+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Windows 7 Thread, Resetting passwords in Windows 7 in Technical; Does anybody have a nice solution for delegated control of changing passwords in Windows 7? In XP, I installed adminpak.msi ...
  1. #1

    Ric_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,582
    Thank Post
    107
    Thanked 761 Times in 592 Posts
    Rep Power
    180

    Resetting passwords in Windows 7

    Does anybody have a nice solution for delegated control of changing passwords in Windows 7?

    In XP, I installed adminpak.msi and then created a nice little taskpad view ion a MMC.

    In Windows 7, you have to install a 220MB .MSU to install the RSAT tools and then you have to activate the AD DS Administration features before you can use your MMC. This sounds like too much hassle.

    What are other people doing?

  2. #2
    pritchardavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    South Ockendon, Thurrock, United Kingdom
    Posts
    932
    Thank Post
    18
    Thanked 64 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    25
    Why do you find that solution too much hassle, how many computers do you do this on?

  3. #3
    DrCheese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,019
    Thank Post
    97
    Thanked 158 Times in 107 Posts
    Rep Power
    58
    If you have a terminal server, you could use TS remote application mode... so far we've just been putting up with installing the RSA tools on the teaching console in each room, but I may look at another way as the update takes a while to install on some systems.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Surburbia
    Posts
    2,178
    Thank Post
    74
    Thanked 307 Times in 243 Posts
    Rep Power
    114
    I'm not like to do this in the near future sorry, but that would take ~ 50 lines of a dotNet forms app.

    Read a couple of registry (policy key) settings to tell you which OU(s) and maybe which group(s) you delegated the AD rights to, an AD check of whatever account name the user types in, and then password reset itself - a perfect little project for someone who has done the beginner stuff and now wants to tackle something a bit more useful.

  5. #5
    tarquel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Powys, Mid-Wales, UK
    Posts
    1,740
    Thank Post
    13
    Thanked 44 Times in 34 Posts
    Rep Power
    28
    Dunno if it helps but there is the Active Directory Administrative Center that has a password reset panel (as well as a neat AD global search panel) on the Overview/Welcome screen. Suppose its a bit like a skinned version of the bare AD DS Administration tool.

    Without looking, its another option in the RSAT features... you "may" be able to install just this (as opposed to just the main tool and/or both), but naturally you need the RSAT MSU installed/slipsteamed/other

    Cheers
    Nath

  6. #6

    Ric_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,582
    Thank Post
    107
    Thanked 761 Times in 592 Posts
    Rep Power
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by p-dave View Post
    Why do you find that solution too much hassle, how many computers do you do this on?
    Approx. 90 machines as a minimum and installing over 200MB of MSU really seems excessive just to be able to change a password.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    If you have a terminal server, you could use TS remote application mode... so far we've just been putting up with installing the RSA tools on the teaching console in each room, but I may look at another way as the update takes a while to install on some systems.
    The problem there is the time it would take to launch the application... I can hear the complaints already! (It would also make people less lkikely to use the tool).

    Quote Originally Posted by tarquel View Post
    Dunno if it helps but there is the Active Directory Administrative Center that has a password reset panel (as well as a neat AD global search panel) on the Overview/Welcome screen. Suppose its a bit like a skinned version of the bare AD DS Administration tool.

    Without looking, its another option in the RSAT features... you "may" be able to install just this (as opposed to just the main tool and/or both), but naturally you need the RSAT MSU installed/slipsteamed/other
    It is part of the RSAT and it is basically a MMC that combines all the snapins for you.

  7. #7

    Ric_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,582
    Thank Post
    107
    Thanked 761 Times in 592 Posts
    Rep Power
    180
    ^ Bump... anybody?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Windows 7 taskpad for resetting passwords
    By ZeroHour in forum Windows 7
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17th September 2010, 11:14 AM
  2. Resetting HP toner levels
    By fafster in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 27th May 2010, 10:47 PM
  3. Resetting ink carts
    By Dos_Box in forum General Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 22nd June 2009, 05:07 PM
  4. Teachers resetting pupil passwords
    By dave-a in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 9th February 2008, 06:46 PM
  5. Teacher resetting student passwords only
    By shirzay in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18th January 2008, 10:23 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •