+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, You do not have permission ... contact Administrator! in Technical; Whenever I try to save a file I get this message. A file is saved with 0kb. I then save ...
    Thank Post

You do not have permission ... contact Administrator!

Whenever I try to save a file I get this message. A file is saved with 0kb. I then save again to the same folder with the same name, get a message stating the file already exists do I want to overwrite. I click Yes and the file saves.

This is on my home PC, I am the administrator and I do have access permissions on everything. Well at least I thought I did. I've put up with it but now it's just annoying. Anyone got any ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Where are you trying to save to, certain folders are protected and can only be written to by an elevated account Administrator. To test if you are being caught up in this open the program you are trying to save from by right clicking its icon and selecting "Run as Administrator". Once you have opened the program in this elevated context it should be able to save wherever the NTFS permissions allow.

This is very simmilar to something that drove me nuts in Ubuntu as starting up a process in the root/Administrator context rather than the default limited context was (at least at that time) a much less seamless experience.

Thank Post
    It doesn't seem to matter where I try to save. There is no Run as Admin option on the context menu.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Are you already logged on as the local "administrator" account? (as this removes the option)

Just to make sure you were right clicking an exe or link to one to look for the run as?

What version of 7 is it?

Do you have UAC on? (looking for yes)

Can you move a file to the same location and does this generate a UAC elevation prompt?

Have you run a scandisk/checkdisk on the volume?

Do you have any old AV software installed on it that may be messing with the API calls?

Thank Post
    Full error message:
    You don’t have permission to modify files in this network location. Opening a new file and Save works fine. Anything else and I get the error message.
    Are you already logged on as the local "administrator" account? (as this removes the option)
    Yes
    Just to make sure you were right clicking an exe or link to one to look for the run as?
    Yes
    What version of 7 is it?
    Professional
    Do you have UAC on? (looking for yes)
    Yes default setting
    Can you move a file to the same location and does this generate a UAC elevation prompt?
    In Windows Explorer using drag and drop yes but it doesn’t generate an elevation prompt
    Do you have any old AV software installed on it that may be messing with the API calls?
    Installed same AV after Win 7 upgrade as before - NOD32
    Have you run a scandisk/checkdisk on the volume?
    Not recently no will do that now - done with no errors found

Thanks
    Last edited by leco; 25th July 2010 at 02:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Weird, are the files in a network location or are you accessing them through a UNC of the localmachine? So long as you have the latest version of NOD32 this should be fine as I have lots of machines running it at one place under 7 Prox64 with no issues. If it is a network location or through a UNC then I am guessing that it could be something to do with IE security zones as these affect explorer too. Going into internet settings and adding the UNC into the local intranet or trusted sites zones may help but this is not something that I have come across before.

Thank Post
    Nope not in a network location this is anywhere in c:/user/me/documents, that's what I don't understand. Shouldn't need a safe zone in IE. It's been like this since I first installed 7 but I've not had time to sort it. Most odd.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah, it could be to do with the version of NOD you are running given the amount of results this search just returned: Windows 7 "You don’t have permission to modify files in this network location" on local drive - Google Search=

Apparently disabling real time protection "scan on create" may resolve it:
    Nod32 v4.0.467 and Windows 7 error when saving pictures from IE8... - Wilders Security Forums

Edit: Microsoft Security Essentials is worth a look if it is your version of NOD, I have it on all my home gear.

Thank Post
    Ha, great minds. Just been to the Wilders site and read the threads. Eset came up with a solution to the apparent bug. Have installed the new version so will see how it goes. However, I now have to install on my other machines also - still I don't have anything else to do.

Thanks for your time and help, yet again.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread