+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Win7 User Config Issues in Technical; Right, Thought I'd add to the how do I configure Win7 Issues. I have three problems as far as I ...

Thank Post

Win7 User Config Issues

Right,
    Thought I'd add to the how do I configure Win7 Issues.
    I have three problems as far as I can see:
    1: How do I hide the network without hacking the registry. Not massively keen on that idea unless I have too. is there a GP?
    2: When I log as a student in I seem to have a "student" icon, a libaries icon and a "Control Panel Icon". How do I stop the latter two appearing?
    3: When I click on the "Student" icon it brings up a number of folders. These seem to be a merge of the students network locations and local ones. For examply I have a "Pictures" folder looking at c:\users\student\pictures and a "My Pictures" looking at h:\my pictures. How do I stop the local ones appearing?

Help please!

Thank Post
    There are several threads on this - but a comprehensive one covering your points can be found in the Windows 7 forum as a sticky. Note that this won't hide these locations within Office though.

Thank Post
    Having been throug that thread I'm still having issues...
    3: Deleting the "desktop.ini" as per the instruction in the re-directed folders seems to make no difference. When I enabled the GPO (@GATT's post) it hid half the icons, unfortunately the re-directed half so user's couldn't access their documents. IT also seems to break my re-directed start menu.
    2: Enabling the GPO (from point 3) did get rid of my unwanted desktop icons but had the other side effect that means I can't use it.
    1: Had a quick look at the ADM however I was wondering if it's possible to apply it to the user rather than the machine (can I just change the class??) as I'd quite like those settings to be there when I log in!

Thank Post
    I have used windows 7 once and I encountered some critical issues so what I did was go back from XP T_T

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OljaCutz View Post
    I have used windows 7 once and I encountered some critical issues so what I did was go back from XP T_T
    Yeah, by the looks of the the critical issue was between keyboard and chair ;-)

Thank Post
    No, I think from the user itself lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    Having been throug that thread I'm still having issues...
    3: Deleting the "desktop.ini" as per the instruction in the re-directed folders seems to make no difference. When I enabled the GPO (@GATT's post) it hid half the icons, unfortunately the re-directed half so user's couldn't access their documents. IT also seems to break my re-directed start menu.
    2: Enabling the GPO (from point 3) did get rid of my unwanted desktop icons but had the other side effect that means I can't use it.
    1: Had a quick look at the ADM however I was wondering if it's possible to apply it to the user rather than the machine (can I just change the class??) as I'd quite like those settings to be there when I log in!
    3 & 2. In your redirection check if you have compatible with Windows XP etc set, if so Documents will redirect as My Documents etc, which may be causing some of your problems.
    1. Use security filtering on the GPO.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread