+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows XP, great new look in Technical; Well been working hard trying to get Windows 7 working as we want on the network for the last 2 ...
    Thank Post

Windows XP, great new look

Well been working hard trying to get Windows 7 working as we want on the network for the last 2 weeks, almost there, so been using nothing but 7 for the last few weeks.

Returned to using Windows XP on my other laptop today and WOW, just WOW. Its such a pleasure to use, just as it says during install "A great new look"

Anybody else find Windows 7 is just too "busy". Windows 7 looks very very nice, but when it comes to actually using it, my head just hurts, too much going on, the screen is so cluttered and tasks are taking so much longer to do.

Control panel is just taking the p*ss now. I put it into classic mode and i get about 700 control panels! (Not actually 700, but feels like it).

Do not even get me started on Librarys!

Can see me keeping to XP on machines i have to use! I cannot be the only one who is trying to like 7, but it just hurts the head too much.

2. 4 Thanks to Quackers:

BatchFile (22nd July 2010), Gibbo (21st July 2010), speckytecky (22nd July 2010), tommccann (20th July 2010)

Thank Post
    I started playing with Server 2008 and I found it was a pain. Everything was not where I expected it to be, and to do something simple like assign a static IP seemed to take an age with browsing through a maze of menus.

I'm sure it will all make sense when I start getting used to where stuff is, but at the moment it seems like a completely foreign OS to me.

Thank Post
    Simple answer for me is No. XP is tired and dated and it has been an excellent OS for many years, but its time to look to the future and move on. Things change and we have to adapt. After using 7 now for so long I cringe when I go to an XP workstation. In no way is 7 perfect and I don't pretend it is but it is a good improvement over vista.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnix View Post
    I think the interface to Windows (in general) is awful.

For a start, program files should be grouped by function, rather than the manufacturers' name. I've got a ton of software installed on my XP and have to rack my little brain to try to remember the company that made an obscure utility I need.

I've got a Windows 7 machine at home but I don't like it. It exists just to run Publisher.

I much prefer Gnome on Linux. Yes, really. The program grouping is sensible, your stuff is in 'Home', not 'My Documents/Music/Little Pony"

I used to like KDE (the lean mean 3.5) but they ruined it with KDE 4+.
    you can do that if you want most programs do ask where you want shortcuts made you dont have to accept the defaults. My networks start menus are set that way so i have so art/history/music/writing/other etc

Thank Post
    i'm using 7 on alot of my devices... wont be moving back. i persoanally find it easy to use, as does the gf, brother, sister, 50 yr old dad who only reads e-mails... use it at work, no problems there.... XP was easy to use but so is 7, and it comes with better features.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs_mjs View Post
    i'm using 7 on alot of my devices... wont be moving back. i persoanally find it easy to use, as does the gf, brother, sister, 50 yr old dad who only reads e-mails... use it at work, no problems there.... XP was easy to use but so is 7, and it comes with better features.
    Same for me! As much as I liked XP, I changed to Vista almost as soon as that came out......then almost straight back again!!! Once I'd done some testing with W7, I found that I really enjoyed it....but still have only changed my work desktop to it in the last week or so. I won't be going back to XP now!

Thank Post

For a start, program files should be grouped by function, rather than the manufacturers' name. I've got a ton of software installed on my XP and have to rack my little brain to try to remember the company that made an obscure utility I need.

I've got a Windows 7 machine at home but I don't like it. It exists just to run Publisher.

I much prefer Gnome on Linux. Yes, really. The program grouping is sensible (by function), your stuff is in 'Home', not 'My Documents/Music/Little Pony"

I used to like KDE (the lean mean 3.5) but they ruined it with KDE 4+.

A short post, but I've digressed already.
    I've just come 'back' from Linux to Windows as I got fed up trying to make things work, in particular, the sound on a mainstream manufacturer laptop - it was either off, extremely low, or on at full blast! Despite my efforts over several weeks of putting up with it, I gave up as I really don't have time to faff around. Installing Windows 7 on the laptop, save for a Nvidia driver update, it just works.

I use Mac's a lot too, and whilst I 'enjoy' that OS, I think Windows 7 has a lot going for it. I wouldn't personally go back to XP now. The taskbar in 7 is absolutely brilliant for me.

Thank Post

Its not Microsoft that you want to blame for that - its the software designers who want to brand their name over everything.
    As a later posted stated you can always change the shortcuts should you so wish

Thank Post
    I'm so tempted to buy WebCams for every computer out of my own money for when the staff get back from the hols .. W7 is arriving .. so to capture their faces when they boot up .. first the excitement of a shiny new box .. then the bewilderment at the lack of XP .. lol .. I'll also be writing a crib sheet to go with each machine me thinks .. lol ..

Thank Post
    Or with 7/vista hit the start button and type the name of the application and it finds it for you

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TronXP View Post
    Or with 7/vista hit the start button and type the name of the application and it finds it for you
    I wonder where they got that idea from *presses cmd + space on his MacBook Pro* .. lol ..

Thank Post
    I forced myself to break from my XP install and use my new copy of Windows 7 on my office PC I bought. That was January, haven't even booted XP on here since. Some annoying things, but as I've learned my way round them, so I can adapt the other new PCs in the school. I still like using XP though, doesn't feel dated to me, more 'classic'.

Thank Post
    I know it's been posted before on EduGeek but ... michaelv.org .. now that's classic windows for you! lol ..

Thank Post
    I've got a ton of software installed on my XP and have to rack my little brain to try to remember the company that made an obscure utility I need.
    In W7 and Vista just start typing the name of the program into the search box, or use Launchy or similar on XP.

(Or organise your start menu better!)

Ace
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    I know it's been posted before on EduGeek but ... michaelv.org .. now that's classic windows for you! lol ..
    Ohhh, I remember 3.1 (and GEM, Windows 2.0, 3.0 [the first attempt at ME/Vista]) those were the days.......

A

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast