+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Allowing Search on Start Menu in Technical; I'm in the process of locking down Windows 7 for our students and have hit a snag... I'm trying to ...
    Thank Post

Allowing Search on Start Menu

I'm in the process of locking down Windows 7 for our students and have hit a snag...

I'm trying to allow them to search from the start menu but it doesn't find anything because we have hidden and disabled access to the c: drive via gpo.
    If i remove the "Prevent access to drives from My Computer" setting then they can search but it is then possible for them to browse the c: drive when opening/saving a file. It's still hidden in My Computer because of the "Hide these specified drives in My Computer" setting.

Is there any way i can allow them to search (just needs the start menu folder(s)) but not leave it open so that they can see the drive through other ways?

Thanks in advance

Thank Post
    I've got a re-directed start menu to a location they can see (though can't write to). That works OK. I wouldn't want the students searching the C: drive at all.

Thank Post
    Dragging up an old post.
    I have the same issue, I have got it working with a re-directed start menu. However this then casues problems when you use AppV as that folder with all the AppV shortcuts doesn't appear under Prrograms. It is as though it gets applied then the re-directed start menu wipes over the machine copy and therfore doens't allow you to see the Application Virtualization Apps.

Any ideas?
    I was hoping to not have to worry about programs structure and just let the students search for the apps they want.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bmdixon View Post
    I'm in the process of locking down Windows 7 for our students and have hit a snag...

I'm trying to allow them to search from the start menu but it doesn't find anything because we have hidden and disabled access to the c: drive via gpo.
    If i remove the "Prevent access to drives from My Computer" setting then they can search but it is then possible for them to browse the c: drive when opening/saving a file. It's still hidden in My Computer because of the "Hide these specified drives in My Computer" setting.

Is there any way i can allow them to search (just needs the start menu folder(s)) but not leave it open so that they can see the drive through other ways?

Thanks in advance
    Was this ever sorted?

Just run into the same issue, can either relax the 'Prevent Access to Drives from My Computer' or map the start menu to a remote share.

:/

I have tried manually indexing a c: drive location and mapping the start menu to that location but it comes up with the same issue. Seems to index System32 and other locations fine though :s

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread