+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, KMS Activation Woes in Technical; Help!! I have a number of laptops running Windows 7 Ent and Office 2010 that wont activate against our KMS ...

Thank Post

KMS Activation Woes

Help!!
    I have a number of laptops running Windows 7 Ent and Office 2010 that wont activate against our KMS Server

When we try to activate Windows we get the error 0xC004F074 with description "The Key Management Server (KMS) is unavailable"
    we can ping the KMS Server from the laptop, I have tried
    Code:
    slmgr /skms <FQDN:Port>
    and
    Code:
     slmgr /skms <IPADdress:Port>
    to no avail.

Office 2010 is also showing as unactivated

The only difference is that the laptops are NOT part of our domain..

The laptops are successfully querying DNS and I can do an NSLookup and get the KMS Server SRV record from the DC..

Firewall is also off

Before I resort to the MAK Keys, does anyone know of any reason why a workgroup machine would be unable to activate via KMS?

Google no use as it just tells me to do the above steps

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you looked at the KMS event log on the KMS server (it has its own catagory) this may have some additional answers. It should still activate them even if they are not domain joined (have seen my unjoined base images activate automaticlly).

When you refer to the firewall I'm assuming you mean the server firewall and that you have enabled the KMS Server rule for both domain and public networks.

Do you have other machines that have activated sucessfully via the KMS and are there any devices inbetween the laptops and the rest of the network that may be sidetracking the high port numbers that KMS uses like a router/switch configured with access lists.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Have you looked at the KMS event log on the KMS server (it has its own catagory) this may have some additional answers. It should still activate them even if they are not domain joined (have seen my unjoined base images activate automaticlly).
    No errors in the logs..
    When you refer to the firewall I'm assuming you mean the server firewall and that you have enabled the KMS Server rule for both domain and public networks.
    Firewall is off on the server and client
    Do you have other machines that have activated sucessfully via the KMS and are there any devices inbetween the laptops and the rest of the network that may be sidetracking the high port numbers that KMS uses like a router/switch configured with access lists.
    All our Domain machines are activated, and as soon as I joined one of the laptops to the domain, it activated...

Thank Post
    KMS is a VL technology so is normally activated on domain joined machines. In order to use it on workgroup machines you need to point them in the right direction - see For KMS clients to be activated, do you have to join them to the domain or they can be activated if they are on the same subnet as KMS host, as workgroup clients? for details

Thank Post
    done all that... it doesnt help matters..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread