+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 renaming home space in Technical; HI Ok, we have a network share for all users in the college. So an example would be \server1\users$\user1 This ...

Thank Post

Windows 7 renaming home space

HI
    Ok, we have a network share for all users in the college.
    So an example would be \\server1\users$\user1
    This has been fine while we have been using windows xp, but we are now testing Windows 7 and I have noticed that peoples homepace has now been changed from \user1 to my documents.
    Any ideas.

Alan.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    yup its discussed on here a fair bit, its down to it making a desktop.ini file inside that folder, if you delete it that will bring its real name back but when they next logon they will get changed. You could script it which is what some do and some change the permissions on desktop.ini so it cannot write to it thus it keeps displaying the correct name.

It is just a visaul thing though if you do \\server1\users$\user1 it still works

Thank Post

Same here

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    It is just a visaul thing though if you do \\server1\users$\user1 it still works
    We get this at my workplace (School). As John rightly says, if you browse to the folder manually (typing in the full UNC path inc. username), the folder will display.

My question(s) is, is it just something that Windows 7 does that Microsoft are likely to fix this in an update (i.e. the 1st Service Pack they are releasing soon)?

We are using a Windows Server 2003 box for all Student profiles so could it be this needs a patch applying?

Failing all the above, if we moved to Server 2008, would this stop happening?

(It's not causing us a problem as such, just interested to know what can be done about it really...?)

Thank Post
    You can
    This has been discussed lots before. If you delete the dekstop.ini file from within the user area then it renames it back but the file will keep reappering. Going to server 2008 will not solve as we have recently upgraded to 2008 and it still occurs.

Check out this microsoft article

In addition you could Run a schedule task to delete the files periodically.
    or
    You could also just add an extra column to the view of windows explorer called “Filename” (windows 7 method) right click on title name in explorer window - click more. Then put a tick next to filename. Click ok and it puts a new column with the names in.

This has been discussed in more depth here
    Home folders renames to My Documents
    Last edited by Chunks_; 8th March 2011 at 11:58 AM.

Thank Post
    We only have this problem with user areas on a server 2008 r2 box. user areas on server 2003 are unaffected for us. I don't know why...i'm just glad!

I changed the permissions on the desktop.ini file for the user on our server 2008r2 box. We have 100, took an hour or so but no issues sincce.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread