+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Group Policy Drop-Outs (Win2k / Win2003 Server BG) in Technical; Hi Everyone! Need to try and get this issue resolved ASAP as it's starting to bug me and mostly the ...

Thank Post

Group Policy Drop-Outs (Win2k / Win2003 Server BG)

Hi Everyone!

Need to try and get this issue resolved ASAP as it's starting to bug me and mostly the IT teachers. Every so often, clients will logon fine but the group policy attached to the user will drop out and not apply itself (not great when it's dropping out on students too). I know when I make changes and replicate the servers immediately, the changes come through. However, it's very random (and not attached to one DC causing the issues) to when it happens. Normally a reboot will cure it. Most of the time, it'll be 2 or 3 workstations that have the issue with a whole class of 24 workstations logging in.

I don't have any of the event log errors messages with me at the moment, but could it be that we're still running a Windows 2000 Server Mixed domain forest? We do have 2008 servers ready to take the lead, but our DHCP/DNS services are still running on 2000 servers and they're acting as DCs currently. The 2003 servers are mostly file servers running as DCs.

I really need a direction to go in so I can resolve this as quickly as possible.

Thank Post
    I had a similar error, where some machines would apply GPOs fully and others not quite. It turned out that one of the DCs was having trouble accessing a single GPO. (Looked in the DCs error log (access denied)) anyhow all share permissions were correct and the quick resolve was to reboot the DC the access denied error went away and all workstations applied all policies correctly.

If you get a machine that didn't apply the policy correctly you could run RSOP.msc to show you which DC was appling the policy and check that DCs error logs.

Anyhow this happend twice for me but after a few (hundred) windows updates the problem hasn't shown up again.
    Last edited by chazzy2501; 23rd September 2010 at 09:03 AM. Reason: I'm stupid

Thank Post
    We get this on staff laptops but it's nearly always caused by them plugging in the network cable half way through log on (or logging on before the laptop's obtained an IP address from DHCP). They're effectively logging on using a cached profile. Logging off and on again fixes the problem because now the network is available.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timzim View Post
    We get this on staff laptops but it's nearly always caused by them plugging in the network cable half way through log on (or logging on before the laptop's obtained an IP address from DHCP). They're effectively logging on using a cached profile. Logging off and on again fixes the problem because now the network is available.
    This is not the issue we're getting. The workstations are fixed with DHCP. I guess having older DCs which aren't in-line with the operating system shouldn't matter (unless someone tells me otherwise).

Chazzy2501: When I looked into it before, this was the case and gpupdate /force was throwing up errors when it couldn't read one of the main GPOs. I knew it existed and tried to pin it down to one DC. I'll look at the log files today and try to put the puzzle together.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread