+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 Printers - HP UPD this time in Technical; Hi Firstly I have seen the other threads about the joys of Windows 7 and printers, oh what fun.... We ...

Thank Post

Windows 7 Printers - HP UPD this time

Hi
    Firstly I have seen the other threads about the joys of Windows 7 and printers, oh what fun....
    We have our own problem with w7 drivers currently affecting the HP universal printer driver (5.1) for w7 x86 where it takes up to 2 mins to add a queue to windows per printer.
    The event log registers event id 1000 "Interactive Service Detection" as having a fault when trying to install the queue. It would also have this:
    C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe
    {queue name} Properties

The handle is invalid
    in the entry but the weird thing is the printers would be added and you can print to them as far as I have tested. Not sure why it takes so long to install but it appears to be an issue with the UPD drivers from HP and causes the event 1000 to be raised.

Any one have any possible suggestions or have experienced it before?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Yep, saw this on Vista too. It's the UPD alright, and it's been happening for years. I've never managed to get anyone at HP to take any interest in getting fixed.

The 'Interactive service detection' is telling you that the driver is popping up a dialog box in 'session 0', which is the console session assigned to service applications. Before Vista, the first user to logon would also run in session 0, but this was changed to improve security by ensuring that the local user could never interact with software running in a service account, which would allow them elevated privileges.

Basically, popping up any UI in session 0 is now forbidden according to Microsoft application standards. However, some of the HP printer drivers still do it in certain circumstances (especially when assigning printers via Group Policy). While Windows has systems to mitigate this (basically allowing an admin to switch to session 0 temporarily to dismiss it), if it happens during logon, it's impossible to switch to session 0, so you can't dismiss it. Eventually the logon service times out waiting for the dismissal and proceeds with the logon, which is the delays you're seeing.

Suggestions:

1. Try a different driver, such as the specific driver for that printer if one is available
    2. Replace your HP printers with one from a company that can write drivers properly.

I'll be honest, I've had more luck with option 2 than option 1.
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 22nd July 2010 at 11:12 AM.

3. 2 Thanks to AngryTechnician:

it-hell (22nd July 2010), ZeroHour (22nd July 2010)

Thank Post
    Yeah, the HP UPD has caused me a fair bit of grief. I have switched back to the standard driver for one printer, and will monitor the rest.

Thank Post
    Oh joy.. I have resolving printing issues with HP printers on our 2008R2 TS farm down on my job list. HP UPDs were what I was going to look at.............

Thank Post
    Well, in many circumstances here it works fine (the PCL5 one). However, it caused issues with printing from Foxit (I won't use Acrobat for the most part, as it's so bulky) and if you tried loading Nova-T4 with the HP printer as default it'd crash Nova out. Fairly minor, especially if you don't use those, but very irritating.

7. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

joe90bass (22nd July 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks. I'll give it a go then - we won't be running Nova-T4 or Foxit on our TS farm.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Well, in many circumstances here it works fine (the PCL5 one). However, it caused issues with printing from Foxit (I won't use Acrobat for the most part, as it's so bulky) and if you tried loading Nova-T4 with the HP printer as default it'd crash Nova out. Fairly minor, especially if you don't use those, but very irritating.
    Did you manually install the queues?

Thanks for all the info all btw, just really depressing info thats all....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,336 Times in 816 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Had similiar issues using 2008 r2 print server. We are *trying* the xerox universal driver out now to see how that goes but the issue we have found is not all our printers have their own drivers and hp just tells you to use universal, fail...

Thank Post
    @it-hell - Didn't do anything like that, just deployed them via GPP. That all worked fine. It was critical to set the Print Processors to be the Winprint RAW processor though, otherwise our x86/x64 driver setup wouldn't work on most PCs.

12. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

it-hell (22nd July 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    RE: xerox driver, its worthless and doesnt actually print....
    Also it appears a ton of the drivers for HP's do the error as well.... and thats before we get to the fact HP have nerfed w7 support in a fair few models telling you to use UPD. Even their *current* models have no support such as the P3005....
    Angry: whats a good printer manufacturer?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Angry: whats a good printer manufacturer?
    Ah, the £1,000,000 question. Personally I'm not sure if such a thing exists...

I used to say Xerox but went off them last year, as you have done too I see. My most recent purchase has been a Kyocera Mita, which seems fine so far, though no doubt someone will be by in a minute to tell me how bad the Kyocera Mita printers are.

15. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

ZeroHour (23rd July 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Ah, the £1,000,000 question. Personally I'm not sure if such a thing exists...

I used to say Xerox but went off them last year, as you have done too I see. My most recent purchase has been a Kyocera Mita, which seems fine so far, though no doubt someone will be by in a minute to tell me how bad the Kyocera Mita printers are.

Those Kyocera got good drivers?

Thank Post
    I've used the Windows Update option in printers to add all of the Microsoft supplied ones here, not had any that aren't on that list yet (it's huge!).

Got HP 2300n, 2420n, 3005n, 3015n, 4200n, 4250n, 5550dn all working perfectly on R2 for the last year with x86 and x64 drivers. Bonus is that they are all signed too!

In terms of new printers, I'd quite like to get some reconditioned 4200s, they are pretty indestructable. New ones like the 3015 are a bit plasticy.

18. 2 Thanks to DMcCoy:

AngryTechnician (23rd July 2010), ZeroHour (23rd July 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    I've used the Windows Update option in printers to add all of the Microsoft supplied ones here, not had any that aren't on that list yet (it's huge!).

Got HP 2300n, 2420n, 3005n, 3015n, 4200n, 4250n, 5550dn all working perfectly on R2 for the last year with x86 and x64 drivers. Bonus is that they are all signed too!

In terms of new printers, I'd quite like to get some reconditioned 4200s, they are pretty indestructable. New ones like the 3015 are a bit plasticy.
    Does windows update install the x86 ones too?
    some of those would be nice

Thank Post
    Well I have just redone our TS farm with the HP v5.1 UPDs and installed on our print server and so far so good! The true test will be Sept when the printers get a hammering again, hopefully thought this will be the end of the print spoolers falling over...........

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast