+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Wake on lan + windows 7 in Technical; having some issues getting this working, if i install XP on any of the machines here ALL of them work ...
    Thank Post

Wake on lan + windows 7

having some issues getting this working, if i install XP on any of the machines here ALL of them work fine and dandy (one particular model has to have a setting changed in it's network config in windows, other than that though all good) in windows 7 though it seems to be an entirely different kettle of fish....

The network adaptor in my test machine is an RTL8111B, windows 7 pro 32bit, everything enabled in the bios, i've tried 4 different drivers 1. the one built into windows 7 2. an old 32bit vista driver 3. the latest driver from realtek site and 4. some other random asus driver i found

tried all different settings in the network config as well, now im completely stumpted, any suggestions?

EDIT: oh in XP when shut down the network lights stay on, in windows 7 they go off instantly

Thank Post
    No one have any idea? Surely there must be others with the same problem?

I'm also very unimpressed as to the amount of tweaks ive had to do to windows 7 over the past 6 months in order to make it secure enough that kids can't screw things up, so many things that should be GPOs and arent

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    No one have any idea? Surely there must be others with the same problem?

I'm also very unimpressed as to the amount of tweaks ive had to do to windows 7 over the past 6 months in order to make it secure enough that kids can't screw things up, so many things that should be GPOs and arent
    You checked in device manager under its properties then advanced check in the long list as my home PC has Wake on Magic Packets and the other Wake On stuff turned off / disabled by default on a Realtek GB Nic

Care to share what tweaks and areas you have concerns over? As you will have spotted we have a number of members moving to Win 7 this summer en-mass (decided this by reading the sheer number of moving to Win 7 posts of late etc) and be good to know them

Thank Post
    No concerns over tweaks any more, spent about 5-6 months prior to the summer tweaking, chopping and changing things in order to get it all sorted, was a more of a moan than a plea for help I've actually finished rolling out windows 7 to every PC in the school now.

I've checked the advanced properties, only 3 settings that seem to apply to WOL: "Shutdown wake on lan" "Wake on magic packet" and "wake on ... soemthing else" all are enabled (i've tried "shutdown wake on lan" disabled)

Thank Post
    Found the problem, where all the machines had previously been XP and all the machine account were happily created and sitting in AD, when all the machines were wiped and had windows 7 installed we've just added them to the domain with the same names as before and the machine accounts have just updated themselves....

Somewhere in those machine accounts though is something stopping it from working, we're using spec ops gpupdate pro (or remote admin as it was previously known) and it seems other programs you simply enter the MAC address and IP into work fine. Is there any easy way, apart from deleting all the machine accounts and adding all machines to the domain again, that could resolve this?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread