+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 7 Thread, Users redirection not applying intermittently in Technical; Thanks for all of the help guys. Sorry it took me so long to get back here with a little ...

Thank Post
    Thanks for all of the help guys. Sorry it took me so long to get back here with a little update. Problem didn't seem to go away on our laptops, so we are reverting back to XP on those. However, we are still going to keep one of our Labs on Windows 7 as our Chinese Language software requires Windows 7. Hopefully, will be able to figure out the problem a little quicker with it only in one lab.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    ok, worked out why it does it now, just not how to fix it.

User 1 - Logs on, Windows syncs \\school\dfs share down so that indexing works. For whatever reason (Slow link detection/network unplugged/whatever) Windows 7 goes into offline mode. User logs off.
    User 2 - Logs on, Windows still thinks \\school\dfs is in offline mode so tries to take it back online, but can't because for it gets upset about not having access to the existing offline version to check for changes, so it throws up access denied errors. This is why you get an error when you try to access the share. For whatever reason, it's trying to associate another users offline files with it's own, as they are on the same server.

Damned if I know how to resolve it tho, other than murdering offline files like above. If the original user that took it into offline mode logs on, they can put it back in online mode and fix it for all the other users.

Edit: someone else online having the same problem missmiis : DFS shares not accessible using domain name from Windows 7 - Same fix as mine tho.
    Just found this thread as I've been having the same issue, redirection not applying to 1 user on 1 computer. Have disabled offline files and restarted the machine and voila, it now works! Will be keeping my eye out for the issue again now so I can try the same solution. We're not using DFS Namespaces here either so whilst the solution seemed to be targetted more at that it's worked succesfully for our "access denied" on good old Network Shares.

Thank Post

Redirection issues

We have had a fairly similar issue where certain things are not redirected (we don't use roaming profiles though) and the issue is only with people with redirections to a server running 2008 R2.

Microsoft's fix worked for a while but it came back again. Rebooting the server fixes it every time. We are still investigating!

I will include the link to the technet post below. Can't do it in this thread due to it being my first post!

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Does anyone know if SP1 has fixed this?

Thank Post
    I had 5 different machines today with students having issues such as no documents, no start menu and no redirected desktop. After countless restarts and log ons, profile reset etc. we used the tip from Killer_bot.

Logon as an administrative user of the machine. Search for Sync Centre and choose Offline files. Within the new window, choose disable offline files. The machine will then ask for a restart which you will need to carry out. Once restarted, all will be fine!!!!

Thank Post
    Im not going to say that all of the previous suggestions are wrong, but unless the most basic requirements are met these things will keep coming back to bite you in the backside!

If you are using AD integrated DNS and have a Reverse Lookup Zone YOU MUST CHECK IT FOR POLLUTION!

Many of these problems - especially those that are miraculously cured by moving a user to a different PC are caused by incorrect Rdns table entries.

Group Policies will fail if there are duplicate mappings in Rdns - check the Reverse Zones delete duplicate entries, clear caches and re-register the troublesome PC - ipconfig /registerdns

Check the basics first...

8. 2 Thanks to m25man:

Heggy (9th November 2011), himji (1st December 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    Im not going to say that all of the previous suggestions are wrong, but unless the most basic requirements are met these things will keep coming back to bite you in the backside!

If you are using AD integrated DNS and have a Reverse Lookup Zone YOU MUST CHECK IT FOR POLLUTION!

Many of these problems - especially those that are miraculously cured by moving a user to a different PC are caused by incorrect Rdns table entries.

Group Policies will fail if there are duplicate mappings in Rdns - check the Reverse Zones delete duplicate entries, clear caches and re-register the troublesome PC - ipconfig /registerdns

Check the basics first...
    Hi thanks for that. It led me onto realise that my old AD DNS servers were still listed as authoritative and thus still listed in DNS *doh*
    Not sure if it's fixed the issue that you're describing here and it's very rarely we see this reported as most students don't notice or report it but I'll report back if I get a general feel that it has

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Another possibility is the following: I believe that students either accidentally click "Work Offline" from their My Documents, or the PC goes offline, making their My Documents offline automatically. This has the effect of making the entire shared folder, eg \\<Servername>\2009\ offline, and it doesn't automatically come online once the connection is re-established. Therefore when another student of the same year group (Or has their My Documents in \\<Servername>\2009) tries to use the PC, the connection fails as the PC still sees that folder as offline. Once logged in as a student of that year group, and click "Work Online" from their My Documents, the problem is solved. I'm looking at a centralised fix, preferable through group policy.

I'm aware this thread is a bit dead, but thought this info might help someone struggling with this issues as it's had me perplexed since I installed Windows 7 across the school!

Thank Post

12. Thanks to Dave84 from:

simpsonj (12th June 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12