to redirected Start menus etc, which means an error pops up every so often!

P.S Like the sounds of your new car!

Thank Post
    Right it seems to work with the Local My Documents now, with with folder redirection and cached logins it doesn't work. Something else that's broken in W7. If a user has a redirected desktop and start menu, and logs in with a cached profile (i.e offline) then surely that what the offline files part is supposed to replicate! My users just get errors that the desktop is not available etc.

Thank Post
    In my district we have a locked down Desktop because users always saved stuff to the desktop and when their machine hard drive puked they would always whine, so we redirected their desktop to a DFS Share and locked it down. But for the Documents+, Favorites, Links, we have them redirecting to a DFS share as well without issues. Mine is the same way. What happens with me is when I go home and login it can't find the domain so uses my cached profile, but when I return to work and login and re-establish connection it auto migrates my documents from the cached profile to my DFS location based on our group policies. We have yet to have any problems with that.

Our policy is set in:

User Configuration - Policies - Windows Settings - Folder Redirection - Documents

Target Tab
    Basic - Redirect everyone's folder to the same location
    Create a folder for each user under the root path
    \\<domain>\<DFS Share>\<Root Folder>

Settings Tab
    Grant the user exclusive rights to documents (Unchecked)
    Move the contents of Documents to the new location (Checked)
    Also apply redirection policy to Windows 2000 .... etc (Checked)
    Policy Removal
    Leave the folder in the new location when policy is removed.

Thank Post
    Very similar to ours - except My Documents is redirected to their root network share. Thats working fine, what isn't working is the offline caching of their redirected Desktop and Start Menu (which is why they get errors) .Offline files are working ok (I've tested by manually specifying a few). I've even set the redirected desktop folder as an Administrator specified offline file to synchronise in Group Policy but it still doesn't work! The redirected Desktop and Start Menu are on a read only share.

This did work in XP, and Vista (how ironic!) but it fails on this in W7 and I'm going to have to find a workaround.

Thank Post
    Why not use Offline Files? That way you can keep the folder redirection, the cached profile allows them to log in offline, and any changes they make are automatically sync'd on returning the network.

Si

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread